Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samoyed eating his house

• 29-07-2013 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

hi there

I have a 14month old Samoyed and as the title suggests he's constantly eating his wooden house! I'm just wondering what I can do to prevent this..he's out and about every day, gets walked and has numerous toys to play with but this doesn't seem enough for him at times! I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to stop this habit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    hi there

I have a 14month old Samoyed and as the title suggests he's constantly eating his wooden house! I'm just wondering what I can do to prevent this..he's out and about every day, gets walked and has numerous toys to play with but this doesn't seem enough for him at times! I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to stop this habit?

Firstly I would say purchase some "crib halt" its great at stopping them chewing and safe for dogs, google it you can get it online.

Secondly you will need to keep an eye on him, chewing kennels / wood is very very dangerous for the dog, splinters can cause lots of internal injuries etc.

Thirdly you need to address why he is doing this... most dogs become destrucitive due to boredom. With regard to him having toys, dogs arent into toys really unless you are playing with them, they wont play alone... sure thats no fun.

Exercise is usually the key, plus interaction with the family.

Have long is he walked each day? do you allow him inside to be with you during the day / evening?

Dogs needs lots of family interaction the avoid boredom, they dont want to be alone (now sorry im not saying you dog is alone in the garden but LOTS of people do this), they are social creatures who thrive on social interaction, family companionship and exercise.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Thanks for the reply Cocker5..

will definitely look into getting the crib halt! thanks for the tip.

secondly he's out and about all day..he's allowed inside the house and he spends most of the time with us. Im currently not working so he's with me from morning till bedtime unless I'm away somewhere, which isn't very much. He also goes to my parents near by to play with their dog everyday..In relation to being walked we go for a 3mile thtrek everyday in some woods near us and he runs free off his lead.

I don't think it's due to not enough interaction with us! I think he is spoilt actually! :) but maybe I'm wrong..is their anything I could put on the wood so he wouldn't like the taste of it..I got some stuff in the pet shop earlier in the year that they said was excellent but it didn't work at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks for the reply Cocker5..

will definitely look into getting the crib halt! thanks for the tip.

secondly he's out and about all day..he's allowed inside the house and he spends most of the time with us. Im currently not working so he's with me from morning till bedtime unless I'm away somewhere, which isn't very much. He also goes to my parents near by to play with their dog everyday..In relation to being walked we go for a 3mile thtrek everyday in some woods near us and he runs free off his lead.

I don't think it's due to not enough interaction with us! I think he is spoilt actually! :) but maybe I'm wrong..is their anything I could put on the wood so he wouldn't like the taste of it..I got some stuff in the pet shop earlier in the year that they said was excellent but it didn't work at all..

the crib halt is stuff you paint on the wood to stop hime chewing, i had to use it years ago on my shed, deck etc to stop my cocker from destroying everything! Its used on fences to stop horses from chewing the the fences and their stable doors. Its excellent.

I used the spray stuff from the pet stores, didnt stop my guy at all.... the crib halt honestly works a treat.

It comes in like a gel, you just paint it on.... it will def work :P

cocker5 wrote: »
    the crib halt is stuff you paint on the wood to stop hime chewing, i had to use it years ago on my shed, deck etc to stop my cocker from destroying everything! Its used on fences to stop horses from chewing the the fences and their stable doors. Its excellent.

I used the spray stuff from the pet stores, didnt stop my guy at all.... the crib halt honestly works a treat.

It comes in like a gel, you just paint it on.... it will def work :P

its definitely what I need to get then. Thanks for the tips..I usually have a very happy puppy just when the fancy takes him he likes to do this. I hope I'm doing enough for him kuz he really is like my baby. :)

I've used wash up liquid with success! Just smear it where he's biting. He's bored or possibly teething. Make sure he has plenty of safe chewy toys. These needn't cost a fortune. I've found a 2litre drink bottle, with lid on to keep it inflated, is great! Another "Toy" are old socks, knotted in the middle. A knuckle or ham bone (Can be got in Tesco) is another good idea, maybe once a month or so.

• Advertisement

he gets the bones..I get them in the pet shop. He has lots of chew toys but I have to be very careful what I give him as the cheaper ones he tends to destroy and then try to eat. I find old football boots are very good as they are so tough.

would he still be teething at 14 months?

he gets the bones..I get them in the pet shop. He has lots of chew toys but I have to be very careful what I give him as the cheaper ones he tends to destroy and then try to eat. I find old football boots are very good as they are so tough.

would he still be teething at 14 months?

Maybe not. Some dogs differ. I like the idea of old football boots! When you say he's out and about, is it in a large or small space? Does he have room to have a good gallop? If not is there anywhere safe you could take him to let him have a good run?

I live in the countryside so have big lawn area that he runs around in all day., It's fenced off so he can't get out..He happily goes out for a while and will then come back in to say hello. as I mentioned in a previous post he also gets a 3mile walk every day. It's in a local wood where he runs free for about an hour..so he has lots of changes to run around during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

My husky has done the same. He has taken the front of one of the wooden kennels not out of boredom but it's more comfortable for him now seemingly :-/ Took less than an hours too! He also has the 2nd kennel floor gone because a bone went under it. Watch out for the nails and screws too... To be honest my dog is liable to destroy anything when he feels like it (he gets cycled, ran and walked daily 6-7miles!!) and not because he's 'bored'

My husky has done the same. He has taken the front of one of the wooden kennels not out of boredom but it's more comfortable for him now seemingly :-/ Took less than an hours too! He also has the 2nd kennel floor gone because a bone went under it. Watch out for the nails and screws too... To be honest my dog is liable to destroy anything when he feels like it (he gets cycled, ran and walked daily 6-7miles!!) and not because he's 'bored'

thanks for the reply a bit of sense. I honestly don't think it's kuz he's bored. I think he just gets mischievous sometimes and starts doing it. I will be getting him a new house before the winter but I don't want the same thing to happen again so would like to know what I can do to prevent this from happening to his new house. But strangely he doesn't eat furniture inside or shoes or anything like that to maybe like you said he's trying to make his house more comfortable for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement