Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer acting up

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me :)

I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX

Up until 3pm today everything was fine.

Now whenever I load any 3d game (GTAIV for example) I can play for 1-3minutes then the screens goes blank, briefly loosing monitor connection, then crashes out of the game, back into the game, blank screen again and then the computer reboots itself.

I am getting a 'Kernel-Power ID 41 Task 63' critical error in event logger.

My GPU temps while idle are 57C
    My Core temps are 63-73C

Not sure if that is too high and could be a problem.

Have ran memtest -no problems
    Prime95 - no problems
    HDD check -no problems
    Anti-virus - no problems
    PC diag- no problems
    FurMark -no problems
    Dell Diag -crashes at 3d Wireframe test.

My specs are

Interl core i7 CPU 3.2gh

Ram. 6GB

Win7 ultimate
    Creative x-fi
    Dual Nvidia GTX 580

250G SSD boot drive & 4TB storage

Like I said, everything was working fine until today, no system changes, updates or anything.

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hey all,

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me :)

I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX

Up until 3pm today everything was fine.

Now whenever I load any 3d game (GTAIV for example) I can play for 1-3minutes then the screens goes blank, briefly loosing monitor connection, then crashes out of the game, back into the game, blank screen again and then the computer reboots itself.

I am getting a 'Kernel-Power ID 41 Task 63' critical error in event logger.

My GPU temps while idle are 57C
    My Core temps are 63-73C

Not sure if that is too high and could be a problem.

Have ran memtest -no problems
    Prime95 - no problems
    HDD check -no problems
    Anti-virus - no problems
    PC diag- no problems
    FurMark -no problems
    Dell Diag -crashes at 3d Wireframe test.

My specs are

Interl core i7 CPU 3.2gh

Ram. 6GB

Win7 ultimate
    Creative x-fi
    Dual Nvidia GTX 580

250G SSD boot drive & 4TB storage

Like I said, everything was working fine until today, no system changes, updates or anything.

Cheers in advance :)

Have you tried a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers? Use something like Driver Sweeper after Nvidia uninstall to completely remove the old drivers (during driver sweeper install untick all toolbars and other junk) then re-install the latest non-beta drivers from www.nvidia.com

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

yoyo wrote: »
    Have you tried a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers? Use something like Driver Sweeper after Nvidia uninstall to completely remove the old drivers (during driver sweeper install untick all toolbars and other junk) then re-install the latest non-beta drivers from www.nvidia.com

Nick

Seems to have stopped today

update the sata controller and have latest nvidia drivers.

So will see. :)

Cheers for the reply though!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

less than helpful with this issue, but a lot of alienware SKUs we were given to sell in the last year have proven to be defective or act funny. Had to set up a couple for display and always had issues with the X51s, one or two were even given a systemwide recall. Dig a little deeper into whether you can find others online with the same problem.

Overheal wrote: »
    less than helpful with this issue, but a lot of alienware SKUs we were given to sell in the last year have proven to be defective or act funny. Had to set up a couple for display and always had issues with the X51s, one or two were even given a systemwide recall. Dig a little deeper into whether you can find others online with the same problem.

cheers for that, will dig, see what i can find.

Howdy all,

thought id resurrect this thread as I seemed to fine a solution that has worked 100% for the past couple months...

and it was simple...

Turns out not to be the PSU at all

What happened was a Dell techie had moved the places of my Dual Nvidia cards. He put the soundcard between them. Idea was to stop the two card from overheating with combined heat.

Didnt work.

The soundcard heated the lower graphics cards, which was causing the blacks screens.

I simply made the other graphics card the primary one and switched the dvi cables to that card. And no longer am I getting black screens or Kernel 41 errors :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement