Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake PC virus scam !!!

Options
  • 29-07-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just to warn people that the calls are doing the rounds again in the Sligo area. My parents just got a call to say they had a virus on the pc - he gave a name of Glenn Morris from Microsoft - their pc was going to die a horrible death if they didn't let them investigate the problem !! The usual scaremongering ! They had a Cork address and phone number 021-2340004 - thankfully they had the cop on to realise it was a scam but there was still a sense of maybe they should have listened to this guy cos they had a number and address in Cork. Rang the number and hung up when I heard the indian voice on the other end. Got a call back to my mobile within 3 mins of me making the call - threatened them with the guards and called them scammers !! They didn't even bother denying it and hung up !! There are people out there who are going to fall for this - please warn anyone you feel are vulnerable about this urgently !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Yeah them idiots call on our landline once a month. Thats why we always added into our contacts as 'unavailable'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Had them before, and 'Eircom' too. I usually ask them to hold on a moment and leave the phone off the hook til they hang up. They usually ring in the weeks beforehand, to check your number works (they presumably try random combinations) - you answer the phone, there is a silence, a click and they hang up. It's a pain in the you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Have a read of this thread over on the computer forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564
    Warning: It's a long thread, but some brilliant replies!

Advertisement