Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will races affect traffic?

Options
  • 28-07-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be driving from N59 (Clifden, Maam Cross, Oughterard, Maigh Cullain) through Galway to get into M6 motorway on Tuesday 30th July around 10am.

Usually getting through Galway using the outer ring takes me up to 15 minuts, sometimes less.

Should I allow some extra time because of the races? If yes - how much?

I'm going to Dublin airport so I can't really be late, and I don't want to leave early if there is no need.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It is an evening meeting so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

As far as i know the races dont start till the evening time on Tuesday so at 10am the traffic should be no worse than any other week so you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's actually a lot lighter in my experience. Lots of people on holidays, factories closed, etc. Even at peak times the guards keep it flowing fairly smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks for that.
    I'll take usually timing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The only day that might affect you on that route at that time is Thursday as it's the only "early" start (even then traffic shouldn't start building until 12).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway has an outer ring :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

snubbleste wrote: »
    Galway has an outer ring :confused:

What I meant was road through all roundabouts, out of which many have been changed into traffic lights junctions in recent times.

I've seen signs for inner city ring in the centre, so I thought this was outer city ring.

CiniO wrote: »
    What I meant was road through all roundabouts, out of which many have been changed into traffic lights junctions in recent times.

I've seen signs for inner city ring in the centre, so I thought this was outer city ring.

Oh it is officially called the "outer ring" despite the fact that it dumps you in the narrowest part of town (Woodquay) and the inner ring does actually not ring anything but bring you straight through the center of town.

It's part of a delusion of granduer that the city council got in the late 90s when they decided to revamp Eyre Sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Oh it is officially called the "outer ring" despite the fact that it dumps you in the narrowest part of town (Woodquay)

In fairness, it actually "dumps" you to the Headford Rd, far closer to Terryland than Woodquay, and then you have to go down one RAB (on a dual-lane, separated carriageways road) to get onto the (inadequate, I agree) Quin... bridge.

It's a long way from the narrowest part of town.

In fairness, it actually "dumps" you to the Headford Rd, far closer to Terryland than Woodquay, and then you have to go down one RAB (on a dual-lane, separated carriageways road) to get onto the (inadequate, I agree) Quin... bridge.

It's a long way from the narrowest part of town.

And how does one get to Woodquay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The OP doesn't want to get to Woodquay. He/She wants to get to Dublin Airport.

Advertisement