Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How and when did you tell at work?

• 29-07-2013 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello,

I would like some opinions please :)
    I am 14 weeks pregnant. I would like to tell at work. How do I tell? I am thinking of only telling the manager and HR. Should I ask for one on one with manager first then HR or should I email with the news?

I think one on one is good and personal and professional.
    Havent done this before, so should I just blurt out.. I AM PREGNANT!!! and meeting is done :D
    Would Monday be good? I know people are still getting in the work mode and might not be in best of the modds, so should I wait till Friday?

I know silly questions, but would like to know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I work in a dangerous environment, so I told my boss a few days after I found out I was pregnant, in order that I could be risk assessed and moved to a safer area immediately. I just ask to speak to him informally, and said straight out, " I've a bit of news, I've just found out I'm pregnant - I wanted to let you know straight away to give you the opportunity to move me etc." He then informed his superior a few weeks later. I haven't officially informed HR yet - doing that this week (my HR dept requires a doctors cert stating I'm pregnant so getting that today) I would go with informing your manager first, face-to-face as a courtesy and then informing HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Same as above, had to change duties when pregnant. Too many chemicals here that are unsafe for fetus.

I told Health and Safety person the day I got my positive test. Booked a meeting with manager the next day, as had to arrange other people to take some of my tasks and be swapped onto other projects.

You need to tell them you are expecting, when your due date is, and if you need an assessment of working conditions for pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you very much Nikpmup and pwurple... Very helpful indeed. Appreciate your prompt replies as well :) It helps me to break the news now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

I ended up telling my boss when I was 7 weeks, but only because I was sent on a work trip and they wanted a very tight schedule which, in my first-trimester-tiredness, I wasn't able for. So I spilled the beans, and asked him to keep quiet if possible until I was further along. He had to tell HR, which was fine, but left the telling of everyone else up to me entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I waited until after my scan, and then just asked my manager for a 1 on 1.

Said, I'm having a baby, 16 weeks gone. He was very excited which was nice.

Then he said he'll contact HR and facilities know (for maternity info and risk assessments), and asked me to let him know when its common knowledge as until that point he wouldn't mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I told my manager yesterday.. phew... it was easier than i expected :D He will now contact HR and there will then be meeting with them as they would need letter confirming it and my leaves will be discussed and details i would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Nothing to add but congratulations!

Advertisement