Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters Wood, Dublin 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Annalis wrote: »
    D3PO- where did you go to school?

Presentation when it was actually a mixed school up to 1st class (showing my age !! ) then Joeys Terenure.

Then went to McDara's (when my parents became less snobby hehe (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

D3PO wrote: »
    personally not a fan of Hunterswood its typical of al lot of boomtime builds walls like cardboard, properties shoehorned on top of each other, very few ameneties, a crap bus service, cronic traffic.
    Tbh, while some of the finishing in the properties was cheap and poor, the actual structural build is pretty good considering when they were built. I've lived in proper cardboard celtic tiger builds, the stuff in Hunterswood is well built, just cheaply finished. Maybe there was a change in building standards or something.

The bus service is actually great. You've two routes terminating there and leaving on a regular basis. It's a better service than you get in some places closer to the city :D
    Don't notice the traffic myself, but then I don't drive to work. Outside of peak times, there are no traffic issues.
    Amenities is a fair point, but it's getting better with the Lidl going in down the road and the local area plan being finalised.

It's worth remembering that the estate is less than ten years old and the arse fell out of everything right as the estate was finished, so all of the amenities of shops, parklands, sports grounds, etc which would have been built, weren't. They will come along in the next decade.

The "community feel" has definitely been coming into the estate over the last few years. People have been settling properly there (rather than moving onto bigger properties), having kids, etc.
    the last post and all the anti social behavior being mentioned is news to me though. Not sure its as bad as the last poster seems to be making out.
    It's a weird one. Daletree and Beechdale have a reputation for having regular low-level trouble, which for some reason hasn't crept into Hunterswood, except for the one road bordering Daletree.
    There is a road of traveller accommodation in Daletree which is just a complete cesspit, so perhaps that's the source of the reputation and Beechdale/Daletree on the whole is actually fine.
    Or maybe it's the fact that it borders Ballycragh Park and Scholar's Pub, both of which have reputations for being less than savoury after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

seamus wrote: »
    It's a weird one. Daletree and Beechdale have a reputation for having regular low-level trouble, which for some reason hasn't crept into Hunterswood, except for the one road bordering Daletree.
    There is a road of traveller accommodation in Daletree which is just a complete cesspit, so perhaps that's the source of the reputation and Beechdale/Daletree on the whole is actually fine.
    Or maybe it's the fact that it borders Ballycragh Park and Scholar's Pub, both of which have reputations for being less than savoury after dark.

I helped out one of the local politicians a few years back, knocking on doors asking for votes. I covered the area around Beechdale, and some of Daletree. It was interesting that the further you got from Daletree Close the less peoples awareness was of any hassle, but the closer you got it was more likely to be the first thing that people brought up. There were some very very angry people along Beechdale Road and Beechdale Place who were suffering almost weekly hassle, whereas the end of Beechdale Avenue intersecting with Oakdale were largely unaware of problems.

It is worth remembering that when Beechdale estate was built, there was no through road to Daletree Road and they right of way had been extinguished (that patch of wasteland between Hunterswood and now LIDL was once the Daletree Road.) Daletree was closed off from Beechdale by a wall. When they built the social housing on Daletree Court, that wall was knocked down and they opened that road to join around with Beechdale Road -that was when the problems started.

Things had quietened down considerably in recent years but recently there has been a spate of minor issues arising again - presumably as certain groups of kids reach a trouble making age.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Annalis

Tbh, while some of the finishing in the properties was cheap and poor, the actual structural build is pretty good considering when they were built.

"The "community feel" has definitely been coming into the estate over the last few years. People have been settling properly there.

I concur yes there is a bit of banging from the fact that the doors are fired doors on chains - which we removed lol..
    But I think it's ok..

Yes too cheaply finished.
    We didn't have a thing.. Not a shower door, loo roll holder, appliances or tiles.. It was bare and magnolia.. !!
    And MAN definitely put no thought into the kitchens! We've had to replace ours for more storage and as we are not moving...You've got to make the best of what you've got.
    Also redid bathroom and ensuite..

Presentation when it was actually a mixed school up to 1st class (showing my age !! ) then Joeys Terenure.

Then went to McDara's (when my parents became less snobby hehe (joking)

I went to Mc Dara's too we probably know eachother or siblings do!!
    I started in BSNS and then BGNS. My eldest is in BSNS now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Dalriada and Stocking Wood will be completed relatively quickly now. They are lashing up houses in Stocking Wood from foundation to ridge in only 6 weeks recently, and they sold out before there was a spade in the ground. The builders will take advantage of the current madness (at least in the headlines) to get them up while the market is going.

New phases of both will be announced and it will be like 2005 all over again with queues of people pen in hand ready to sign off the plans.

The council's Local Area Plan also radically changes the density, and they envision streets of semi-d's with driveways and gardens the further up the hill you go south of the Oldcourt Road. It will be nothing like Hunterswood, which speaking as someone who spent his earlier years walking up the Kilakee Road to the hellfire club, is an absolute travesty in terms of suitable design/density for that spot.

Interesting stuff Spokety, , must take a drive up round that area one of these days and see how it has changed with all this building work going on.

I haven't been up around Stocking wood, Dalrida in a good 6 months but It was pretty grim to look at the unfinished state of the place then.

spockety wrote: »

The council's Local Area Plan also radically changes the density, and they envision streets of semi-d's with driveways and gardens the further up the hill you go south of the Oldcourt Road. It will be nothing like Hunterswood, which speaking as someone who spent his earlier years walking up the Kilakee Road to the hellfire club, is an absolute travesty in terms of suitable design/density for that spot.

Which in your opinion is the travesty hunterswood or the impending semi ds??

Interesting stuff Spokety, , must take a drive up round that area one of these days and see how it has changed with all this building work going on.

I haven't been up around Stocking wood, Dalrida in a good 6 months but It was pretty grim to look at the unfinished state of the place then.

It hasnt changed. There may be building work going on but its not visible from the road.

I saw a lone deer standing amid bits of desolate machinery and overgrown wasteland up that way last year. If Id had a camera it would have been a prize winning shot.

Either way semi ds or hunters, this is a beautiful scenic area that has changed so much since I was a kid.. Before the Ballycullen road was built, we use to walk up that way to get to the hellfire/massey's as kids 11-12 year olds from Templeogue, delaney's then the holy well, all our little landmarks.. "are we nearly there..."
    What a journey.. How times have changed not an adult in sight or a phone box on the route.. Remember a friend jumping off the hellfire ruin and sprained her ankle!! Long trek home.. Hobble hobble!

• Advertisement

yeah I used to love cycling up to the hell fire that way. It was a lovely cycle very scenic. Its such a pity all that building took place but what can ya do.

Christ the ballycullen road from Mortons pub up used to be no more than a country lane now look at it.

yeah I used to love cycling up to the hell fire that way. It was a lovely cycle very scenic. Its such a pity all that building took place but what can ya do.

Christ the ballycullen road from Mortons pub up used to be no more than a country lane now look at it.

I know!!

The big change there came the summer of 1995. It was a country lane, I went to the states and worked for the summer, and when I came back - it was a big road!! Remember Maggies little blue shop opposite Glenvara Park and the little shop up the lane beside Delaneys?

Before they extended Glenvara Park there used to be a large post in the ground that the cows had rubbed smooth with their heads - we used to hang over the fence and pet them.

The Hare Krishnas house was another wonderland of delights for a child, the beautiful bluebell meadow beside it - we had huts everywhere. I once fell from a tree that no longer exists around that area.

Dalriada and Stocking Wood will be completed relatively quickly now. They are lashing up houses in Stocking Wood from foundation to ridge in only 6 weeks recently, and they sold out before there was a spade in the ground. The builders will take advantage of the current madness (at least in the headlines) to get them up while the market is going.

New phases of both will be announced and it will be like 2005 all over again with queues of people pen in hand ready to sign off the plans.
    I had heard rumours that Ellier (the guys who are building Dalriada) had gone into receivership, but I can't find any information on it, and they have changed the plans in the last 12 months. Where they previously planned to build duplexes and apartment blocks on that land, they've changed it now to townhouses and semi-d's. They've obviously spotted the shortfall in the market and have decided to go for it.

Building has resumed in Stocking Wood, much to the relief of the existing residents, but I've seen no sign of any work in Dalriada for at least a year. For the moment, they're just filling in the gap at Stocking Wood Walk, but I wouldn't be surprised if they move across the road to sort out Stocking Well after that.
    Little thing you mightn't have known; the original plans for Dalriada on both sides of Stocking Avenue were to build five-storey "landmark" apartment blocks, the same size as Hunter's hall. If they'd started building them in 2005 you could easily have a southside Ballymun right there full of problem tenants and empty apartments.
    If not that, it would still have been an out-of-place eyesore like the stuff that was built all along the Enniskerry Road.
    Thankfully they've changed these to just houses and I get to keep my view :D

The big change there came the summer of 1995. It was a country lane, I went to the states and worked for the summer, and when I came back - it was a big road!! Remember Maggies little blue shop opposite Glenvara Park and the little shop up the lane beside Delaneys?

I don't but my wife does. Big changes there in the past 20 years.

#gettingold

I don't but my wife does. Big changes there in the past 20 years.

#gettingold

Ive started a photo documenting project of the area around Firhouse. I took a load of pics 1-2 years ago (just an ordinary camera) with the plan to go back to the same spots and take the same pics every few years. Already the face of things has changed with the Victory Centre closed, LIDL being built, work started on the site of the Old Court Garden Centre.

It might make a nice book or website in 40 years time.

I had heard rumours that Ellier (the guys who are building Dalriada) had gone into receivership, but I can't find any information on it, and they have changed the plans in the last 12 months. Where they previously planned to build duplexes and apartment blocks on that land, they've changed it now to townhouses and semi-d's. They've obviously spotted the shortfall in the market and have decided to go for it.

Building has resumed in Stocking Wood, much to the relief of the existing residents, but I've seen no sign of any work in Dalriada for at least a year. For the moment, they're just filling in the gap at Stocking Wood Walk, but I wouldn't be surprised if they move across the road to sort out Stocking Well after that.

Little thing you mightn't have known; the original plans for Dalriada on both sides of Stocking Avenue were to build five-storey "landmark" apartment blocks, the same size as Hunter's hall. If they'd started building them in 2005 you could easily have a southside Ballymun right there full of problem tenants and empty apartments.
    If not that, it would still have been an out-of-place eyesore like the stuff that was built all along the Enniskerry Road.
    Thankfully they've changed these to just houses and I get to keep my view :D

I hate hunters hall, it's just too high and looks out if place. God can't imagine 3 together.. Thank god their plans have changed.
    Seamus, where are you living?

Which in your opinion is the travesty hunterswood or the impending semi ds??

Hunterswood. Rows of apartment balconies looking directly out onto Gunny Hill as the last line of ultra dense soulless accommodation before the green belt.

At least the semi d's will be kept to two stories, spaced wide enough to accomodate gardens, driveways, on street parking etc.

Yep thirty-somethings, married with kids.

But we wouldn't like it any other way.. Would we!!??

Hate homework.. I'd pay someone else to do it!! Forgetting (not) I'll be back in work in no time and I'll be paying Chuckleberries!! And wishing I was back here now. 😪

Hunterswood. Rows of apartment balconies looking directly out onto Gunny Hill as the last line of ultra dense soulless accommodation before the green belt.

At least the semi d's will be kept to two stories, spaced wide enough to accomodate gardens, driveways, on street parking etc.

Yep sounds a lot nicer..
    Ah ah hang on I'm living in one of those soulless accommodations.. Lol.. not taking offence at all.
    Wish I could keep the view and change the house!
    Now I'll be looking at houses with gardens taking my view.. Ah well.. Better start doing the lotto..

• Advertisement

Yep sounds a lot nicer..
    Ah ah hang on I'm living in one of those soulless accommodations.. Lol.. not taking offence at all.
    Wish I could keep the view and change the house!
    Now I'll be looking at houses with gardens taking my view.. Ah well.. Better start doing the lotto..

Sorry, I didn't mean to demean your current living space. I blame planners mostly.

I hate hunters hall, it's just too high and looks out if place.

Should never have been given planning permission. Its a blight on the landscape. Its hard to know who was thinking what although I suspect they were thinking "boomtime boomtime boomtime brown envelopes all the way, if we build it we will make a packet!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

Work started work in the unfinished section of dalriada this week. By "work" i mean that JCB's have been in and are making swift progress in knocking down all the half built houses inbetween Dalriada Court (off ballycullen road) and the rest (off stocking lane). Would be interested if anyone knew any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Sorry I know this thread is pretty old, but I just wanted to drag it up as I'm hoping to be looking soon and the houses/apartments up around Hunterswood look nice and within budget...

Just wondering what it's like up there these days? Still the same issues? How is it now for getting in and out of?
    Any general feedback on the area/properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

Also interested to see if there is much anti-social behaviour in the area?

Is there still hassle, as previously mentioned, from the halting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

vodkababy wrote: »
    Also interested to see if there is much anti-social behaviour in the area?

Is there still hassle, as previously mentioned, from the halting site?

Doesn't seem to be much activity on this thread unfortunately - but I have been googling and there's actually a message board/forum dedicated to neighbourhoods and areas. If you google Hunters Wood it should appear in the google list and you can click in and see what people are discussing there. Seems to be ongoing issues with gangs of teenagers hanging round and some other stuff (lots of cars broken into recently)...

I don't want to link directly to the other site but it's the same name as a well known Aussie tv show... ;) You could register on that site I'm sure and perhaps PM people to ask for thoughts...

I actually noticed one property advert recently list the management fees and they were over €2k (around 2.2 I think)!! That's the highest I've ever seen! Other places I've looked at are around €1,200 - 1,600...! It's putting me off a bit, combined with the other issues.

I sold up there a couple of months back. Any anti-social issues are way overplayed on the online forum :)

There is a traveller site on Daletree Avenue that's a constant eyesore, but is separate from Hunterswood by a fence. So the worst that may happen every couple of months is that a gang of traveller kids come over the fence and start causing hassle for other kids on the main green. Those travellers usually stick to causing trouble in Beechdale/Daletree. Reading back, my earlier posts on this actually are all still relevant.

Break-ins and car robberies are going on all across that section of South Dublin at the moment - anywhere along the M50 including Knocklyon, Ballinteer, Sandyford, Carrickmines, Foxrock, are all reporting similar issues with burglaries and opportunistic crimes.

The apartment block - that is the tall block and the row attached to it, is the same as any other apartment block in that you will have one or two unruly neighbours, especially in rented units. I've never seen anything intimidating though, once or twice a year someone would have a party that ends up with people on a balcony shouting out to their mates on the road at 3am.

Yes, management fees for the apartments are somewhat high, though it depends on the size of the unit you have. Houses are typically around €450/year. Duplexes were €950 when I moved out. The top-floor penthouse apartment (I think it's a 3-bed) was around €2,500, with the rest of the apartments somewhere between €1,500 and €2,100 depending on the location and number of beds. In the apartments you're primarily paying for lift upkeep, your block insurance and your car park gates, which were installed about 2 years ago.
    The original builder also never put in a sinking fund, so all of the units are currently paying a little over the odds for a couple of years to try and build one up.

We moved to get more space - we were within a fanny fart of buying a house on Hunter's Meadow, the only thing which held us back is the catchment area for schools. Otherwise we would have happily stayed in Hunterswood. A lot of residents up there actually move within the estate (from apartments/duplexes into houses), which is a good indicator of whether a place is nice to live.

Unfortunately over the Halloween weekend there was a bin fire at the apartment block which badly smoke damaged two of the apartments. This will probably cause the management fees for the apartments to go up again. The cause here was a bin that for some inexplicable reason had been left exposed/unlocked and set on fire by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Hi there
    This might sound odd but bear with me. Recently agreed to rent a house in hunters place. I forgot to take photos. Would anyone in hunters place help me out and take a pic of the ensuite shower cubicle

I've an elderly parent and think it's ok walk in style but want to be sure.

Hoping this works!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

I suppose it depends on whether the've re-done the bathroom or not.
    I remember those houses having shower trays like the one in pic 12 of this ad on daft though...
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballycullen/59-hunters-hall-hunters-place-hunterswood-ballycullen-dublin-1210481/#img=12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

thanks for that
    it didnt have that kind of tray. i remember that much!

Advertisement