Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John Aldridge/Sunday World Comedy Thread

• 28-07-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I wish to start a thread for discussion on John Aldridge and his column in the Sunday World or for those who wish to discuss any of the other writers for the Sunday world.

I am not a Liverpool fan but I enjoy reading John's articles. I find them comical as he appears to be still living in the late 80's/early 90's when Liverpool were a superpower.

John's articles are completely one sided and have no basis on current football. I feel the reason that John is employed to write these articles are to provide laughs and wind ups as he can not be taken seriously on all of his opinions, he is a man living on cloud cuckoo land.

Today, John provides us with a humorous article on how the current Liverpool team are far superior than Arsenal and compares each part of the field between the two teams. John's conclusions are that Liverpool edge Arsenal in each department

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I wish to start a thread for discussion on John Aldridge and his column in the Sunday World or for those who wish to discuss any of the other writers for the Sunday world.

I am not a Liverpool fan but I enjoy reading John's articles. I find them comical as he appears to be still living in the late 80's/early 90's when Liverpool were a superpower.

John's articles are completely one sided and have no basis on current football. I feel the reason that John is employed to write these articles are to provide laughs and wind ups as he can not be taken seriously on all of his opinions, he is a man living on cloud cuckoo land.

Today, John provides us with a humorous article on how the current Liverpool team are far superior than Arsenal and compares each part of the field between the two teams. John's conclusions are that Liverpool edge Arsenal in each department
    Ye just commented on it in the arsenal thread, the dillusion is strong in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thinly veiled Liverpool and delusion shocker thread.

We all think John Aldridge is a bit of a plank when it comes to journalism.

/Close thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ex player bias shocker
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In before someone mentions Irwin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Knex. wrote: »
    Thinly veiled Liverpool and delusion shocker thread.

We all think John Aldridge is a bit of a plank when it comes to journalism.

/Close thread.

Nobody is allowed discuss John Aldridges weekly article in a Sunday newspaper, because there is the risk that in discussing it, we highlight some idiocy on his part, and that will offend some Liverpool fans.

Got it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes he's up there with Crerand...Nicholas...Smith...Piers Morgan as being deluded relating to the team he supports. But your great thread idea is nearly 3 years too late....he peaked with the Torres stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

meriwether wrote: »
    Nobody is allowed discuss John Aldridges weekly article in a Sunday newspaper, because there is the risk that in discussing it, we highlight some idiocy on his part, and that will offend some Liverpool fans.

Got it?

Nah, not at all.

We laugh at him ourselves over in the Liverpool thread.

Just don't see the point of starting a thread solely for Aldridge. Plenty of ex players who make fools of themselves on a regular basis.

I will say though, an awful lot of ex Liverpool players in punditry wreck my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nah, not at all.

Just don't see the point of starting a thread solely for Aldridge. Plenty of ex players who make fools of themselves on a regular basis.

I will say though, an awful lot of ex Liverpool players in punditry wreck my head.

Especially ronnie whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Nah, not at all.

Ok, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yes he's up there with Crerand...Nicholas...Smith...Piers Morgan as being deluded relating to the team he supports. But your great thread idea is nearly 3 years too late....he peaked with the Torres stuff.

Crerand is on another level lets all agree in that

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Especially ronnie whelan.

Lawro is grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He talks some absolute sh1te, should wear a nappy over his mouth!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He talks some absolute bolllocks, should wear a nappy over his mouth!

Nappy? A pair of jocks would do grand for bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

GTR63 wrote: »
    Nappy? A pair of jocks would do grand for bollocks.

Fixed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

The Sunday World, haven't read that in years.

When I was a kid they had a column with Dave O'Leary called Gunner's Gossip. Arsenal were fairly sh1te at the time during the Gunners Gossip years and Dave didn't have much to blow about and there wasn't much gossip either. They also used to have scantily clad girls on page 3 but they weren't topless maybe that was to differentiate from The Sun. Fr. Brian Darcy also had a column, maybe he still does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A man from Liverpool, who played for them and continues to work with the club writes a positive article about Liverpool? I'm stunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

A man from Liverpool, who played for them and continues to work with the club writes a positive article about Liverpool? I'm stunned.

Positive or seriously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's still a way behind Crerand in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

GTR63 wrote: »

He was actually right on that occasion.

• Advertisement

Reading the Sunday World isn't something to be bragging about OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every club has a daft ex pro turned cheerleader. Hardly worth singling out Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That goal got us into 2nd round that time.

At least Aldridge admits he is biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think the op is in any position to criticise anybody. I remember him saying that Ferguson was retiring because he was a afraid of Chelsea and that it would ruin his legacy to retire a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Aldridge is pretty shocking all right. A lot of ex-players are when it comes to their ex team.

I think Redknapp, Crerand, Macari, Summerbee, Thompson etc. are all blinded by thier ex club.

Paddy Crerand is absolutely shocking to listen to. I wish you could mute him and the only reason he and his ilk get so much media exposure is because of their blinded antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Crerand is at least confined to MUTV, you see the people like Cascarino and Aldridge (Dwight Yorke I wont include yet ironically due to personal bias :P) on Sky and in newspapers peddling their retarded opinions which in turn influence the idiot element of each fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

then you have Stewart Robson who's the complete opposite, wouldn't say a good word about arsenal or wenger to save himself

apparently it's because he was sacked/not renewed when working for arsenal tv

and there's Tony Adams, while not saying anything bad really, is in a state of perpetual bemusement at the fact the club haven't offered him a coaching role, the assistant mangers job or even the position of chairman, he's said he'd work for free and make the tea :D
    he might just be being honest when giving interviews, i'm not sure but it comes across as 'you remember me and they're shutting me out now'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lads, all I can say is you're spared the most ridiculous, most biased, most idiotic pundit of the them all.....ex-Munster rugby player Frankie Sheahan. He is a complete clown and an agent to many of the Munster players to whom he ONLY ever awards man of the match awards. Even Munster fans laugh at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he always has a go at city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pat Nevin has had some interesting articles and views over on chelseafc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The night he sang Ring Of Fire live on RTE....unforgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think must write his column on a Saturday night after a few jars,
    example of crap he writes in article below backing his buddy Jason McAteer and after a row with Stephen Cluxton

http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/opinion/john-aldridge/cluxton-and-mcateer-aldo-s-view

Gael85 wrote: »
    I think must write his column on a Saturday night after a few jars,
    example of crap he writes in article below backing his buddy Jason McAteer and after a row with Stephen Cluxton

http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/opinion/john-aldridge/cluxton-and-mcateer-aldo-s-view

It's a rag of a paper so what do you expect. It's as bad as any of the rags in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

im not surprised really with the comments about aldos article in the Sunday
    world , he is similar to thommo on SSN every saturday afternoon in being a true red and that he doesnt try to hide it :D its pure comic value especially with how thommo reacts everytime LFC are not going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

im not surprised really with the comments about aldos article in the Sunday
    world , he is similar to thommo on SSN every saturday afternoon in being a true red and that he doesnt try to hide it :D its pure comic value especially with how thommo reacts everytime LFC are not going well

It's the fact that he's practically illiterate that gets me.

A 10 year old would write some of the stuff he comes out with.

I think his heart is in the right place, but just doesn't have the intelligence to be writing for newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Gael85 wrote: »

Is this going to be a weekly thing now? :pac:
    Funny stuff, your man fairly ripped into Aldo in the second link.
    Using Dunphy as a measure of how to back up an argument is loltastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

icon14.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Aldo...idiot savant.

Irish legend!

Scored the goals that got Ireland to Italy 1990. V Malta iirc?

The Sunday World :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

lol

Lol, just noticed this thread is nearly a year old :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Aldridge, and all Sunday World journalists are brutal.

djPSB wrote: »
    Aldridge, and all Sunday World journalists are brutal.

Over 200,000 people buy that paper every week. Jaysus.

He writes for that rag for a reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Over 200,000 people buy that paper every week. Jaysus.

He writes for that rag for a reason!

To be fair, those 200,000 people are getting exactly what they want from John an co.

Fescue wrote: »
    To be fair, those 200,000 people are getting exactly what they want from John an co.

Precisely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Sunday World is an overpriced rag.

How much is it these days €2.60 is it, for pages of ads.

Advertisement