Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these courses should i do?

Options
  • 29-07-2013 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Im studying Software Development full time now which has an emphasis on Java, Web programming and Business.

My work which isnt actually Software related (Tech support for ISP) has agreed to fund any courses i want to do. Obviously im gonna go for something IT related.

This Company here seems to do good distance learning courses with good reviews so id like to do some of the following courses

Java £2000 (Im doing this in college already. Would it be clever to have 2 qualifications in Java? Much of a benefit on paper?)

Android Development £1000 (really like the sound of this)

Internet and Web Programming £1000 (Straight up web design etc.)

Oracle Databases £1000 (Sounds like it could benefit a career but i dont know as ive never worked in the industry)

Cloud Computing £1000 (Also sounds really beneficial. 3 different ones to choose from. Not sure which one would be best)

Budget is £3000. What combination should i do and why?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Personally I'd do Java and either the Oracle DB or web dev course depending on what you find interesting. I can't see a course in cloud computing being useful but I could be wrong. Once you can program, picking up specific platforms like Android is something you can do easily in your own time.

Edit: just saw your comment about doing a Java course already. In that case, unless you feel you'd benefit from a second one, I'd do web dev, oracle and cloud but you'd really need to see what's covered by the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

If it was 1000 id definitely do Java but 2000 is a big chunk of change that will mean i cant do 2 of the others. Diploma in New Product management is looking beneficial now aswell. Tough decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I can't help but notice they are all distance learning. I have to question what benefit these courses offer over just going out and buying a book to teach yourself.

Basically its not out of my pocket. If it was id completely agree. I suppose my aim would be to get the skills to do Microsoft and Oracle etc.. exams at a later stage which are a lot cheaper to do.

Its more not to let it go to waste. Something to run along side my full time degree and hopefully benefit me. I cant just write i watched a load of youtube videos \ read some books on a CV. These courses wont get you a job by themselves but im sure they will give me a slight edge over another graduate who didnt do these.

Edit - Java ia actually 1000 and gets you ready for the Oracle exam so ill most likely do that, and maybe pay for the actual oracle exam.
    Thats about 1200 used up. So Java, Oracle exams and maybe the Oracle database course and Oracle exams.

Thats 2 good courses and 600 left over for maybe a microsoft exam if im up to that standard in college by next year.

Sound good?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody who has taken the Oracle DB exams, I can tell you that the DB one you list above, in my opinion, isn't worth a damn.

l honestly cannot see an employer viewing an ICM certificate as being of benefit.

• Advertisement

What would you recommend? I have a free semester in 2014 which basically means about 8 months off including summer. Im trying to defer some of the courses to then if thats possible and maybe do a java course now alongside my College Degree.

Advertisement