Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mucus in dog poo?

• 28-07-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, strange/gross question but I noticed that my dog's poo was covered in a white sort of mucus/slime,it happened once a few weeks ago and it happened again today...does this ever happen to anyone else's dog?is there any need to bring her to the vet?any help much appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You'll get this from time to time, and I'm pretty sure it's a sign of a mild inflammation of the gut wall... I see you're feeding Hill's, so this strengthens my suspicion that your dog is showing the beginnings of an allergy to something in the food. It's usually cereals that cause this sort of irritation, so I'd urge you to go for a cereal-free food.
    But as always, if this persists, or if the symptoms worsen, you'll need to get to the vet to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My springer gets this from time to time, my vet advised it is a symptom of colitis.
    It usually flares up when he scavanges stuff. As in we got a new compost bin so he knocked it over and ate the contents (which included nearly a full loaf of moldy bread)

He has no other symptoms so I just get some gut liner from the vet if he's bad.

Edit: I have a friend who equates the deposits to him having given birth to little alien babies :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Mucus in poo is usually a sign of inflammation in the gut. If it is the only symptom, it's nothing to worry about. If it is accompanied by other symptoms (dodgy poo, excessive gas etc.) it may be an idea to get it checked by the vet.

Keep note of when it happens, and whether there is something that precedes the episode (like routing in the bin the day before, eating large volumes of grass etc.) to be aware of what could potentially cause it.

Advertisement