Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for Mercury

Options
  • 29-07-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

I've got an interview coming up with Mercury and I'm just wondering if anyone has any info or advice?

I'm in phase 5 of my apprenticeship but haven't worked as an apprentice for 2 years.

Does anyone know what projects Mercury are currently working on and what's it like as an apprentice there?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bassey wrote: »
    I've got an interview coming up with Mercury and I'm just wondering if anyone has any info or advice?

I'm in phase 5 of my apprenticeship but haven't worked as an apprentice for 2 years.

Does anyone know what projects Mercury are currently working on and what's it like as an apprentice there?

Thanks

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They are in Intel as far as i know... They have a few jobs around that i have seen.... They are like any big contractor, your only a number whether your a sparks or an apprentice, your treated like dirt.... but you prob know that already....

They are indeed...bulding new Fab and also upgrading/rennovating some of the existing Fabs out there.

They sub out alot of their work/contracts nowadays

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    It has been necessary to edit and delete posts already.

Needless to say you should be careful what you post please about any named company.

Just to clarify, I was only looking for any facts about Mercury, with regard to current projects they are working on etc.

I've already heard plenty of opinions about Mercury and can make up my own mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Just to clarify, I was only looking for any facts about Mercury, with regard to current projects they are working on etc.

I've already heard plenty of opinions about Mercury and can make up my own mind.

not fully sure but think there doing the new hp factory in Galway, there like all major contractors they'll nearly always have some work but be willing to travel for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks

If you are successful it will probably be Intel. Not too bad a job to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You'll be well paid and learn plenty if in Intel.

Were you not with the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Mod Edit:
    Just removing this now. As discussed with the OP and 2011 he/she only wants info on the jobs they are working on, not what it is like to work for them or how well they pay etc.

Thanks for all the info.

@Superg yeah I was with ESB Networks, long story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mod Edit, removed due to ref to payments

superg wrote: »
    Never worked for them so just going by a lad I went to college with who was with mercury in Intel. He loved it and learned loads.Depends who you are learning from I suppose.

True and it also depends on the individual. Can't believe the amount of apprentices that have no interest and spend most of the day on their phones. Probably just applied to keep mammy happy.

Mercury also have a lot of work on the corrib pipeline in mayo, a new building for microsoft in clondalkin and also paypal in dundalk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Doodoo wrote: »
    True and it also depends on the individual. Can't believe the amount of apprentices that have no interest and spend most of the day on their phones.

Very true.

With regard to the quality of training, I firmly believe that you get out of it what you put in.

Anyway, did the interview, it seemed to go well. Just waiting to hear something back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you had interview, you will have a good chance of a start. Its not the worst job to be on anyway.

Just thought I'd update this. Got the call today to start in a week. Their recruitment seems to be going slow for anyone waiting to hear anything from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Do you know where you'll be based?

If it's still of interest I believe Mercury have quite a few guys out in Clondalkin for a very very large data centre there.

Not yet, waiting on the email with all the info. Clondalkin would be handy. Does anyone know if they still have a contract with Diageo? As I see diageo are advertising for apprentice sparks and fitters, I thought they were getting rid of all their in house lads.

wexie wrote: »
    Do you know where you'll be based?

If it's still of interest I believe Mercury have quite a few guys out in Clondalkin for a very very large data centre there.

The job in clondalkin is a new building for microsoft which I heard is mainly going to be subbed out. More than likely its a job in intel. They also have the kerry group job in naas but I think it will be after xmas before that starts.

Starting in Intel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Starting in Intel

Congrades

I think this thread has run its course.
    Best of luck in Intel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement