Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Club in Buenos Aires

• 29-07-2013 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

On another forum based over here I noticed a thread asking for volunteers, regardless of ability, to come along and make up the numbers for an Ireland vs Argentina game.

I went along to discover the Hurling Club of Buenos Aires, although now a hockey and rugby club, is currently attempting to revive the game in Argentina. Up until the 1940s the club had been fairly active but had focused on other sports after problems importing the correct equipment to play. I would link the clubs blog here but I am not sure I am allowed or not as per the charter..mods?

A guy from Kilkenny living out there now is coaching the locals in order to send a team of Argentinian guys over to a Gathering event in Galway, an international hurling competition in September, all the players are former hockey and rugby player that the lad from Kilkenny has molded into a bunch of hurlers.

Had never played at all myself back home, neither hurling nor football, but will go back to the club for the training and a bit of craic. Played about 5 to 10 minutes of the game (was a shortened game, 11 a side) and thoroughly enjoyed it despite being badly out of shape and at the wrong end of my 30s. I have to recognise the efforts of the GAA here who shipped out all the equipment required to get the lads started.

Hope it's grand to post this here in order to bring your attention to the ongoing attempt to revive the game in Argentina, and to the interesting history of the Hurling Club here. We had someone from the embassy over and a few beers with the lads after. A good day's craic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

Heading over to Argentina in a few days myself and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you.. never played at club level.. say I'd be a junior C candidate, but am interested in checking out the club in BA. Did you join it and play a bit? I saw a few things about that trip to Ireland and a video.. the locals picked it up well enough! When you think of how different it must be for them being introduced to hurling. Are you still over there? Do you have any info on it.. still going, contact or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

• Registered Users Posts: 35 larry_o

Thanks bruschi. I had found that page, sent a pm, but no reply yet unfortunately. I'll try their twitter..

Advertisement