Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem playing a blueray

Options
  • 28-07-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a problem playing the dredd Blueray on my PC. The disk works in a playstation 3 and other bluerays work on my PC but for some reason both powerdvd 9 and VLC don't like this particular disk.

I've installed the patch for powerdvd and tried this fix for vlc but neither seem to work.

I've updated the firmware of the drive but it makes no difference.

Comments

PowerDVD 9 is too old for modern Blurays.

The VLC thing you posted works for some discs but again you've got the same problem; those keys are quite old and Dredd may use some newer form of protection. Can you play older discs in VLC using this method?

I would rip the disc with MakeMKV, DVDFab or AnyDVD, depending on whether you are happy with just the movie, if you want menus, extras etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I didn't realise they'd been changing bluerays.

Thing is I'd already downloaded (pirated) the film itself so all I want to see off the disk is the extras and wanted to watch the film again in full quality.

What software will actually play bluerays? I won't be buying powerdvd again seeing as it has a limited lifespan.

Guess I should just stick to the illegal copies at least I'll know they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

I do have to chuckle at the fact that a moderator on this forum has admitted to downloading movies illegally, and feels just fine in doing so, while in other threads, we're not even allowed discuss methods to get around the TPB blocks, even if we say it's all for Linux distros.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I didn't realise they'd been changing bluerays.

BluRay uses several layers of DRM and unlike DVD they can update the protection used, revoke keys etc. So even a standalone hardware player requires periodic updates for newer discs.

And the problem with software players like PowerDVD is that they saw this as a great way to rip customers off, they only provide updates for 2 years and then EOL that version, requiring you to buy the latest one if you want to play newer discs.
    What software will actually play bluerays? I won't be buying powerdvd again seeing as it has a limited lifespan.

I wouldn't bother playing BluRays on PC, its too much of a hassle.
    Guess I should just stick to the illegal copies at least I'll know they work.

That's the irony of DRM, its a pain in the ass for people who have actually bought the disc, but it doesnt affect pirates at all. If I could play Bluray hassle-free on my Linux HTPCs id probably have bought twice as many discs as I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Dredd uses the MPEG-4 MVC codec, this was relatively new when Dredd was released. You'll probably need a player thats capable of decoding MVC.

PowerDVD 13 Ultra supports MVC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Can we avoid the piracy discussions please..

Advertisement