Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters Wood, Dublin 24

Options
  • 29-07-2013 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, We are looking to buy a place in hunters walk, hunterswood, and would appreciate any info-good or bad about the area. We have 3 young kids and wonder if it is a safe place for kids to grow up in.
    Any info would be much appreciated.
    Many hanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it's safe. Jam packed with couples between 25 and 40 with children under 10. The majority of the people living there grew up in Terenure/Templeogue/Rathfarnham, so it's very much middle class.
    There's an apartment block which has occasional anti-social issues, but that's generally between renting tenants in the block or in the underground car park as opposed to anything spilling out onto the street :D

It's a little isolated in that most amenities (parks, etc) have to be driven to, but there's a bus terminus literally on the doorstep with a bus every five minutes at peak. There is a feeling of remoteness in the area, primarily because of the unfinished building site across the road in Dalriada. There are plans to finish it, but who knows when.

There is a halting site in the neighbouring Daletree estate which used to be a source of some hassle for residents on that edge of the estate, but I haven't heard of any trouble in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this Hunters Wood in Oldcourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tillydear

@ Seamus. thanks a great lot Seamus. Very much appreciate your help.

@ Victor. I am still not familiar with the area yet but from the map i can see that hunterswood is close to old court.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote: »
    Is this Hunters Wood in Oldcourt?
    The OldCourt road runs along the southern edge of the estate, but afaik it's in the old townland of Ballycullen, east of Oldcourt.

Edit; Nope, it's not actually, it's in the old townland of Oldcourt.

I've never heard anyone actually use oldcourt in the address though.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Hi Tillydear,
    We're looking at buying a place in Hunterswood at the moment, can I ask how you've found it so far?

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Annalis

it's Ballycullen but ppl often say Firhouse.

My understanding is that it is not Firhouse as Firhouse is from the other side of the scholarstown rd down..The Ballycullen road is split by that interaction.

it's not tallaght either.

It's just one of the many places under the d24 postcode.

Hope I've got that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Its a grand area. Not perfect though. I live there and have lived in Knocklyon/Firhouse all my life. The worst problems are the constant ongoing low level issues from the halting site in Daletree, anti social behaviour, petty opportunistic theft and harrassment etc... There is also a halting site at the top of Stocking Lane and recently there have been some reports of issues there (bare knuckle fights going on on the street). Although it has calmed down in recent years there have been a lot of joyriding and rallying of cars up the Old Court Road on up the mountain at night.

There is a new LIDL about to open on the Old Court Road. I am looking forward to that as the Old Court Road has not been entirely safe feeling for a woman alone since I moved in up there and I (and other female neighbours) have been harrassed by teens in cars (mostly travellers) when jogging/walking alone there on a number of occasions - its not "dangerous" but its intimidating and the entire stretch from the tall apartment block at Hunterswood to Ferncourt is basically walled with estates behind the walls so it feels isolated.

Personally, as someone who has bought right next to Hunterswood, if I had the money back again and the knowledge that I have now - Id be more inclined to go with "old" Firhouse - there are more amenities, less anti social issues, and less isolation.

In saying that, the proximity to the mountain, the noise of the cows mooing me to sleep and the newer amenities coming along like LIDL (and the bus route has been a godsend as well) do make up for some of the minor irritations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

personally not a fan of Hunterswood its typical of al lot of boomtime builds walls like cardboard, properties shoehorned on top of each other, very few ameneties, a crap bus service, cronic traffic.

the last post and all the anti social behavior being mentioned is news to me though. Not sure its as bad as the last poster seems to be making out.

that said Id agree "old firhouse" in my opinion is much more appealing.

As for Annalis does it really matter if its Ballycullen, Firhouse or Tallaght ? This discussion has been done to death in the past it really doesn't matter.

Everybody for some bizzare reason thinks D24 = Tallaght which of course is incorrect but I don't see the point in arguing it with people.

D3PO wrote: »
    the last post and all the anti social behavior being mentioned is news to me though. Not sure its as bad as the last poster seems to be making out.

I did say it was low level - but it is constant. I live in Beechdale and I could list specific incidents for you - unless you experience it for yourself you probably wouldnt know about it, its hardly newsworthy stuff, petty crime and harrassment dont make the papers.

There is also a big difference in the perception of safety as a woman alone compared to a man alone, my husband has never once been harrassed on the street locally day or night - but I have on a number of occasions, including being flashed at by a teenager in Ballycragh Park - again not newsworthy, but not pleasant.

I have never felt scared or been intimidated by day in the area.

Don't normally venture out after dark anywhere just not clever nowadays as a female.
    That's not to say you shouldn't be able too though.

My house was broken into in 2006 12 noon. Set of the alarm. New area with everyone at work meant it went unnoticed.
    Car, tv and electrical stuff mainly taken. then they sprayed lighter fluid on the carpets. I think if interrupted they might have dropped a match..
    Changed a few bits like the alarm now txts phone and got CCTV which I can check from anywhere , security lights on sensors and got rid of turn locks and it's key access... As it was so easy to break in to with the glass side panels beside the front door and the turn locks.
    No trouble since.

• Advertisement

I jog up that direction most evenings although admittedly im not from the area its just part of my 15km route.

Ive never seen any thing untoward and its certainly not unsafe after dark. I don't particularly like the area for the reasons Ive already mentioned but I think its a bit much saying its unsafe or even remotely a crime hotspot. From my knowledge and knowing people living there its actually a decvent area in that regard.

It just suffers severely from a lack of ameneties and poor public transport links and most of the other things associated with celtic tiger construction areas

D3PO
    apologies if my post annoyed you.
    I'm new to this forum.. Only a couple of days.
    I was not aware it was done to death.
    My SIL is from Tallaght and insists I live in tallaght. Other ppl say Firhouse which also is incorrect in my eyes.. It's not new Firhouse as you refer to "old"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I rented there for a couple of years and was glad to move on. It's a prime example of a Celtic Tiger development and it's a bit soulless and grey. There are zero amenities and with so many young children there, teenage groups could be an issue in years to come. If your girlfriend is stuck on Tallaght then Firhouse, Belgard Heights and Kingswood would be better options I think.

Dreading the addition of new houses they have planned along old court road..when they still haven't finished with stocking wood or dalrida!
    Yes to the schools and other amenities but not more houses.. Just not needed right now.

Ive never seen any thing untoward and its certainly not unsafe after dark. I don't particularly like the area for the reasons Ive already mentioned but I think its a bit much saying its unsafe or even remotely a crime hotspot. From my knowledge and knowing people living there its actually a decvent area in that regard.

If you wish to verify for yourself the issues I have described please feel free to contact Rathfarnham Garda Station who are well familiar with the situation.

Its probably no worse than most places but I have personally experienced more minor issues since I lived in Beechdale (8 years now) than in my entire 30 years previous in Knocklyon and "old" Firhouse both. As Ive said, not newsworthy, nothing major, but low level pain in the butt type stuff. Certainly not crime hotspot and Ive no idea how you concluded that.

you haven't annoyed me :)

Your SIL is wrong. Its this bizzare thing people have thinking D24 = Tallaght not that it matters anyway.

It would be like somebody calling D15 Blanchardstown when its not its Blanch or Castleknock or Mullhuddart or wherever it is. I just don't really understand why people think that D24 is one area. Its one of those strange annomolies.

I kind of understand why people say its Firhouse but again does it really matter. Id agree its Ballycullen but whatever you call it it doesn't change where it is, so its a pointless argument really.

Annalis wrote: »
    Dreading the addition of new houses they have planned along old court road..when they still haven't finished with stocking wood or dalrida!
    Yes to the schools and other amenities but not more houses.. Just not needed right now.

Thats all only proposed, nothing in stone yet, to my knowledge the farmer is not planning to sell that dairy farm.

would be Ludacris for the council to give PP for anymore housing up there when theres two unfinished estates in Dalrida and Stocking wood.

Although both are technically D16 (I think)

Sitting here having a cuppa and looking out at my wonder view. Love it.

It worries me what's being said about the area. I like it here but there is not the same sense of community, wish we had that here.

I hate to admit I only know a few neighbours and that's only improving now because I've kids and it's just from chatting with them while out on the green.
    When working i dont see anyone.

