Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian Benitez passes away

• 29-07-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

Ecuador striker Christian "Chucho" Benitez has passed away after complications relating to appendicitis.
    Ecuador striker Christian Benitez, also known as "Chucho", has passed away this morning, his agent and the national team co-ordinator have confirmed.
    The 27-year-old's sad death is a huge shock, and has come about after complications relating to appendicitis, according to his father-in-law. The disease then became peritonitis before leading to respiratory arrest.
    Benitez played for El Nacional and Santos Laguna in his career before a season on loan at Birmingham City in the Premier League, before returning to Mexico with Club America before joining El Jaish in the Qatari league. He also played at the 2006 World Cup for his country, picking up 58 caps in his career.
    The highly-talented striker's surprise death will come as a huge blow to football. Antonio Valencia, a close friend of the striker, took to Twitter earlier to tweet his condolences to his family and mourn his death as reports began to filter through, which were confirmed by the player's club, agent, and father-in-law.

Link.

Played with Birmingham for a while. Only 27, tragic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's horrible.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Scored goals at a very good clip in South American football. Sounds like a very unfortunate and tragic passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Awful news. RIP Chucho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That news comes as a massive shock. Very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

The **** :( Thought he was a cracking player during his stint in the premier league. I remember him well. Very upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Tragic news alright, always a shame when you hear of guys dying so young.

He was only being linked to Spurs and Swansea earlier on this month: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfer-news-christian-benitez-2025169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Terrible news to hear. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

BBC Sport says died in a car crash. Thats a pretty loose complication to link with his appendicitis.

Unless it burst whilst he was driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

think he had an excellent first season? R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oat23 wrote: »

"My two loves, and I, with my birthday cake", pictured with his 2 kids

:(

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Terrible news, RIP.

Oat23 wrote: »

Seeing that just gave me a big sinking feeling in my stomach. That's really heartbreaking. Poor kids. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Such awful news.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Neil3030 wrote: »
    "My two loves, and I, with my birthday cake", pictured with his 2 kids

:(

RIP

That is heartbreaking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Jeez.....R.I.P Chucho:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He scored a cracking goal at anfield one year didnt he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

niallo27 wrote: »

No, that was Jerome.

Saw Benitez playing for Birmingham against Chelsea at St Andrews in 09. He was a very talented player(had a goal wrongly disallowed that day). Such a shame to lose someone so young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Brilliant player shame McLesh would not play him RIP.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Really sad news. As a football, he had a lot of attributes you'd want in a forward. I remember Dortmund being heavily linked with him a few years ago too.
    niallo27 wrote: »

You're thinking of Cameron Jerome's goal, Chucho did score their opener that day though. A close range header I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Birmingham City hero, played an integral role in our unbeaten run in 2009/2010 season. Had pace and power, was only missing his impressive goal scoring ability that he demonstrated so well in Central and South America.

Rest in Peace Chucho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Tragic storey

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It was only a few weeks ago I was listening to Tim Vickery talking about him and how he was doing so well in South America. I think there were rumours linking him to clubs in Europe before his recent move to Qatar.

Very sad news to hear.

Advertisement