Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lift Emergency Phone Landline fees

Options
  • 29-07-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

My apartment complex is currently paying around €26 per month for 4 emergency phone landlines in 4 lifts.

Seems a lot of waste for phones that are probably used twice per year.

Has anyone had any experience of an alternative solution that might negate/reduce the landline fee?

I was thinking that maybe all 4 lifts could be joined to a single line.
    Another option might be to use the already existing landline to install some sort of communal broadband system.
    So far Google has yielded nothing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dubrov wrote: »
    My apartment complex is currently paying around €26 per month for 4 emergency phone landlines in 4 lifts.

Seems a lot of waste for phones that are probably used twice per year.

Has anyone had any experience of an alternative solution that might negate/reduce the landline fee?

I was thinking that maybe all 4 lifts could be joined to a single line.
    Another option might be to use the already existing landline to install some sort of communal broadband system.
    So far Google has yielded nothing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

You might find that the seperate lines for each lift is mandated by the maintaince company.

Any solution you come up with will need to be agreed with them./

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You might find that the seperate lines for each lift is mandated by the maintaince company.

Any solution you come up with will need to be agreed with them./

... and your insurance company.

I don't think that broadband or mobile based solutions are regarded as adequate for public-safety situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Joining the phones creates 1 single point of failure for all four lifts, rather then 1 point of failure for a single lift. I find it odd you don't have backup lines for each lift too.

Individual numbers are also used to identify which lift there is a issue with on site, to avoid confusion and aid emergency services if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Joining the phones creates 1 single point of failure for all four lifts, rather then 1 point of failure for a single lift. I find it odd you don't have backup lines for each lift too.

Individual numbers are also used to identify which lift there is a issue with on site, to avoid confusion and aid emergency services if needed.

I don't think one line vs 4 separate lines really improves safety. Knowing that the phones in the other lifts are working isn't really going to help you if you are stuck in a lift where the phone was out. The same two lines to all lifts would be safer and cost less.

Anyone know what thger minimum requirements are?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dubrov wrote: »
    I don't think one line vs 4 separate lines really improves safety. Knowing that the phones in the other lifts are working isn't really going to help you if you are stuck in a lift where the phone was out. The same two lines to all lifts would be safer and cost less.

Anyone know what thger minimum requirements are?

The last place I worked had two lines per set of joined lifts(ie right beside each other). One primary and one backup, had to be hard wired PSTN lines. Dictated by the insurance company.

Also, the risk of a non functioning alarm is much lower for separate lines during a emergency between checks, as it effects only a single unit out of four.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comments.
    he risk of a non functioning alarm is much lower for separate lines during a emergency between checks, as it effects only a single unit out of four.

I'd argue the risk is the same but would mean all lifts are out.
    I also think the chances of a fault being spotted by maintenance crews would be much higher if a single line fed 4 lifts

Sounds like the insurance companies have their own requirements which I'll have a look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

the other option is to have a mobile based system. This has a large up front cost (around €500 per lift) but vastly cheaper running costs. It has a battery like a mobile so in the event of power loss a call can be made like a land line. All the lift manufacturers I have spoken to offer a GSM as well as a hard line option which typically you get through Eircom or another provider.

I don't believe there are any building regulation safety requirements that require a hard line only or a back up line but some building owners may require it above and beyond the minimum regulations.

Thanks Lantus.

I'll explore the mobile option with the lift maintenance company.

I don't mind the upfront cost as long as there are pretty good savings in the long run

Advertisement