Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDA stores suspend all Wii U products effective immediately

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very much doubt the WiiU is going to get anymore sales just by including a season pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I very much doubt the WiiU is going to get anymore sales just by including a season pass.

I'm just thinking it's more of an incentive, instead of "here's a game that's already on the consoles you own, but with missing features"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Particularly with studios not putting multiplayer in some games. Just cut the price already Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Price cut
    5-10 solid games
    Push the marketing/advertising a bit more
    ???
    Profit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Price cut....the system is not worth 350 Euro...especially with the next gen upcoming.
    250 tops....199.99 would be better.

• Advertisement

Price cut....the system is not worth 350 Euro...especially with the next gen upcoming.
    250 tops....199.99 would be better.

Yeah, €199 would be an attractive price for the Wii U. It's not only the price though, who's gonna buy it if there's nothing to actually play on it? It needs to go hand in hand, with an actual reason to own one. I know Pikmin is doing well, a few more big/decent games like that & a price cut, & I think it'd be on its way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

199eu for premium and they got a sale from me. It will do nicely next to my ps4 and PC. There would be enough games for me even now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The Wii was an anomaly that broke mainstream consciousness and that isn't likely to happen too often. Nintendo hardware is bought by Nintendo fans. And these fans want games. A 2-d rehash of a DS Mario wasn't enough of a seller.

I'm a massive Nintendo fan. I've a snes, 64, cube, Gameboy, DS, DSLite and Wii....and they were all bought on launch. But some of them had poor launch windows and I'm kind of sick of that to be honest. I haven't bought a Wii U because there isn't enough of a draw to.

You sell a console on games. You launch with a new Mario game, new Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid and perhaps a new IP. Stagger the releases a month or two at a time but make sure they are all done for launch and the fans will flock to the console.

But the Wii U had none of that. I love wind waker. It's a cult classic but a HD remake of a game that didn't sell well and wasn't well received by the fans isn't going to move units.....and they didn't even have it in the launch window. It's coming a year after launch. Pikmin3 was supposed to be a launch title and wound up being nine months late! Frankly, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Nintendo botched this badly. The Wii U may not recover. Nintendo will be fine but this console may be dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah it's just dead in the water for now but as soon as proper sequel Zelda and proper 3D Mario comes out it'll bounce back. Since the WiiU is cheap to produce they're not incurring massive debts.

That said its shocking how poor Nintendo have handled the WiiU. After the generation they've had with the Wii and the DS, It's like hearing Apple marketing something badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Been watching some videos of that fan made 3D pokemon game, that would sell consoles to the general public more so than a new zelda or mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Varik wrote: »
    Been watching some videos of that fan made 3D pokemon game, that would sell consoles to the general public more so than a new zelda or mario.

Not really. Thats very badly made with a poor battle system./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

just noticed the wii u is down to $199 for the basic set at walmart now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ah it's just dead in the water for now but as soon as proper sequel Zelda and proper 3D Mario comes out it'll bounce back. Since the WiiU is cheap to produce they're not incurring massive debts.

That said its shocking how poor Nintendo have handled the WiiU. After the generation they've had with the Wii and the DS, It's like hearing Apple marketing something badly.

The 3DS is completely dominant over the Vita too, despite being by far an inferior piece of hardware. It's all about games really. The 3DS has games, the Vita doesn't. The Wii U has nothing either.

Nintendo seems to have by far the worst relationship with third parties and they released the console with most of their first parties missing.

I really want a WiiU and have repeatedly threatened to buy one but common sense always prevails. There simply aren't enough titles on it to justify buying one and most of those that are on it are ports of older titles or generic tie ins. There are a few upcoming titles of interest but unless there is a price cut I cant see many people picking up the Wii U over the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Nintendo have so much potential with their IP's they have that it makes me sad how much they've messed up the WiiU.

They should never have rushed it, releasing a half assed underpowered console that just won't beable to compete with the PS4 and XB1. In a few years it'll probably be too weak to run the big multiplat titles fs.

With Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and everything inbetween... they have such a great lineup of exclusives. I'm not even a pokemon fan, but a proper 3D openworld styled RPG or MMO pokemon sounds amazing to me, especially with the WiiU controller. Its just disappointing how awful they've handled the console, too concerned about trying to get a headstart with console sales that they forgot they actually need games to sell the damn thing.

Magill wrote: »
    releasing a half assed underpowered console that just won't beable to compete with the PS4 and XB1

The Wii done ok against the 360 & PS3 though, outselling them both nearly twice over for a long time...& that was far inferior hardware wise.

Nintendo don't directly compete with the other big hitters, they offer something different...it's high time they kicked the Wii U into gear though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Wii done ok against the 360 & PS3 though, outselling them both nearly twice over for a long time...& that was far inferior hardware wise.

Nintendo don't directly compete with the other big hitters, they offer something different...it's high time they kicked the Wii U into gear though

Yeah but they tried to push the multiplatform titles when promoting the console so they obviously had a lot more expectations with the wii u. Now that a lot of game developers aren't publishing their multiplatform titles on the Wii u, they are left with a lack of quality games... i mean are there even more than 2 or 3 AAA games being released on Wii U before 2014 ?

I know the Wii outsold the other two in hardware sales but are there any actual game sales figures ? I'd be suprised if the wii u sold anything close to the other two in terms of game sales per console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

WE all wrote off the 3DS which is on track to being one of the best selling consoles of all time and the Vita is bouncing back as well so there's definitely the potential for the WiiU to start doing well. This XMas will be very important to the console but I still think it needs a price cut because as it stands just a few euros more will get you a PS4.

We wrote the 3ds off when it had no games as well as being priced too high. Since ten there has been a price drop and a rake of good games. The wiiU needs the same. A price drop without new titles won't shift units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EnterNow wrote: »

I would not put Wii as a good example. Wii is more of an anomaly then a rule. Yes it sold, but it was a novelty for casuals and most of wii's are dust magnets under the tellies. And no, I dont care it has 5 million Jrpgs and mario games, those are not for everyone.
    We all know that there are more ps3/xbox 360 fired up every say then Wii's in households.
    Wii U has no marketing for casuals which wii had. Newspapers/TV shows, which had nothing to do with gaming were talking only about wii. Non gamers were buying it as it was a cheap, fun, novelty thing.
    Wii U is going back in to console world for gamers. It will be hard to compete with ps4 and xbox one. Wii did not needed to compete with ps3/360, it had its own niche. So hardware was not an issue. Now with wii u it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not really. Thats very badly made with a poor battle system./

Can you do better.

It's a tiny team and it decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw the ad for Pikmin 3 and it doesn't do a good job. It's aimed more at people who have played the previous games and if you didn't know what it was it just looks like some cute game. And this was shown during Love/Hate. At least it's being advertised in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CastorTroy wrote: »
    if you didn't know what it was it just looks like some cute game

And therein lies the problem with modern gamers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This will start a domino effect.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Varik wrote: »
    Can you do better.

It's a tiny team and it decent.

No, but I'm not a game designer. Game freak can do better.

Advertisement