Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract/work hours issue

Options
  • 29-07-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

I've been working for a company for over a year now & was made 'permanent' in April. Up to April I was working from their office but now I've been put on the road based from home, covering a area. It's a service related job. I have a few issues though.

The work is extremely patchy & my hours are all over the place. During initial discussions my manager figured I'd have about 70% actual work & we'd make up the rest working remotely from home but this never came to happen. If I was still in the office this would be ok because there would be bits to do & I'd get paid. Now I don't. A few times I have been asked to use my holiday hours to make it up, can they do that?

My contract doesn't say anything about hours, minimum or otherwise. A quick Google says it should. I'm not sure how to approach this with my manager now. I feel I'm being taken for a ride because they only have to pay me for time I'm on the road & on customer sites. Lads doing the same work as me but from the office get paid for sitting around, although they rarely are, my point is that they always get at least 39 hours no matter what.

I turned down job in February ultimately to be closer to home but if I had taken that job I was going to be getting paid on a salary basis & was told if there was times I wasn't working that was their problem & I'd still get paid.

I only worked a little over 2 hours today & have no idea whats happening the rest of the week yet, probably nothing tomorrow at this stage. :mad:

Advertisement