Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moka Pot Espresso vs regular

Options
  • 29-07-2013 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

I need help solving an argument :)

My housemate and I are major fans of a little moka pot. It's one of those 3-cup ones, but we usually just use it for 1, except my housemate makes two 3-cup pots for his coffee. I've kinda said "woah that's a whole lot of coffee" and his response is "it's not 6 espressos, it's just coffee"

Now, my understanding is that espresso is the brewing process and how fine the grind is. Powdery so steam can go through. Does it have anything to do with the strength?

He uses a strong organic coffee. The other housemate has a tin with "espresso" written under the brand name, but to me the taste seems quite similar.

Is there anything in this "but it's not espresso" argument, or are we just having the equivalent of triple espressos each time? :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

If it helps its all just ground coffee beans - albeit different types of beans and probably the roasting profile is different.

You may also find the grind size is different between the two packets meaning you may be putting more of one coffee in versus the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

donnacha wrote: »
    If it helps its all just ground coffee beans - albeit different types of beans and probably the roasting profile is different.

You may also find the grind size is different between the two packets meaning you may be putting more of one coffee in versus the other.

So espresso isn't a stronger type of coffee? Innnnteresting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

FewFew wrote: »

Either way - that's too much coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYqRKQF4H4

That shi*t causes serious delirium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's like thinking a shot of spirit automatically has more alcohol than a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

The strongest brewed coffee from a caffeine perspective is French press or cafetiere. This is due to the time the coffee grind spends with the water.
    After that would be drip and the espresso (equal to a cup of teas worth afaik).

So.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Doodee wrote: »
    The strongest brewed coffee from a caffeine perspective is French press or cafetiere. This is due to the time the coffee grind spends with the water.
    After that would be drip and the espresso (equal to a cup of teas worth afaik).

So.....

So the 6 cupper explains his insomnia :pac:

Thanks for the replies, gang :)

Advertisement