Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network media player

• 29-07-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    I have a Iomega screenplay pro 1tb currently as my networked media player.
    The media player itself(built in) is not great as every second file format you throw at it it doesn't recognise.
    I've the latest drivers on it but still no use really.
    It has the ability to be used as a mass USB storage device however and it's through the USB I play all my video.
    This works great on one tv but as its USB it's not accessible like this over the network.
    So it's great in that I can dump stuff onto it from a laptop anywhere in the house but when it comes to playback I've to go via USB which means the drive has to be local to the tv...
    So if I want to watch something upstairs at the moment that's on the Iomega I've to lug the Iomega upstairs....

Is there currently a "stand out" media player that is recognised for working well over networks??

Is there any cool hardware gizmos like wifi USB receivers that can access a remote drive.
    I'm open to options!!

Cheers
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bu11pup

I have three wdtv live players on my network and can't fault them.They have played every file I've thrown at them and have wifi built in.They also have a netflix app so they cover most of the basics.Bought mine in argos, think they still sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers
    I've ended up buying a xbmc player that can stream stuff off the home network.
    Works amazingly well but I've yet to try it on the iomega.

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

I've the screenplay media director...works fine off as a file directory drive but cant get TV (also on network) to see it...some technical papers say to active DLNS for each of the files but cant get into the media player home page to do so.

Works fine when connected directly via HDMI...

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Is there currently a "stand out" media player that is recognised for working well over networks??QUOTE]

What type of network, cabled or Wireless?

I have a centralised NAS with all my media, this is accessed over a 1Gb network. I also have a Popcorn Hour A400 and used to have a Mede8er 500x2. Both have/had no issue playing up to 20GB mkv files over the network, both have 1Gb ports. However, previous to this I had a WDLive (poor device IMO at the time, things could have changed though) and also still have a Mede8er 400 player of which both have 10/100Mb ports, and both have struggled with some MKV files over a certain size, particularly at audio intensive scenes. It amazes me that top end TV's to this day ship with a 10/100 port, including some of todays flagships! Processors come into also, but its the sum of all parts really. I like the Mede8er products, but the whole jukebox implementation is an ongoing manual process, but very easy.

Advertisement