Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY screen repair

• 29-07-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Got screen fixed a month ago... 3 rd time .. Went to the expense of an armour hard plastic cover to protect it .. Dropped last evening glass cracked again.

This will definitely be my last iPhone!
    Missus has a samsung you can drop it all over the place with no bother

Anyone ever try the DIY kit to replace the screen small crack two places ... Are they reliable !?
    Thks
    Paddy

Pic of crack didn't come out in screenshot !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You need to take a photo of your screen with another camera or phone. Taking a screenshot wont show the crack. :-)

And I have owned 5 iphones over the last 6 years or so and never cracked the screen yet. Are you a bit clumsy in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Harcrid wrote: »
    You need to take a photo of your screen with another camera or phone. Taking a screenshot wont show the crack. :-)

And I have owned 5 iphones over the last 6 years or so and never cracked the screen yet. Are you a bit clumsy in general?

Fair play to you . More like you and hundreds of businesses would go bust in the morning ! In the repair iphone iPad glass repair game!
    No wouldn't say clumsy in general.
    I would compare it to say , dropping a set of car keys or similar .. Once or twice a year ... But replace the keys with a fragile object ! As the iPhone screen appears to be ...interested to hear if you have anything useful to add to the topic as well by the way.

Will take your advice re photo screen and do it later .. You lucky iPhone owner you lol 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Who repaired it each time? Unless it was apple there's no point complaining about the subsequent repairs cos no one uses apple supplied screens

guil wrote: »
    Who repaired it each time? Unless it was apple there's no point complaining about the subsequent repairs cos no one uses apple supplied screens

Ok Thks for that.... I'm fairly sure that it wasn't an apple screen ...... That makes sense ... It probably was an inferior glass .,. Tho the first time it broke it was the original glass that came with the new phone. Something to think about .. Many thanks

Paddy

Ok Thks for that.... I'm fairly sure that it wasn't an apple screen ...... That makes sense ... It probably was an inferior glass .,. Tho the first time it broke it was the original glass that came with the new phone. Something to think about .. Many thanks

Paddy

It can break at any height though. when i had an iphone 4 i dropped it at least 8 foot fr a truck window and it didn't break. Another time I dropped it less than 2 foot out a door and it shattered the whole screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Maybe I have been lucky alright. Have dropped it a few times but luckily never managed to smash it. Wasnt trying to be arsey by the way in case you thought I was. I thought my tip about taking the photo of the screen was useful info to add to the topic but I guess not.

guil wrote: »

Complained to repairer screens used are apple approved. Reputable shop . Offered to replace it for 49 goodwill usually 65

Harcrid wrote: »
    Maybe I have been lucky alright. Have dropped it a few times but luckily never managed to smash it. Wasnt trying to be arsey by the way in case you thought I was. I thought my tip about taking the photo of the screen was useful info to add to the topic but I guess not.

No reference to DIY screen in your post - subject of my post. I certainly would find it a bit distasteful if some one made your comment in company ..... You don't know if people may have medical issues and indeed may be " clumsy " as you say.
    Refer... Recent. Sad news story ... Rte commentator ... . Appreciated your advice re screen shot - in previous post.

X Appreciate your pm re this...thks

Complained to repairer screens used are apple approved. Reputable shop . Offered to replace it for 49 goodwill usually 65

Apple approved my arse. There is NO authorised repair centres for the iPhone in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i attempted to repair my iphone 4s screen today. the screen works, getting signal and wifi
    the problem is the home button. its stuck in.
    i repaired an iphone 4s screen before for my sister and everything went to plan.
    i think the screen is a millimeter thicker so when i pushed the home button it sank in.
    i bought it off ebay and the seller claimed it was original parts and sold 80 with 100 % positive feedback.
    anyone got any ideas to solve my problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

i attempted to repair my iphone 4s screen today. the screen works, getting signal and wifi
    the problem is the home button. its stuck in.
    i repaired an iphone 4s screen before for my sister and everything went to plan.
    i think the screen is a millimeter thicker so when i pushed the home button it sank in.
    i bought it off ebay and the seller claimed it was original parts and sold 80 with 100 % positive feedback.
    anyone got any ideas to solve my problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thks for this .. How much was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

i dropped my iphone not long after i got it. Gutted. Stright onto the cement. It went into a million pieces. I bought one of the screens of ebay for 35 and bought a pentalobe screwdriver and downloaded the screw mat off the internet, place myself in a room for 1 hour and put it on. No issues it all went back on no problems but i took my time. The only thing i would say is that the screen didnt feel the same as before as to swiping and responsiveness.
    I just dropped it again and cracked it. I had it for about 1.5 years between the 2. Have to do it all over again :p

thks I think 49 e is not such a bad deal after reading this cheers

Advertisement