Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scab like irritation on cat's skin

• 28-07-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

While rubbing my cat I noticed she had little bumps on her skin. At first I thought maybe a tic but on checking it was more scab like. It does not seem to be causing her irritation. She does not have fleas. The only I can think of is that I gave her Frontline Combo spot-on and two days later gave her Profender Spot-On as a dewormer. Could this be a cause of her skin reaction? It is only around her upper body, side of the neck, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I go through the same thing with my cats and although fhey don't have fleas the vet says it's flea allergy dermatitis, so flea may have jumped aboard, bitten them and left them again. My 2 adult cats have to go on steroids every summer due to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Thanks. That might be it. Bringing her to the vet in an hour anyway to find out for sure. Will let you know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds like that yes, I have to give one of my cats those tablets. Usually once every 2 days for a few iterations and she is fine.

Well, just back from the vet. She said there is a flea infestation at the moment. That a flea probably bit her, died as she is treated with Frontline Combo, but caused a slight irritation. However, she didn't feel the reaction was bad enough to warrant the side effects of a steroid injection at the moment. Poor kitty traumatised after visit to the vet. But better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dont need the injection unless it is more serious, that is why the tablets are used. If your cat continues with the scabs I'd go and get the tablets.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Please give it some thought before agreeing to put your cat on prednisolone. This drug is not without its side-effects and work by suppressing the immune system - not good in the long term. It should really be used very judiciously and some vets prescribe it all too quickly.

Well, if it works by suppressing the immune system, it wouldn't be suitable for my cat as she has FIV so doing everything to maintain her immune system.

Advertisement