Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technicolor TC7200 Vs Cisco EPC3925 on UPC

• 29-07-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how these two compare. I'm on the 150MB UPC package with the Cisco and its a POS. Wireless drops regularly for no reason. Can be in the same room at the time using laptops, phones, tablets. The only solution is to reboot the device:mad: This is becoming a real pain and I'm considering contacting UPC and asking for a replacement Technicolor TC7200.

What are my chances of getting one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

livEwirE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering how these two compare. I'm on the 150MB UPC package with the Cisco and its a POS. Wireless drops regularly for no reason. Can be in the same room at the time using laptops, phones, tablets. The only solution is to reboot the device:mad: This is becoming a real pain and I'm considering contacting UPC and asking for a replacement Technicolor TC7200.

What are my chances of getting one?

Do not get the TC7200,its worse :(

Put the cisco into bridge/modem mode and buy yourself a decent wireless router :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

wiz569 wrote: »
    Do not get the TC7200,its worse :(

Put the cisco into bridge/modem mode and buy yourself a decent wireless router :)

I was hoping to not have to shell out for a descent router just because UPC can't be bothered to provide me with one in the first place:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

livEwirE wrote: »
    I was hoping to not have to shell out for a descent router just because UPC can't be bothered to provide me with one in the first place:eek:

I can completely understand that, however, I would kill for bridge mode on this TC7200 POS grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

I've a Technicolor TC7200 from UPC still unopened in a box (as it didn't have bridge mode). If you want to do swapsies with your cisco, give me a shout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@livewire

Only way I believe to get the high end speeds is to put your 3925 into Bridge Mode and invest in decent router.
    The TC7200 may support the high speeds, but it does not have an option to bridge, and lacks the configuration options you probably would want. Maybe in the future UPC might upgrade the firmware and enable bridge mode, but for the moment hold onto your 3925 - of course you could always give it to me to mind for you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Twiki wrote: »
    I've a Technicolor TC7200 from UPC still unopened in a box (as it didn't have bridge mode). If you want to do swapsies with your cisco, give me a shout!
    @livewire

Only way I believe to get the high end speeds is to put your 3925 into Bridge Mode and invest in decent router.
    The TC7200 may support the high speeds, but it does not have an option to bridge, and lacks the configuration options you probably would want. Maybe in the future UPC might upgrade the firmware and enable bridge mode, but for the moment hold onto your 3925 - of course you could always give it to me to mind for you:D

These are provisioned cable routers, they wont work for anyone else! Dont bother. And its UPCs property so they can ask for it back at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

ED E wrote: »
    These are provisioned cable routers, they wont work for anyone else! Dont bother. And its UPCs property so they can ask for it back at any time.

Hi, I have a technicolor and was thinking of buying a 3925, when you say provisioned, does that mean no other router will work? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a technicolor and was thinking of buying a 3925, when you say provisioned, does that mean no other router will work? Thanks.

Yes and no....
    The router is connecting directly to UPC's network, uses no login/password like eircom type connections, and UPC control access by mac address ie they provision it.
    You can get your hands on an alternate doscis3 router that will technically work, but you will have to convince UPC to enable them it, otherwise its wasted money.
    I think about a year ago (well before tc7200), there was 1 poster around here who claimed UPC did provision his own router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It seems only business customers can get it done. If you want a 3925, you have to get UPC to send it to you(which they likely wont).

Advertisement