Its great to have the swings and playground. We also have a puck around on the green so it does sound all bad now does it. 😊

would be Ludacris for the council to give PP for anymore housing up there when theres two unfinished estates in Dalrida and Stocking wood.

Although both are technically D16 (I think)

Dalriada is mostly going to become social housing, NAMA sold remaining units to the state a couple of years ago at knockdown prices. It was in the papers but the only internet link I can find is that one from the property pin. Ive a friend who bought there at the height of things and effectively had the value of her property slashed to a fraction of its cost because of that deal.

• Advertisement

D3PO
    They'll get more money (lol) for the D16.. Madness not to finish!

My god the drama of the road split!!
    So silly.
    I'm 9 years up here now. Bar the break in as mentioned and my neighbour's domestics.. It's been grand.

I really worry for her though (my neighbour). She knows I know, she looks at me with venom because I could be a treat I suppose. If I got involved.. I've not yet. But she's a little person the same age as my little person. It's horrible to think these things go on in front of kids.

D3PO
    They'll get more money (lol) for the D16.. Madness not to finish!

My god the drama of the road split!!
    So silly.
    I'm 9 years up here now. Bar the break in as mentioned and my neighbour's domestics.. It's been grand.

I really worry for her though (my neighbour). She knows I know, she looks at me with venom because I could be a treat I suppose. If I got involved.. I've not yet. But she's a little person the same age as my little person. It's horrible to think these things go on in front of kids.

Sure postcodes are a nonsense anyway IMO.

My Inlaws live in "old firhouse" funnily enough they still have the old paper ad from the early 1970's when their estate was built and went for sale.

Monalea was "Templeogue Dublin 16 then" Now its not Templeogue nor D16 lol

In fact Templeogue isn't even D16 anymore its now D6W

Its all based on snobbery IMO. And it works both ways, no idea why people get so hung up on postcodes.

Although I do concede they have an inherent value associated with them, which Id hoped the new postcode system would irradicate but doesn't seem like it will.

Will that ever happen? The new post code system?? Wasn't it about 2005 they mentioned it and the snobs went mental!!

Ha ha when i was a kid, we were Templeogue D12 (first) then it changed to D16 now D6W.

Will that ever happen? The new post code system?? Wasn't it about 2005 they mentioned it and the snobs went mental!!

Ha ha when i was a kid, we were Templeogue D12 (first) then it changed to D16 now D6W.

Na your wrong I was brought up in templeogue it went like this :)

D16 then D6 then proposed to move to D12 and all hell broke loose so a special D6W postcode was setup as the snobs lobbied the local councillers.

People need to get over themselves tbh the flipping place didn't move its only a flaming postcode sheesh lol

I remember writing it as a kid it was 12, 16, 6 (your right) then 6w.. Maybe they didnt want to move it back 12.. As 12 was then Crumlin, Walkinstown?

My parents are away I'll annoy them when back.. I'm nearly sure we startes at 12.. Lol
    Templeogue is big too.. So maybe it was my side? My parents are Wellington lane side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sure postcodes are a nonsense anyway IMO.

My Inlaws live in "old firhouse" funnily enough they still have the old paper ad from the early 1970's when their estate was built and went for sale.

In fact Templeogue isn't even D16 anymore its now D6W

Its all based on snobbery IMO. And it works both ways, no idea why people get so hung up on postcodes.

Although I do concede they have an inherent value associated with them, which Id hoped the new postcode system would irradicate but doesn't seem like it will.

Monalea is no more D6W than Jobstown is.

Its D24. you can check it here. http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

It was D12 for a period until D6W was specially created. Cant remember how long for mind you wants that long though.

Glendown here so we were very close so that's not it lol. :P

Poor ould Santa must have had a headache replying to all those childrens letters from Temploeuge. What postcode to use ? ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    Monalea is no more D6W than Jobstown is.

Its D24. you can check it here. http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

Can you read :rolleyes: God almighty

I was talking about 43 years ago FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Best thing about being from the D24 area is riling up people telling them they are from Tallaght :D I'm proud of it just these "wastelanders" cant handle a joke :p

• Advertisement

D3PO- where did you go to school?

Advertisement