Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobster pot.

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I'm thinking of setting a lobster pot in kilkee bay, co.clare. Ill be only setting one for my own personal use but the problem I have is will the local fisherman take offence to this and damage or take my pot? The pot will be about 40 euro so is it worth doing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sussex wrote: »
    Hi I'm thinking of setting a lobster pot in kilkee bay, co.clare. Ill be only setting one for my own personal use but the problem I have is will the local fisherman take offence to this and damage or take my pot? The pot will be about 40 euro so is it worth doing?

Thanks

Can't see why not, the Fishermen don't own the sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks

Some interesting reading on the subject.

If you set 4 or more,then you may need a licence....but maybe the law has changed since.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22277

http://www.inshore-ireland.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=131

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can't see why not, the Fishermen don't own the sea.
    You might want to tell them that

.red. wrote: »

Ever watch Mythbusters V Deadliest Catch???:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Thanks

In my experience you would be best to go and talk to the local pot men first. Otherwise they will likely have an issue with it. They tend to.

We set some off a pier to collect shore crab for wrasse bait - spring loaded collapsible type. Retrieved them to find them cut :mad:. Though it might have been conger but the cage wasnt bent and the cuts were in straight lines.

• Advertisement

tin79 wrote: »
    In my experience you would be best to go and talk to the local pot men first. Otherwise they will likely have an issue with it. They tend to.

We set some off a pier to collect shore crab for wrasse bait - spring loaded collapsible type. Retrieved them to find them cut :mad:. Though it might have been conger but the cage wasnt bent and the cuts were in straight lines.

You never know...:pac:

My money would be on human intervention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

.red. wrote: »

They damage it it's a criminal offence. simples

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Still down forty sheets. Worth a day in court...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yes, but there's one small problem. Who damaged it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

really sick of peoply coming on various forums and making fisherman out to be some sort of monsters.i have never heard of any of them claiming to own the sea and in my area they would be the first ones to give advise to a recreational angler.regarding your pot there is no limit to the amount of pots you can fish providing the catch is for YOUR PERSONL USE ONLY. what really pi...es off the law bideing commercial guys is pleasure boats and non regisrered boats fishing loads of gear and selling for cash .i would bet if you approach the local guys and explain yourself they will point you in right direction
    regarding the pots being cut off i would say more than likely it was another bait collector doing the damage or if it was a commercial guy it would be because of the danger of sucking the gear into a propellar if it was hanging from a pier wall

• Advertisement

Its not simples at all. Try telling that to all the ciminals in Ireland.

Can you prove who it was, can you prove it wasnt swept away by the sea, can you prove a boat prop didnt run over the rope, did you see the person removing it, can you identify the person who removed it, will the local gardai care?

Fair play if you can answer yes to every single one of those. If you cant then its a hole in your pocket.

really sick of peoply coming on various forums and making fisherman out to be some sort of monsters.i have never heard of any of them claiming to own the sea and in my area they would be the first ones to give advise to a recreational angler.regarding your pot there is no limit to the amount of pots you can fish providing the catch is for YOUR PERSONL USE ONLY. what really pi...es off the law bideing commercial guys is pleasure boats and non regisrered boats fishing loads of gear and selling for cash .i would bet if you approach the local guys and explain yourself they will point you in right direction
    regarding the pots being cut off i would say more than likely it was another bait collector doing the damage or if it was a commercial guy it would be because of the danger of sucking the gear into a propellar if it was hanging from a pier wall

I dont see anyone calling them monsters. And are you sure about the number of pots for personal use? Last time I read the legislation there was a limit of 4.

I agree it could have been another bait collector but these were not hung off the pier wall they were set with buoys off the pier (by boat out in our little inflatable) away from the slip. So someone would have had to be in a boat to pull them up.

i nevers said they called them monsters what i said was they made them out to be monsters, a slight difference and also, and i never said it was this forum.
    anyway, if you are putting pots near a slip just make sure buoys are visable and not little milk cartons one of which i had the pleasure of getting in the prop of a boat quickly followed by rope and pot.if you want to catch wrasse try hook head in sunny south east place is full of em and there is a guy in wexford will supply all the green crab you want

oh one other thing. local fisherie officer told me about the the pots and he cannot believe it himself nothing they can do unless the person is caught selling catch. there is a limit of about 4 or 5 in the uk and north of ireland

i nevers said they called them monsters what i said was they made them out to be monsters, a slight difference and also, and i never said it was this forum.
    anyway, if you are putting pots near a slip just make sure buoys are visable and not little milk cartons one of which i had the pleasure of getting in the prop of a boat quickly followed by rope and pot.if you want to catch wrasse try hook head in sunny south east place is full of em and there is a guy in wexford will supply all the green crab you want

Called them monsters, made them out to be monsters - hardly a world of difference. Plus you came on this forum on a thread about the very subject so its hardly a stretch to assume you might be referencing this one.

The buoys were well visible, bright two foot diameter. Easily visible.

Thanks for the tip on hook head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boathouse

Hi i am a fisherman from kilkee . we dont own the sea.and never said we did. no one will ever stop u putting out pots in kilkee.but if they go missing dont blame the fishermen .i have often lost 200 pots in one night.rough sea thats the look off it .u should ask the fishermen their for some advice. u could put a pot out and the rope could tu short and it goes down or the rope is tu long and some one gets propt and cuts the rope .who du u blame then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I asked a local fisherman about this very subject and his reply was "no need to buy a pot, ive plenty going spare"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Thanks

Before you set your pot make sure you understand the regulations about v notched , berried and size limits.

Advertisement