Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel 4x4 Recommendations

• 28-07-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using a '97-'01 model 2.0L Petrol Honda CR-V to tow a single 16.3hh horse in a range of Ifor Williams Double Trailers.

It's not going to last forever and is costing me serious fortune in petrol when towing (averaging 15mpg).

I'm looking to change.

I can sell my everyday car and replace it with a private 4x4 that has to be under 2,000cc (i.e. 1999 cc) and ideally diesel (as I do a lot of mileage outside of towing so would like it as economical as possible). I would need this to come in under about 8k aswell as budget is a big factor.

A lot of manufacturers don't seem to do anything decent under 2.2l Diesel unfortunately.

I'm already aware that I will be light on power and that the towing will be tough on whatever I buy but these are my restrictions.

I'd appreciate any useful recommendations. Reliability is also important (no old Land Rovers etc please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Hi,

While a good 2L diesel will do the job for you, you may find it struggling on steep hills. Until recently I was using a 2002 Land Rover Freelander TD4, while it managed the job (mostly pulling a Ifor Williams 505 with one 14.3 pony) it did at times find hills to be a challenge. That said the Freelander I bought turned out to be a poor example of the species and I got rid of it.

I know you've said you want a 2L 4x4 and I'm guessing it's because of the tax, moving to a 2.5L will bring annual tax to €1080. However, I would recommened you do consider if you could go for a 2.2 or 2.5, there are most definitely a better beast for the job. When I changed, I got a very nice Nissan Pathfinder for €8000, it's a 2.5L and I'm finding that the extra .5L is making a huge difference. As for fuel consumption, I find that the Pathfinder gives better mileage than the Freelander did when towing and I feel it's better even when not towing.

Before buying, I would urge you to check the towing capacity, just because something is a 4x4 doesn't mean it's up to towing. I've heard good thing about Nissan X-Trails as 4x4 for domestic use, not sure what they're like for towing. The diesel version of your Honda has had good reviews but again, not sure about how they perform for towing.

One thing to consider is to look for 4x4's that don't have a tow hitch already fitted, you'll have to add on, however if there's no tow hitch, it should mean that the vehicle never did any heavy work before you got it. Of course, if you are lucky enough to find a post 2008 4x4 it should be in the lower road tax bands.

One other suggestion, when you find a car you are interested in, get it checked by a mechanic, the AA charge a lot for the service but if you know a mechanic they might do it at a reasonable price, I got mine checked for just €30 and the car came as NCT guaranteed, so if it fails the NCT next week the garage will pay to fix what needs to be done and pay the retest fee.

Happy car hunting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i use a nissan xtrail for towing our box. 99% of the time there is only one or two ponies in it but have towed a pair of 16'2s a few times no problem. Its not too hard on diesel with the ponies and i get an average of 37mpg commuting to work in it other times. They can be a troublesome beast if you are unlucky though.

Advertisement