Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Msc in Geocomputation

• 28-07-2013 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there anyone else doing the Msc in Geocomputation this year or have any info about the course??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Hi there anyone else doing the Msc in Geocomputation this year or have any info about the course??

Cheers

I considered doing that course but decided it against it in favour of the Msc in comp science. I did the core spatial databases module though in final year so I can answer some questions on that if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ReecesPieces

Hi CSSE09, thanks for the reply,

I know the first module is on structured programming have you any idea what that like?, I've never done programming before so im a bit worried about it!

What's the spatial databases module like? I done a module in GIS in my third year of my undergrad so I'm hoping that will be useful to me for it!

Regards,

Reece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Hi CSSE09, thanks for the reply,

I know the first module is on structured programming have you any idea what that like?, I've never done programming before so im a bit worried about it!

What's the spatial databases module like? I done a module in GIS in my third year of my undergrad so I'm hoping that will be useful to me for it!

Regards,

Reece

I have no idea what they do for the structured programming, I wouldn't worry to much about it though, no doubt it'll be hard if you've never coded before but go to the lectures and labs and you'll do fine.

The spatial databases module is very good, a lot of useful theory and you get to use ArcGIS to put it in to practice. Again if you haven't written any SQL you might find it tricky but it's a fairly easy module. NCG's facilities are very good.

I was hoping you were going to say that, really enjoyed using ArcGIS this year, thats module sounds like its going to be good!... hopefully il be ok with the coding and all, sure i guess il find out in 5 weeks time :) haha.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 middle_earth

Hi ReecesPieces,

I also have Structured Programming in the beginning of this September. But after I asked about this module, the administration office said that this module is optional for my program and "targets those who do not have any Java Programming experience", so I won't take it. After I read the module description, it offers topics from programming fundamentals, simple I/O, algorithms and data structures and object-oriented programming paradigm. I think (in brief) it spans from fundamental to medium level.

I hope you enjoy coding after taking this module. :)

regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just seeing this thread now.

Yeah, I'm starting this Masters this year too, and yeah, I'll have to go do the Structured Programming Module at the start of September. I've no experience whatsoever with Computer Science or Programming so it should be an interesting challenge. Can't wait to get started now tho!

Hi antomorro-sei,

Looks like we are in the same boat, its meant to be a fairly intense first 3 weeks but it should be very interesting cant wait to get started anyway!!! are you coming straight from your undergrad into the masters??

Hi antomorro-sei,

Looks like we are in the same boat, its meant to be a fairly intense first 3 weeks but it should be very interesting cant wait to get started anyway!!! are you coming straight from your undergrad into the masters??

Yeah likewise! Should be an interesting challenge!

Aye, I just finished up my degree there in May, so straight into the Masters. And you?

May be an odd question, but are we required to have a laptop? I'll have to go buy a new one if so!

I just finished my undergrad there in May as well, I done it in Maynooth as well so at least I'l know my way around anyway!

Eh I'm not too sure to be honest, Id say the majority of work we will be doing will be in the computer labs etc, there are a good few computer rooms around campus and then the library stays open fairly late as well so you might get away with it to be honest!

Have you found accommodation yet or are you commuting?

I just finished my undergrad there in May as well, I done it in Maynooth as well so at least I'l know my way around anyway!

Eh I'm not too sure to be honest, Id say the majority of work we will be doing will be in the computer labs etc, there are a good few computer rooms around campus and then the library stays open fairly late as well so you might get away with it to be honest!

Have you found accommodation yet or are you commuting?

Nice one. Geog degree? I just did Geog and Politics in UCD so all this Programming is gonna be, eh, fun... lol

Have you any experience in the Computer Science or Programming part?

I live in Dublin and my brother studies in Maynooth too, so we can drive out which isn't a problem thankfully!

• Advertisement

maths and geog, so I've never done any programming, there was a module on maths course that involved programming, writing code to solve various maths problems but I wasn't very good at it but sure I'm sure we will get through it!!

ah good stuff that's grnd so... il be going house hunting next week anyway hopefully il be able to find somewhere decent enough anyway

Just on this - I randomly got offered a last minute place on the MSc for GIS & Remote Sensing, so I'm gonna be doing that now instead of this Geocomputation one!

Happy Days, I had applied for that aswell but didnt get offered it.. looks like a very good course and Ronan Foley is an excellent lecturer as well!

Good Luck with it :)

Advertisement