Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 28-07-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I'm a single mother with a 7 month old baby. I work 20 hours per week my wages are 200 a week I also get 140 social welfare payment and 50 from fis and 70 maintenance.
    I am waiting on my interview with the council to be put on housing list and then I am going to apply for rent allowance. I am currently living at home with my parents.
    I am not really sure how this works and just wondering would anybody have any idea on weather I would be accepted on to the housing list?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sammcc90 wrote: »
    I am waiting on my interview with the council to be put on housing list and then I am going to apply for rent allowance. I am currently living at home with my parents.
    IIRC, you have to be renting in a house for 6 months before you can claim rent allowance. I doubt you living at home counts as renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Most Welfare Officers will require that you have been renting in private accomodation for at least 6 months before you are entitled to apply for rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

To add to the above - it's generally not enough to save up enough to rent for six months and then claim rent allowance. You have to prove that your circumstances have changed to such a degree that you are no longer able to afford your rent, like losing a job, getting your social welfare cut, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joliciuke

I am waiting for rent allowance for 4 month and no answer , ,phone they not answering, typed email no answer, do what you want threy dont care and I am single mum with 11months son thanks God I was made Redundant so have money to pay , how can be so difficult. ..

I am waiting for rent allowance for 4 month and no answer , ,phone they not answering, typed email no answer, do what you want threy dont care and I am single mum with 11months son thanks God I was made Redundant so have money to pay , how can be so difficult. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

joliciuke wrote: »

If they're not answering their phone or email, go into them in person? Usually the fastest way to get stuff sorted with the social welfare, from what I've found in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

does that all mean you are getting 460 euro per week or am i reading it wrong. are you taxed on any of that income?

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    If they're not answering their phone or email, go into them in person? Usually the fastest way to get stuff sorted with the social welfare, from what I've found in the past.

They only accept forms sent by post and there is no chance to talk to them anymore thats new now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

The council should put you on the list no problem. You dont need to be renting for six months if you are going to be homeless, as in your family would have to write a letter for the council and rent allowance to say they will no longer allow you to live there.

If you are calling the rent allowance people you could be on hold for hours but you could always call citizens information to find out about the income limits as you have 460 a week and that might be too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

If you are earning 460e per week would you not consider renting somewhere privately OP? Unless i'm missing something here you should be able to afford it, even with Dublin rents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

€460 p/w ... that is about €24,000 nett per annum ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

whippet wrote: »

Was just thinking, my partner just got a job full-time and is on a tenner more per week - that's insane!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

whippet wrote: »

About EUR29k gross- plus there are other benefits (such as a medical card etc) that would need to be added to your calculation too).

OP- you'd be better off taking this to the State Benefits forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

thats why this country is the way it is. a lot of the time it pays you to stay on benefits and not take up a job . no wonder we are fukced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Was just thinking, my partner just got a job full-time and is on a tenner more per week - that's insane!
    I know people in full time work who get less than that per week. Then they pay tax.

Advertisement