Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Eircom f1000 router as a bridge

• 28-07-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi ,
    My neighbour and I have agreed to share efibers 50mg broadband between our 2 houses . It is his connection so the router is in his house but the problem is he has it in the playroom which is the furthest room from my house . A cock up on eircoms behalf meant he was posted out a router and then when they came to do the install the brought another one so we have a spare router . He has a phone socket in his sitting room which borders mine . Some one told me I could run a phone wire from his socket to my house and up the second router in my house but I have set the router up as a "Bridge "
    Does anyone here know how I do this and if you do Could you please explain it in a step by step simpletons guide please .
    Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

You can't run more than one modem/router off a phone line. So forget that idea. In order to bridge the two routers, creating a second access point, you would need to connect them using cat 5 ethernet cable.

An example setup would involve connecting one end of an ethernet cable to port 1 on the first router in his playroom. Then run the cable to the second router, either in your house or somewhere in his house that will cover your house, and connect the other end to port 1 on the second router. Then set the second router to access point mode and with any luck it will just work. If not there are plenty of step by step guides to aid you in your setup.

If running a cable doesn't suit, then consider using a pair of homeplug adapters to bridge the gap. They might limit the speed/quality of the connection from router 2 however and you won't be able to position the second router in your house in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

'sharing' broadband is against the TOS of the ISP and should be discouraged. My advise is to get your own bb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dunc32

Simi wrote: »
    You can't run more than one modem/router off a phone line. So forget that idea. In order to bridge the two routers, creating a second access point, you would need to connect them using cat 5 ethernet cable.

An example setup would involve connecting one end of an ethernet cable to port 1 on the first router in his playroom. Then run the cable to the second router, either in your house or somewhere in his house that will cover your house, and connect the other end to port 1 on the second router. Then set the second router to access point mode and with any luck it will just work. If not there are plenty of step by step guides to aid you in your setup.

If running a cable doesn't suit, then consider using a pair of homeplug adapters to bridge the gap. They might limit the speed/quality of the connection from router 2 however and you won't be able to position the second router in your house in that case.
    Hi Simi,
    Thanks for your help . I ran a cable from the lan on his modem to the lan on my router and set the router as an access point . It worked well in my house and the wifi was fine in his house but his main computer internet speed which is connected by lan completely slowed down even when nothing else was coneected to my modem. Any idea why this is ? Should I try a crossover lan cable?
    I was going to use home plug adapters but they need to be on the same electrical circuit.

Dunc32 wrote: »
    Hi Simi,
    Thanks for your help . I ran a cable from the lan on his modem to the lan on my router and set the router as an access point . It worked well in my house and the wifi was fine in his house but his main computer internet speed which is connected by lan completely slowed down even when nothing else was coneected to my modem. Any idea why this is ? Should I try a crossover lan cable?
    I was going to use home plug adapters but they need to be on the same electrical circuit.

Again, you'r stealing... Lets call it Karma :rolleyes:

Surprised the mods aren't all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dunc32

degsie wrote: »
    Again, you'r stealing... Lets call it Karma :rolleyes:

Surprised the mods aren't all over this.
    Im paying half the bill so Im not stealing anything.

• Advertisement

Dunc32 wrote: »
    Im paying half the bill so Im not stealing anything.

As long as your neighbour has ok'd it with Eircom (or whoever) then it's cool.

Apart from that I hope you REALLY trust your neighbour as you will be opening ALL of your internet traffic to them and vice versa.

Advertisement