Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Reader Software

Options
  • 29-07-2013 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have an adult friend who cannot read. He is self-employed and has managed fine so far. He now needs to purchase a computer system, a laptop and software.

I had a quick look on Google and see that there is software availabe that claims to read what is on screen. Has anybody ever used any of this type of software? What did you use and would you recommend it?

Much appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I haven't used this type of software. There are numerous ones he could try, and some are free. Some are just web browser readers whilst other read almost anything on-screen. It's hard to find software that people recommend, but one place to start is a list on Wikipedia.

Here is another site that briefly introduces 10 free Screen Reader programs. The first program on the list is "NVDA", which is supposed to read whatever the cursor hovers over in Windows. In the end, different programs are probably suited to different tasks. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

The new Imacs have a fantastic accesabiltiy feature built in which basicaly will read aloud everything the mouse does on the screen,,,

Advertisement