Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Sleepers - Chainsaw

• 29-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got a couple of sleepers from local hardware (so not the totally authentic kind) to make a raised bed. Need to cut them to size, but using my saw this would probably take me an eternity just to make one cutting!

Can borrow a chainsaw from the Dad, but wanted some tips on how to get the cleanest cut using it?

Will have to do a couple of angle cuts also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I would imagine something like an electric saw would be better. Would a chainsaw not make too rough and ragged a cut?
    I had to do the same only last week and used my reciprocating saw. Did the job, quick and nice and neat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi,

Got a couple of sleepers from local hardware (so not the totally authentic kind) to make a raised bed. Need to cut them to size, but using my saw this would probably take me an eternity just to make one cutting!

Can borrow a chainsaw from the Dad, but wanted some tips on how to get the cleanest cut using it?

Will have to do a couple of angle cuts also.

Thanks

An electric sabre saw or a well/sharp toothed hand saw will cut those PT sleepers in no time at all.

Take your time and dont force the saw to cut.....let the saw do the work,and you will be grand.:)

You can also use a cross cut mitre saw aswell...if you have one to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

paddy147 wrote: »
    An electric sabre saw or a well/sharp toothed hand saw will cut those PT sleepers in no time at all.

Take your time and dont force the saw to cut.....let the saw do the work,and you will be grand.:)

You can also use a cross cut mitre saw aswell...if you have one to hand.

Thanks, only have a saw and a chainsaw, nothing in between!!

Tried with the saw yesterday and it kept getting stuck. Started at the corners though, maybe I should have just started at the top of the sleeper and go that way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was cutting sleepers with a chain saw yesterday.

No problems take your time. Its a skilled instrument if you know what you are doing. Take your time and be careful with it.

Thanks, only have a saw and a chainsaw, nothing in between!!

Tried with the saw yesterday and it kept getting stuck. Started at the corners though, maybe I should have just started at the top of the sleeper and go that way ?

A propper good sharp hand saw will go through them with no problem.

Take your time and dont force the saw or bend it as you are cutting into the sleeper...thats how its gets stuck.

If you are going to use a chainsaw,then you will need to be wearing chainsaw chaps,boots,full face guard/ear protection and chainsaw gloves too.;)

A sabre saw or cross cut mitre saw will do a good job too...again let the saw do the work and relax while cutting into the wood...dont force the saw blade to do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You can pick up a decent hand saw for under 20 euro that will go through them like butter. Sounds like you need a new one so maybe invest?

redser7 wrote: »
    You can pick up a decent hand saw for under 20 euro that will go through them like butter. Sounds like you need a new one so maybe invest?

Yep,any builders providers or diy store will sell you a good one for well under 20 bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

i reckon that photo is staged paddy,i think u done it with a powered saw and u created the little scene with the hand saw just to prove a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If you have access to a chainsaw, and are competent using it, then it's the quickest.

If it is sharpened it will leave a clean straight cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I recently cut a pile of sleepers, mitre saw was the quickest of all the options, you had to cut, flip and cut the other side but it only took seconds - great job.

30 quid for the day & you'll be laughing... http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=128&number=533

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a chainsaw will be fine, but make sure there's no nails within the wood otherwise you'll make sh!t of the chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

yep, chainsaw is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Thanks for all the advice.

Think I'm just going to go with the chainsaw this evening (weather permitting).

For the cleanest cut, I just take it nice and slow and don't go in at the angle? (ie I just align the saw with the parallel to the top of the sleeper and cut through slowly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for all the advice.

Think I'm just going to go with the chainsaw this evening (weather permitting).

For the cleanest cut, I just take it nice and slow and don't go in at the angle? (ie I just align the saw with the parallel to the top of the sleeper and cut through slowly)

For the cleanest cut the chain must be sharp.

And if it is sharp, it will cut down through the wood without any need for you to push it through.

Also, do be mindful of fryups advice about nails in the timber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

lads, what type of wood are we referring to here?

thinking of getting Azobe sleepers and plan to cut each sleeper into 3 pieces, would this be a challenge or should i go with oak?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

mr lee wrote: »
    i reckon that photo is staged paddy,i think u done it with a powered saw and u created the little scene with the hand saw just to prove a point

also where's all the sawdust that would be off a big cut like that using a handsaw.......;)

Advertisement