Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Supplement?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 5:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28

I have had the worst couple years of my life to date. I rented out my home 2 years ago because I couldn't keep up with the mortgage repayments due to a decline in business. I did not know I was entitled to any social welfare because I was self employed. I paid the intrest part from rent and lived on the remainder . that was my only income for over a year.

to cut a long story short.

when I rented my house i lived from friend to family and even in my car (in the winter). things got so bad I went to the welfare office 6 mths ago and to my surprize , they agreed to pay me assistance from my fathers address (my father wants his own space). I stay there most times. my house is 150k plus in negative equity and arrears.

I need to move back into my own house. but no way can I afford the repayments at present. will the state help me pay the intrest only. while I try sort out my life. if I can bring stability to my life, im sure I can progress in relation to work.

but ill end up on the streets full time. if I don't sort something out soon.
    if I knew how the system worked. id never have rented out my house and not lived (on the streets basically). what I had done, because I was so proud.

I was geting 1000 rent . which I paid 550 intrest only to the bank and 250 towards the debts of the company I had. I lived on 200 euro a mth for over a year. but this made things worse , not better.

CAN I APPLY FOR THIS MORTGAGE INTREST SUPPLEMENT BEFORE I GIVE MY TENNANT NOTICE. THE LEASE IS UPAT PRESENT. BUT I DONT WANT TO LOSE TENNANT AND THEN BE LEFT WITH ANOTHER BILL I CANT AFFORD. BUT I NEED A PLACE TO LIVE.

I would appreciate any advice.

thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mortgage Interest Supplement is a supplementary welfare allowance.
    The rules to qualify for it include (this is not a definitive list):

- the supplementary welfare allowance means test is satisfied

- the applicant has at the time of application engaged with their mortgage lender in order to meet their mortgage repayment obligations, and has entered into and complied with an alternative repayment arrangement for a period of not less than 12 months

- the loan agreement was entered into at a time when, in the opinion of the Department’s representative, the person was in a position to meet the repayments

- the residence in respect of which the loan is payable, is not offered for sale

- only the portion of the loan that relates to the essential purchase, repair or maintenance of the property is taken into account

- the applicant is habitually resident in the State

- the amount of the mortgage interest payable by the claimant does not exceed such amount as the Department’s representative considers reasonable to meet his or her residential and other needs

- it is reasonable to award a supplement having regard to the amount of any arrears outstanding on the loan. In exceptional circumstances, the Department’s representative may award a supplement where the amount of mortgage interest payable by a person exceeds such amount as the Department’s representative considers reasonable to meet his or her residential and other needs. Such supplement is payable for a maximum of 12 months from the date of the claim.

- the applicant or their spouse/civil partner/cohabitant is not engaged in full time employment, defined as more than 29 hours a week (subject to exceptions)

- the applicant is not; involved in a trade dispute/engaged in full time education (subject to exceptions)/unlawfully in the State/admitted to an institution for a period of in excess of 13 weeks

- the applicant has not made; an application for asylum under the Refugee Act, 1996 and such application is awaiting final decision by the Minister for Justice and Equality or an application under the Aliens Act, 1935 to remain in the State and such application has not been determined

The guys over on our State Benefits Forum, may be the best people to ask for information from (linked) (of course- you need to liaise with Social Welfare, and I'd seriously suggest talking to your local Community Welfare Officer- as they have a hardship fund that I'd be most surprised if you didn't qualify for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 lighting

thanks very much. ill seek more advice in other forum. you have been great.

I meet all them requirements. what do I do now.

do I tell my tenant I need to move back in and give her notice and apply for the intrest assistance now. please advice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not currently your place of residence- so thats one condition that you don't meet. Please be careful- go through the conditions one by one (and there could easily be other ones- get official sources)- and also make sure you follow the rules for terminating your tenants residence in the property by the book- don't take any shortcuts- they will come back to bite you when you least need them too.

Best of good luck- hopefully you'll be able to post back here in a few months time and tell us that you're situation has improved- I really hope so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 lighting

conductor thanks for that info.

before I move back into my home do I apply apply for the assistance or do I wait. I will apply the legal notice to the tenant. I need it for my own use. but don't want to lose this tenant and be refused.

Advertisement