Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCG in Galway

Options
  • 28-07-2013 10:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the current stance on the BCG is by the HSE in Galway? When my son was born in 2010 it wasn't given, we were told he'd be given it in 5th or 6th class.

Has this changed or is it still the case?

As far as I can see it's HSE policy to give it "at birth"... but not in Galway?

(PS can we not make this into a pro/anti vaccine debate? I'm just interested in why the difference between the counties.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

My son got it this year & he was in 5th Class , he was born in 2002 ( Where in Galway )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My baby got his bcg last Monday at 5 weeks old. They do do it in the hospital but only certain days of the week so if you miss it you have to go to the health centre yourself. The phn gave me the number to call to book him in. This was in Dublin but not sure why it would be different in Galway? Maybe contact your phn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

from memory you can request it specifically and get it as an outpatient from the medical centre at the far side of the hospital. Sorry I can't really remember more, but I can ask the other half if you like

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We're in the city.

I'm due my second in October. I might ring the PHNs and request that the 3 year old be added to the list and get the new fella added when he's born.

It just seems weird that Galway is out of step with the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Had my baby aug 2012 in mayo general hospital and he received it the day he was born, policy at MGH apparantely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I actually emailed the HSE about this one, and the lady said that some expert group is reviewing the policy for the entire country at the moment (well, that's what she said...) as it's not policy in other countries either.

Only if you're in a 'high risk group' can you get the vaccine for your baby apparently (for example, when you need to travel to Eastern European countries), otherwise you'll have to wait until they're in school (11 or 12 years of age).

Her argument was that Galway has a very low rate of TB - although the recent outbreak on Aran makes me wonder...

I still think it's ridiculous - either give it to everyone or noone, but don't exclude a single county...

You can always email them at 'immunisation.ie' - they were very quick with a reply, in fairness.

galah wrote: »
    I actually emailed the HSE about this one, and the lady said that some expert group is reviewing the policy for the entire country at the moment (well, that's what she said...) as it's not policy in other countries either.

Only if you're in a 'high risk group' can you get the vaccine for your baby apparently (for example, when you need to travel to Eastern European countries), otherwise you'll have to wait until they're in school (11 or 12 years of age).

Her argument was that Galway has a very low rate of TB - although the recent outbreak on Aran makes me wonder...

I still think it's ridiculous - either give it to everyone or noone, but don't exclude a single county...

You can always email them at 'immunisation.ie' - they were very quick with a reply, in fairness.

Cool, thanks. I tried to navigate the HSE site this morning with limited luck, so will email them and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

From personal experience myself, we applied for it on the basis that we were travelling to a country with a higher risk of TB (Eastern Europe in our case) and explained this to them. We were seen within 6 weeks of the birth of our son. If you have no luck with the HSE, try one of the local Public Health Nurses and ask if its possible to get you bumped up on this basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

It's given at birth in Wicklow.
    From a colleagues experience, in Cork, it's not given at birth either, and a worker in his little girls creche had TB, and they had 18 months of nerve wracking chest x-rays on their daughter until she got the all-clear.
    Not sure why it's birth in some counties, and older in others :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

backspacer wrote: »
    From personal experience myself, we applied for it on the basis that we were travelling to a country with a higher risk of TB (Eastern Europe in our case) and explained this to them. We were seen within 6 weeks of the birth of our son. If you have no luck with the HSE, try one of the local Public Health Nurses and ask if its possible to get you bumped up on this basis.

Same for us, all our kids had it before their first birthday. For the most recent one, we rang the PHN, told her we were off to Asia, and she had us organised in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

It's so bizarre it's done differently based on your location. I was worried my LO wasn't getting it until 5 weeks instead of birth. I discussed with the phn and she said there was nothing to worry about but he had to have it before he was 3 months, and they checked with me to see I'd booked an appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Im in westmeath and was told when having my daughter that there was a waiting list so it would take a few weeks. I didnt have to do anything . Got an appointment out for when she was 4 weeks old.
    I think its very odd not gettingbin until 11 or 12. I got a few vaccine timetable things and it shows at what age they get what vaccine and it says at birth bcg.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mine didnt get it at birth Das Kitty, though it does have it written on the fridge magnet thingy they give you.

I will be bringing him in for his (overdue) 12 month round of vaccines this week to the GP and can see what their policy is. Its a practice that has a Polish doctor so has lots of Polish patients so it might be common enough to get done if requested.

I actually spoke to my PHN today about it.

Policy in Galway, Roscommon and Cork (at least) is not to give it until they're 12 or 13, unless they have family from a TB zone or might be travelling to one, or have been in contact with someone with it.

She also told me that the life-span of the vaccine is 20 years, so if you get it at birth, you're immune until you're twenty, but if you have it at 13, it should cover the sort of travel you'd do after university.

I would say that with increased immigration from active TB zones might have been the trigger for the HSE to change from what we got (12-13) down to birth, but it's hard to know at the moment if the actual risk merited the change.

I think I'll wait to see what the immunisation.ie review comes up with before deciding for my two.

Advertisement