Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish online MOBA tourney. Dota 2 and/or LoL 5v5 League/Tournament It's about time!

Options
  • 28-07-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

Hiya fellas.

I've been waiting ages for this forum to come so I could post about this because I didn't want it going in a forum that some moba players may not see.

Anyway I've been playing LoL and Dota 2 a good while and really felt the lack of Irish competition and was thinking I'd love to get a league or tournament for Irish teams going if there're enough heads interested in either. Admittedly I've moved full time to Dota 2 so that would be my main focus to try and run competition in but I'm still very open to running one in LoL even though I don't play so much anymore.

Question is how many teams could we get together and would there be enough to make it worth running a full tournament for. I'm willing to take names of players and teams and draw it all up to see if it would work.

I was thinking it could be all done online grouping in lobbies etc. First couple of runs would be simply for the prestige but if it goes well and keeps going then we could start looking at prizes for winning teams if people are game.

I also wanted to broach on the possibility of Lan tournaments. This would obviously take a lot more effort to acquire at least 10 machines capable of running either game smoothly enough and to run a full tournament on it within a manageable time frame. Much more difficult considering each game can be an hour long so for now I'm more focused on an online kind of thing like we used to do back in the Counter Strike days circa 2000-2001.

Ok so what I would love to see people posting here are 1st: Which game be it Dota 2 or LoL and 2nd: The team name and the full roster of 5 players on that team with steam ids if it's dota2 to make things a bit smoother when adding. Hopefully there'll be a good amount of teams.

Doesn't matter what skill level you and your friends are or what level you think you are it will be great to just get a load of irish players and teams playing together so get your names up and hopefully we can make something out of it.

Ideas and feedback are welcome!

Ry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'd definitely be able to get a team together for Dota 2, sounds fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I started rolling a ball for a LoL and Dota 2 tourney since late May, plan on announcing something this time next month, with a finals LAN in November. I'll update as soon as I got more concrete info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd play, sounds good. We could go to a lan cafe in the future but for now just get people playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Yeh was hoping people might've posted a couple of rosters by now even but maybe people are still discussing it amongst their compadres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

There are plenty of tournaments organised for League on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

n1ck wrote: »
    There are plenty of tournaments organised for League on facebook.

The problem (that's shown by other posters not realising that here) is that facebook groups tend to cause a load of closed, non interacting systems that aren't easy to find.

There's already an argument among many competitive event organisers in the UK that we should all be moving away from them.

Organising here (or any other actual open forum) is a way better idea, will show up higher in google if people or looking and will not actively splice down the (assumedly small enough) Irish group into smaller groups still depending on who's friends with who.

Anecdotal evidence- If you'd asked me 6 months ago I would have told you you're not involved in competitive Streetfighter in Ireland if I don't know you. That's before I found a facebook group for people who've been playing in Galway for a few years. About 40 of them. Meet up every week. We actually have players in Galway and we didn't know they existed!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Some people don't use or like facebook (same goes for boardsie).
    There are some good initiatives on there, but i dont see why that should discourage others from organising their own things. (Also i disagree that there are "plenty". But thats subjective.)

I think it would be better to cross pollinate and throw up posts about tournies there here and vise versa to attract the maximum number of participants.

Sycopat wrote: »
    There are some good initiatives on there, but i dont see why that should discourage others from organising their own things. (Also i disagree that there are "plenty". But thats subjective.)

I think it would be better to cross pollinate and throw up posts about tournies there here and vise versa to attract the maximum number of participants.

Yes sorry, I meant they should be used together as opposed to one replacing the other. Every avenue to more people is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

the amount of moba players using facebook compared to the amount of moba players reading boards isn't even close.

You have to include facebook if you want anything to happen.

Dustaz wrote: »
    the amount of moba players using facebook compared to the amount of moba players reading boards isn't even close.

You have to include facebook if you want anything to happen.

No one is saying you should only use one. Everyone is saying only using one is a mistake.

• Advertisement

The reason most of the stuff is put up on facebook is because there is a far bigger amount of people in that community than here on boards. In the facebook group there are over 600 people and that is i'd say at least 25 times more than post here on boards about League.

There is regularly talk of not only irish tournaments, fun and serious, but also of the likes of the Mobafire tournament and then things like go4lol, which I see absolutely zero of here unless it came from myself or Doc(which was mostly Arcadecon).

The reason most of the stuff is put up on facebook is because there is a far bigger amount of people in that community than here on boards. In the facebook group there are over 600 people and that is i'd say at least 25 times more than post here on boards about League.

There is regularly talk of not only irish tournaments, fun and serious, but also of the likes of the Mobafire tournament and then things like go4lol, which I see absolutely zero of here unless it came from myself or Doc(which was mostly Arcadecon).

Of those 600 people less than 150 have signed up as 'active' players, and it's an even smaller fraction of those who actually post on facebook.

There's a 1v1 tournie I had managed to miss until yesterday. It has 16 sign ups across two brackets. 16 individuals. That's not a lot of summoners rift teams. Fair play to the organisers, but out of an audience of 680 at time of this posting(probably less when they were organising it), that's got to be an indication that something isn't working. And that something is (imo) that people who don't check facebook multiple times per day, every day, are missing lots of the good stuff that goes up there.

Of those 600 people less than 150 have signed up as 'active' players, and it's an even smaller fraction of those who actually post on facebook.

There's a 1v1 tournie I had managed to miss until yesterday. It has 16 sign ups across two brackets. 16 individuals. That's not a lot of summoners rift teams. Fair play to the organisers, but out of an audience of 680 at time of this posting(probably less when they were organising it), that's got to be an indication that something isn't working. And that something is (imo) that people who don't check facebook multiple times per day, every day, are missing lots of the good stuff that goes up there.

Once again- the point is not that facebook groups aren't useful- they are- but they have a huge drawback in that they are closed groups. If you're not a member of that closed group you don't see in.

Even if the group is trying to be as open as possible, advertisement is the currency of FB. If you want a decent amount of people to see, you have to pay for it, or find a way for it to go viral (not going to happen without a funny ad or something).

Whereas a forum of any description WANTS you to read it. The ad is not the post itself but the page it resides on. Forums want to pop up on Google.

So, once again, a mix of both is better.

TBH if someone like Ry wants to organise a tournament (who I know for a fact has experience of competitive tournaments) you should be supporting him, not stand in his way. :)

August is not going to be a good month for my gaming because I'll be spending most of it in Bali ;)

Anything after that I'd be happy to help out with/take part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'd love to enter a LOL irish tourney with some team mates of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah would be interested in hearing the details one this one, I'm sure our team would be interested as well

That facebook document isn't accurate at all. There is a new website going up in the future for the facebook page with a forum and i'd say the majority of tournaments will be organised there.

I'll feed in DOTA with others if required. I've fed in over 2k games and I am better at it then Paul :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think you'll find it's the quality of the feed

This is interesting. I didn't know of any Irish groups on facebook at all related to Dota or LoL? Some info on those would be great. Are they Irish only? How many people in them? Are they game specific groups or general MOBA groups?

I'm just hoping to get posts from people with team name, team game(s) and rosters here so I can start working out how many teams I'd have and what kind of league or tourney could be made out of them.

For example I'd post

Team: Boyzhaus
    Game: Dota 2
    Players:
    1. Me (SteamID: Blah)
    2. John121425 (SteamID: John Finefettle)
    3. Dipped (SteamID: DippedInMilk)
    4. PB (SteamID: Paulie Pissbottle)
    5. Clamper (SteamID:Afart)

Simple as that. Then hopefully when a bunch of teams are up (it'd be nice to have 8 or more) I could start working on brackets or tables or both and a rules system be it best of 1 game or best of 3 (more likely) etc.

Anyone interested in taking part has 1 task. Organise 5 of you as a team and tell me who you are so I can get numbers. Please don't list any names on your team that aren't 100% down to play in this. Last thing we need are forfeits because of "Jamie doesn't want to play and you never asked him anyway Daniel!" etc.

• Advertisement

The facebook group for League is called "This is Irish League of Legends".

The facebook group for League is called "This is Irish League of Legends".

Thank man. So are there already Irish tourneys being done by and in that group? Also does anyone know if there's an equivalent Dota 2 group on Facebook for Irish players?

Does everyone on the team have to be Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I'd feed

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I'd feed

Lets make a team Donal, get 3 more Paddies please. Tar are you available?

Heya lets make a thread for the making of teams, and leave this for the finished teams.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85769787#post85769787

I doubt they ahve to be Irish, especially for the first one, but eventually it would be cool if we all met up in some cafe in dublin etc.

Lets make a team Donal, get 3 more Paddies please. Tar are you available?

Yup, please apply for team feed with donal on the new thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ghaspd

I would be able to muster a team together most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Hows things lads, I know this is boards and all, but reading over the thread, one post hit the nail on the head.

Even though people from all corners of the net have been crying out for these forums to be made, and finally they have, they still stick to facebook, therefore, will never visit here. So this post should have been pointless due to those people, yet here I am with an idea that never should have had to be posted.

Please come join us on facebook at "Gaelic Gaming". We're looking to start things for all things E-Sports in Ireland, and we want ALL people who play E-Sports to come in as one community, not just say, One piece of the MOBA scene on TIILoL, one piece in GG, and another right here on boards. We need to spread awareness to all parts.

We lads over at GG have a weekly scrimm for LoL planned to start this sunday, hopefully to see some new teams come out, and allows the somewhat new tournament scene for MOBA in Ireland to play each other outside of a tournament environment, and provide entertainment for all.

Of course we have plans to spread to SC2, DOTA2, and MAYBE Smite or some other games, but that's a project a while off...

Sorry for the read guys, glad this forum was made :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Tar, Arse in gear and post are roster in the other thread.

Advertisement