Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Accountant. . .

Options
  • 29-07-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Had accountant doing personal tax return for past few years as we rented our previous house. Has rarely offered any advice on entitlements etc, I always approched them asking 'why aren't we claiming this' etc.

Anyhow, last year they made a big mistake, told me I owed revenue about 2K at the time of return! I spent about 12 hrs agonising over the return and found a number of mistakes, omission of pre payment to revenue last year, and a few other biggies. Once I pointed these out, it was re-done correctly. Tried to approach them after that regarding fee, saying well, that was actually a bit of a mess and I'm doing a lot of work myself on it checking your work! So they lost the plot, said pay or don't, they don't care and won't pursue it. Come pick up your stuff. Long story short, been trying to contact them since to get our paperwork and being stonewalled.

What can I do? Any body to approach on this or is it just a case of paying them for it. I can't justifying paying them for the mess they made of it.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might want to make a complaint to their professional organisation, i.e. find out if they are ACCA, ACA, CIMA etc and contact that body for advice.

I would definitely withhold payment until you find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Oh, they're registered alright! But I wonder if I am wrong at the end of the day, because they did lodge the return and I haven't paid them. Really, it just got out of hand because I was asking for them to acknowledge they made a mistake and offer a reduced fee as a sign of good will but they lost the plot!! Said I don't want to work with you anymore and I won't be pursuing you for fee. Very very unprofessional!!

Anyhow, I have to do something cos I need those receipts etc and want to get this years return in. Should be fun trying to find another accountant :) Would do it myself if I could get my head around the paye stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

OP Are they part of a chain with a unit in Naas? My brother had a similar problem last year..he was thinking of changing this year but hes not sure how it impacts his returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Pixied wrote: »
    OP Are they part of a chain with a unit in Naas? My brother had a similar problem last year..he was thinking of changing this year but hes not sure how it impacts his returns.

No its not. Changing a/c should have no impact on returns as long as you get all your receipts etc back from original a/c. But I think they try to make it as awkward as possible!!!

I'm going to look into registered body and complaints procedure. My other issue is all this blew up about 10mths ago and I just haven't really chased it since, as wasn't on for the confrontation. Very silly of me :(

I'm really tempted to try to do it myself this year somehow, as from what I have seen so far, its money for peanuts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

They've said they won't charge you, and to come get your stuff. If you can spare a day, I'd send them a registered letter saying you'll be in on x day (give them 3-4 days after they receive the letter) at 9am to collect your paperwork. Bring a coffee/book/crossword, and be prepared to settle in politely and wait if the stuff isn't waiting for you when you arrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement