Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genealogical Office at the NLI

• 28-07-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I've been re-reading Grenham's TYIA and the Genealogical Office always struck me as a rather curious place (he has a chapter on it).

Just wanted so see if anyone has every conducted reseaching in their holdings?

All sorts of Mss in there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've looked at some original coats of arms and a bit of research when I was in UCD.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes, years ago. Beautiful place to visit just to see the displays. Not sure if it remains the case, but I needed a separate reader’s ticket to gain access to data, not as readily available as the one for the NLI. I got the impression that you need to know your stuff to get one and you are very much on your own.
    I went there to check a folder in the Loose Pedigree Mss- it contained useful notes and documentation (correspondence) from the mid 1800’s, mainly with Betham on family wills and marriages. Unfortunately it did not get me over my particular hurdle but gave me some interesting pointers, one of which was very good, so it was well worth the visit. However, the pointers raised even more questions and very few answers are yet in sight, although I have much more to explore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I believe they've done away with the separate reader's ticket now but I know from working in the genealogy advisory service that they don't like to send anyone over to the manuscript reading room, unless they are serious and seasoned researchers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

A lot of the GO manuscripts, which are held in the Manuscripts reading room, are on microfilm, so where there is a surrogate copy the original GO manuscript won't be issued, seasoned researcher or not. I've been down in the manuscripts reading room a lot over the last number of months and I can definitely say that there are a lot of 'unseasoned' researchers down there researching family history/history of their houses/locality, etc. It can be quite frustrating for all concerned.

There's a lot of helpful info available on the NLI website which may be of use, especially if it's the first time visiting the NLI:
    http://www.nli.ie/en/family-history-introduction.aspx
    http://www.nli.ie/en/heraldry-collections.aspx

Also, as pointed out above, readers can use the same ticket to access the main reading room, manuscripts reading room and Prints&Drawings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I got used to it but found it a very intimidating place at first because I kept getting 'looks' from 'seasoned' researchers. There are treasures to be found. 'Unseasoned' researchers can be there for various reasons, and perhaps some don't have a clue. Maybe they need a little more assistance. But then, we were all 'unseasoned' at one stage, weren't we?? A bit like learner drivers. Thankfully I don't need to go there very often.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Maybe they need a little more assistance. But then, we were all 'unseasoned' at one stage, weren't we??.

I've no real problems with 'unseasoned' researchers, most of whom are fine; it's the ones who spend ages tutting and sighing, and then loudly calling the staff over to the reader's desk, so they can complain about the fact that the 'manuscripts' are just that, handwritten and old and therefore 'illegible' documents, rather than printed/typed sources which they were expecting. And then they get even more annoyed when their request that the staff transcribe the text for them is refused. And of course this will only ever happen when the reading room is busy! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm sure the staff can get frustrated at times. I was in the Nat. Archives recently and a man (unseasoned) and looking in a bit of a panic, whispered to me that he had broken his pencil and asked where he could buy another, and apologetically said he should have brought several with him . He was delighted when I told him the staff had laid on a supply of pencils for our use. Poor man, he was feeling intimidated too on his first visit.

Most are lovely, it only takes a few.... (same for 'seasoned' readers...). I actually much prefer the Manuscripts Reading Room to the Main Reading Room or the National Archives - much more laid back... Or maybe I just love being surrounded by the amazing collections they have there! :)

Advertisement