Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start leaving cert business now?

• 28-07-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm going into 6th year and am thinking about taking up business now cos ya'know I want to be even more anti-social then I already will be :cool: Anyway, is it too late to start a new subject? Is it massivly different from the Junior Cert? I got a higher B in it so would it be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

LC business is quite a long course, so I wouldn't recommend taking it up at this stage unless you are willing to put a lot of effort into it.

It's different from JC business, it doesn't involve nearly as much accounting and the theory is in greater detail. Some of the JC course is in the LC course, but in much more depth, such as the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act etc. Your answers tend to require more detail than in JC, and the best method of answering is to state, explain and give an example. You also need to learn more real life business scenarios and how different companies develop products or use the marketing mix to create a successful product etc.

Overall, it is a long course. Many schools only finish the course about 1 or 2 months before the end of 6th year, so think carefully about the extra pressure it would put on you. The content isn't that difficult, there is just a lot of it. If you're good at memorising a large amount of information (definitions, examples etc), then it might work out well for you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    I'm going into 6th year and am thinking about taking up business now cos ya'know I want to be even more anti-social then I already will be :cool: Anyway, is it too late to start a new subject? Is it massivly different from the Junior Cert? I got a higher B in it so would it be possible?

It has nothing really in common with junior cert business! I wouldn't suggest taking it up now , its so much theory which requires hours of study.My friend repeating the leaving this year took up business and liked it but struggled a bit with so little time! Also it can be difficult to do well in , i've seen many people who were surprised with their mock results and realized how specific it is. I'd take up economics quicker..its alot shorter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I would could consider business quite a manageable course. If you learn the correct content, you could achieve a good grade. However, as far as I can remember there aren't that many A's in business. Accountancy is a good subject for A grades, not for the faint hearted though!

Advertisement