Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please - Bought a caravan which was 4 years older than advertised.

Options
  • 28-07-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi All
    Looking for a bit if advice here. I purchased a caravan on Friday last and it was advertised as an 06. Paid over 5K for it and to be hones it is immaculate and everything works as it should. On Saturday I was checking it out in prep for a family holiday this week only to discover it is an 02 caravan. I rang the original supplier to confirm this. I spoke with the guy who sold it to me and he is adamant that he thought it was 06. I am wondering what you guys think I should do about this. I like the caravan but I feel I have over paid for it and feel he should not get away with this. He has stopped answering my calls today. Advice please. I have a receipt with the serial number and saved the ads prior to him removing them.
    Cheers , Rocksimmo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

rocksimmo wrote: »
    Hi All
    Looking for a bit if advice here. I purchased a caravan on Friday last and it was advertised as an 06. Paid over 5K for it and to be hones it is immaculate and everything works as it should. On Saturday I was checking it out in prep for a family holiday this week only to discover it is an 02 caravan. I rang the original supplier to confirm this. I spoke with the guy who sold it to me and he is adamant that he thought it was 06. I am wondering what you guys think I should do about this. I like the caravan but I feel I have over paid for it and feel he should not get away with this. He has stopped answering my calls today. Advice please. I have a receipt with the serial number and saved the ads prior to him removing them.
    Cheers , Rocksimmo

That's awful but I'd say that as it was a private sale, there's not a lot you can do and that its a case of caveat emptor unfortunately.

I appreciate how anniyed you must be. Try to enjoy and make the most of your caravan and the fact that you were happy to pay what you did given its condition etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭nitna bitna

if its not as advertised youre entitled to your money back, or a percentage back to make up for the true value of it should u decide u wanna keep it,

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rocksimmo

Thanks for comments. Have asked for a refund or around 1K to compensate for the year. It is very clean but annoying that people do this and get away with it. Will hound him for a week and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If you bought froma private individual tehn its different

http://blog.donedeal.ie/your-rights-as-a-buyer/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

if its not as advertised youre entitled to your money back, or a percentage back to make up for the true value of it should u decide u wanna keep it,

What your entitled too and what you can actually get from a private seller are two totally different things. Once the seller insists they though it was a 06 I can't see much happening unless you go legal and that could be a lot of hassle, and possibly money.

• Advertisement

Update today. He is now saying he is out of the country and will come to an agreement on Wednesday. Will give him the benefit of doubt. Will update when I speak with him on Wednesday. Cheers for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

rocksimmo wrote: »
    Update today. He is now saying he is out of the country and will come to an agreement on Wednesday. Will give him the benefit of doubt. Will update when I speak with him on Wednesday. Cheers for the advice.

Would be great if you got a few quid back. Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

that's simply not the case, especially with a private sale. If the guy sold it in good faith believing it to be an 06 then the only hope is an ex-gratia payout, which seems likely in this case.

Am hoping we can reach an agreement of sort tomorrow. The seller is saying he has a neighbor interested in the caravan too so is will to refund my money or come to an agreement on a partial refund. The caravan itself is very clean and everything works as it should. Hopefully will get something sorted tomorrow.

Hi All. Finally got this sorted today. The seller agreed to a refund of 500 euro which I accepted. I did speak to Citizens information and they advised that I was entitled to go down the court route but explained that it could be costly. Thanks everyone for the advice. Have returned from a weekend in Strandhill with the family and we had a brilliant time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement