Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru / Bolivia trip - preparations??

• 28-07-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭

so i am heading to peru and bolivia for a month in september..

not sure what i need to do in terms of shopping..

like what clothes to take.

I am getting my shots done..

So what do i need to take with me? anyone done a similar trip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Hi

I think irish need a separate visa for boliva, plenty of thermals good walkin shoes.inlay for a sleeping bag

Altitude can be an issue, chew the coco leaves helps but can be an issue at customs.. U can buy proper peru woolen hats and ponchos.

Get one of those discreet waist wallets/bum bags.

Photocopy all travel docs and leave home, and bring including tickets.

More will come back to me
    Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Hi

I think irish need a separate visa for boliva, plenty of thermals good walkin shoes.inlay for a sleeping bag

Altitude can be an issue, chew the coco leaves helps but can be an issue at customs.. U can buy proper peru woolen hats and ponchos.

Get one of those discreet waist wallets/bum bags.

Photocopy all travel docs and leave home, and bring including tickets.

More will come back to me
    Enjoy

thanks for the reply..

no i don't need a visa for either country.. will double check though..

i have walking boots but i am wondering if they are too heavy for macchu picchu..

would appreciate any info..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

if your walking boots are fine for walking Wicklow then they will be fine for peru.

the thing is that you will have limited backpack space if you are travelling on your own. as such, a lighter pair of boots are handy if you want to wear them from your hotel to the bus station, rather than putting them in the back pack for example.

make sure you have a good waterproof rain jacket, also a decent sun hat is worthwhile.

you don't want to bring too much....especially if you are carrying your own luggage everywhere. that means the clothes you bring need to be mostly functional.

thanks for the reply..

i am going with Intrepid = homeland of the inca's trip..

i have never walked in wicklow..

i am just wondering if the boots i have will be too heavy/bulky for the hike..

and i guess i should have hiking sandals for general walking around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

A beautiful part of the world. I'm envious as I'd very much like to visit Bolívia again.

The first thing is to read about what the weather will be like at that time of year and in the places along your itinerary.

I was there in autumn (April), so the weather was very varied. High on the Bolívian 'altiplano' gets very cold at night all-year-round. So contact your tour company for advice on: warm clothes/thermals and sleeping bags, insulated ground mats, etc. Alternatively, you could visit The Great Outdoors and they would be able to advise you. At that time of year (we weren't hiking), a good pair of light Salomons were perfect, but if cold, you might need good, sturdy, insulated and waterproof hiking boots. Again, consider the weather. Personally, I'd always put light, ventilated walking shoes over sandels, but each to their own. Just consider the weather.

From a security perspective, I would strongly advise investing in a 'Pac Safe' to secure your main rucksack while on your back and in transit. You can get mini ones to securing travel documents, iPods, etc. separately, which I also found invaluable. By far the most important piece of security kit is the hidden pocket for your passport, a credit card and some emergency cash (either the kind that loop around your waist, or affix to a belt and sit inside your pants.

If you're commencing your trip in Lima, you may not have time, but in neighbourhoods like Miraflores, you certainly could buy all the hiking clothes/gear you'd need. Buying locally can, actually save you money. On my trip, we were semi-prepared and took the decision to buy thermals, waterproofs while in Buenos Aires where we started from. While in Bolivia, you can certainly buy additional sweaters, hats, but it's highly advised to start your journey with good gear. But you don't need to go overboard.

Vaccinations might be advisable but not essential. You may or may not need some anti-malarials if visiting the jungle (I hope you're going to Coroico or Cochabamba). Bring some anti-diahorrea and anti-nausea tablets.

Altitude sickness can indeed be a problem. Everyone is affected differently. Coca leaves, either chewed or brewed as a tea really helps (essentially works in a similar way to aspirin in helping blood flow) and it's actually nice. This can be bought cheaply in local markets - a medium-sized bag (usually clear or green) would do you the whole trip. Borders shouldn't be an issue here because coca is entirely legal in Bolívia and permitted in limited quantities (100g) in the border regions of Perú, Argentina and Chile. Don't think about bringing it to the airport, though!

Most things needed can be bought along the way.

Enjoy your trip!

• Advertisement

sarkozy - thanks a million for all the info..

i think i will get all before i head off.. will rent a sleeping bag there though..

yeah i will go to the great outdoors..

there is info on the travel company website but its a bit general..

i shall be back to ask more no doubt..

but one question - is the hidden pocket the same as the pac safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I didnt bring walking boots just my normal runners and they were grand (for the Inca trail) so Id imagine you wont actually need walking boots..anyway they are heavy and take up lots of space. Weather was quite warm during the day in Peru in August...but got very cold after 6pm when it got dark....layers are your friend !!!

[QUOTE=solerina;85746989]I didnt bring walking boots just my normal runners and they were grand (for the Inca trail) so Id imagine you wont actually need walking boots..anyway they are heavy and take up lots of space. Weather was quite warm during the day in Peru in August...but got very cold after 6pm when it got dark....layers are your friend !!![/QUOTE]

really? and did you do the whole hike in runners? the 4 day hike?

sporina wrote: »
    really? and did you do the whole hike in runners? the 4 day hike?
    Yeah..except the last day which I did in flip flops..its not rough ground in fairness...its almost like an irregular pavement to be honest...I certainly dont think you need boots anyway !!! You also dont need much luggage as there are very cheap launderies all over the place so leave things you dont need at home (like the boots)

solerina wrote: »
    Yeah..except the last day which I did in flip flops..its not rough ground in fairness...its almost like an irregular pavement to be honest...I certainly dont think you need boots anyway !!! You also dont need much luggage as there are very cheap launderies all over the place so leave things you dont need at home (like the boots)

well i think i would like some ankle support.. but i think my boots will be too bulky.. don't particularly wanna buy new boots - i do need walking shoes though.. hmm..

• Advertisement

well i think i would like some ankle support.. but i think my boots will be too bulky.. don't particularly wanna buy new boots - i do need walking shoes though.. hmm..

Whatever you will feel comfortable in...but as I said the inca trail is not one bit rough so dont worry too much about footwear !!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭themacman

solerina wrote: »
    Whatever you will feel comfortable in...but as I said the inca trail is not one bit rough so dont worry too much about footwear !!

Confirmed. I did it in an old pair of Docs. I wouldn't bother with the hiking boots.

i have been looking on line on lonely planet and trip advisor..

there are a world of conflicting opinions…

i do need a pair of walking shoes so might just go with buying a new pair..

i am touring around peru and bolivia for 4 weeks so it would be good if i could find one pair of practical shoes/boots that would suit all occasions.. then just have flip flops and pumps for night..

but one question - is the hidden pocket the same as the pac safe?
    You want to split up your money and documents between, for example, your main rucksack, day pack and a hidden wallet under your clothes.

I had stuff stolen in Potosí, Bolívia. Silly how it happened, but it was a quick swipe of my day pack while I was taking a rest due to altitude sickness. I wasn't in the most attentive state and I was exploited for it.

Thankfully, I had my money, passport and cards in my hidden wallet, while my camera, iPod, etc. were gone. My big rucksack was too heavy to swipe, but then, the PacSafe is more useful for night time security and on transport.
    i am touring around peru and bolivia for 4 weeks so it would be good if i could find one pair of practical shoes/boots that would suit all occasions.. then just have flip flops and pumps for night..
    My Salomon walking/trail shoes were perfect for me (something similar to these, which also come in waterproof versions). You might be going through varied climates, from cold, dry high altitude to lower altitude sub-tropical. These shoes did me for three weeks trekking in China and four weeks rambling in South America. Still going strong.

I also agree with layering. Apart from thermal undergarments and something waterproof, you don't need anything special. Layering gives you all the options you'd ever need and you can pick up/wash things along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I would go with the lighter walking shoes, as you may end up not wearing them as much as you think, and they are not as heavy to carry! To be honest, on the Inca Trail, i found the going down parts tougher than the going up. It can be an hour of walking in a general up stairs fashion followed by a hour of pounding the knees going down the other side of a hill!!

I would recommend scanning all your documents (Passport, any insurance stuff) and emailing it to yourself, that way you always have a copy remotely should anything go wrong!

The best thing to do is talk to people when you are over there! When i got to Cusco, I spoke to people who were just back from the trail, so they knew the current weather and conditions, so advised what we did or didnt need to bring!

gucci wrote: »
    I would go with the lighter walking shoes, as you may end up not wearing them as much as you think, and they are not as heavy to carry! To be honest, on the Inca Trail, i found the going down parts tougher than the going up. It can be an hour of walking in a general up stairs fashion followed by a hour of pounding the knees going down the other side of a hill!!

I would recommend scanning all your documents (Passport, any insurance stuff) and emailing it to yourself, that way you always have a copy remotely should anything go wrong!

The best thing to do is talk to people when you are over there! When i got to Cusco, I spoke to people who were just back from the trail, so they knew the current weather and conditions, so advised what we did or didnt need to bring!

thanks for all that..

I will bring my hiking boots as well as hiking shoes.. I will need hiking shoes anyway and it is raining a little on the inca trail atm so best have the boots with me.. nothing worse that cold feet..

a question about money, I arrive into lime at 6pm local time. Should i bring us dollars to change to PEN? or €? or bring a few $'s and use my ATM card to withdraw money? what would be the cheapest option? PS I do not want to have a lot of cash on me at any given time..

thanks for all that..

I will bring my hiking boots as well as hiking shoes.. I will need hiking shoes anyway and it is raining a little on the inca trail atm so best have the boots with me.. nothing worse that cold feet..

a question about money, I arrive into lime at 6pm local time. Should i bring us dollars to change to PEN? or €? or bring a few $'s and use my ATM card to withdraw money? what would be the cheapest option? PS I do not want to have a lot of cash on me at any given time..

The atm machines over there give out both US dollars and Peru currency. Personally I would bring us dollars if you were planning to change money before you go. Like everything else the currency exchange places are pure sharks, so it might be best to use the atm card if your bank isn't going to bigger you with charges.
    Can't remember which bank it was but one of the atm s in Cusco actually gave me a fake 50Peru note. It's wasn't a great experience trying to get it changed they were absolutely denying it could be there fault ext.

Also I'd recommend bring in ear plugs, essentials for any travel/ sleep arrangements in the world really! And we also needed to carry I think it was $100 with us on the trail in case you needed to be air lifted!!! Kinda funny as I'm sure it would cost a lot more but that's what we were advises (gap adventures was who we went with)

Trying

Looked it up there,it was Interbank that scammed me.....

gucci wrote: »

thanks for all that..

i am going to bring a few $'s with me and then take out peruvian sol's with my atm card. I will stay away from that bank so.

• Advertisement

You just want to go into real bank branches. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

If i was to offer any advice it would be this: in the larger cities, when getting into taxis always lock both doors once inside and avoid any hackneys.. (look for a company phone number on the car) - i'm serious!

we don't want you getting kidnapped!

The Footprints Guide is really useful for knowing in each country which kinds of taxis are the safe kinds. If in doubt, dip into somewhere and say something like 'quero telefono por un taxi' or some pidgin Spanish like that!

ahhhh my trip is coming soon.. heading off next wednesday,.

I have my merrel hiking shoes.. i decided to go with shoes as oppose to mid boots - i need shoes anyway…

i got a money bag to put around my neck - not v excited about it.. can't imagine me wearing it under my clothes.. we will see.

I have most things I need but will get some more over there..

thanks for all the replies.. cannot wait..

good luck and enjoy! Im well jealous!

don't forget to have lots of pisco sours!

people.. back from peru/bolivia..

wowwwww… nothing could have prepared me for what was the awesomeness o peru.. the people. the history, the intelligence, their pride, the food, the respect.. awesome..

i was well prepared and all when to plan.

intrepid were amazing.. their knowledge/pride.. i am so glad that i choose them…

i shall be returning to south america for sure.. xx

Nice to hear you didn't get anything stolen! I got cleaned out in Potosí bus station. I'd still go back to Bolívia in a flash.

Peru felt much more developed.

So, what was your itinerary? Where did you get to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 HodgeDog

Check the weather online and make sure that no matter what you are wearing it is comfortable especially boots.

people.. back from peru/bolivia..

wowwwww… nothing could have prepared me for what was the awesomeness o peru.. the people. the history, the intelligence, their pride, the food, the respect.. awesome..

i was well prepared and all when to plan.

intrepid were amazing.. their knowledge/pride.. i am so glad that i choose them…

i shall be returning to south america for sure.. xx

I know how you feel.........I loved every minute of my time in Peru, what did you think of Bolivia...I havnt been there...yet :)

• Advertisement

bolivia felt a little more authentic than peru.. more indigenous but less friendly - but i guess that goes hand in hand..

i was a little more weary in la paz.. but i got use to it..

i prefer peru to bolivia but thats a personal thing..

Bolivia's tougher to make your way, but there are real pay-offs. It's a developing country, so you have to improvise more and be a bit more careful. It can be a challenge at first, but you work it out. I enjoyed the adventure that way.

Getting to Arequipa, having entered Peru via Puno, felt bizarrely like South Africa at times because some better-off areas seemed so sanitised. I never even felt that in Argentina.

I'm told it's typical of Aymara culture to not be so gregarious (that's coming from centuries of indigenous culture and historical experience), but I wouldn't call it unfriendliness. But I agree, Peru by comparison is more 'touristy' that way.

Advertisement