Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bens resting place

• 29-07-2013 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Hi people

So short version of the story is my dog is dying, couple of days left in him, had him since I was 7, and I'm 22 now so it's a large part of me gone so to speak

Anywho, I wanted to bury him on a pet cemetery as I don't really have the space to bury him, so would anyone know of any of these going around? I can't seem to find any, or even an alternative?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

So sorry to hear about your loss, it's very hard :( I haven't heard of pet cemeteries but a lot of people go for the private cremation option, and you get the ashes back in a lovely box with whatever you want engraved on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

There is a pet cemetery in donadea forest park, co kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Firstly, my heart goes out to you, it's never easy losing a pet, it's hard when they die young, and even when they're older and you're 'prepared' for it, it's no easier.

Would you consider getting him cremated then you've always got his ashes? Or you could spread them on his favourite walk? Your vet should be able to arrange this for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

sabrina99 wrote: »
    There is a pet cemetery in donadea forest park, co kildare
    How would I go about getting in contact with whoever runs it?
    Firstly, my heart goes out to you, it's never easy losing a pet, it's hard when they die young, and even when they're older and you're 'prepared' for it, it's no easier.

Would you consider getting him cremated then you've always got his ashes? Or you could spread them on his favourite walk? Your vet should be able to arrange this for you.

The vet is sending us out something about it, but it's up the north so it's not very useful y'know?

Thanks everyone by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

My heart goes out to you, but what the others have said about getting your dog cremated and keeping his ashes is a very good point.

I had to let my dog go a few months ago, but we agreed with the vet that Molly would be sent for cremation. We were able to choose a box with an engraved plaque for her remains. It's absolutely gorgeous - not too big - and now I have her in the house with us all the time - it gives me great comfort :o

Please think about it and talk to your vet. They can arrange everything so you don't have to worry about it.

• Advertisement

Mollywolly wrote: »
    My heart goes out to you, but what the others have said about getting your dog cremated and keeping his ashes is a very good point.

I had to let my dog go a few months ago, but we agreed with the vet that Molly would be sent for cremation. We were able to choose a box with an engraved plaque for her remains. It's absolutely gorgeous - not too big - and now I have her in the house with us all the time - it gives me great comfort :o

Please think about it and talk to your vet. They can arrange everything so you don't have to worry about it.

I have considered it, although my mother is afraid that they won't treat his remains with dignity, so it's a bit of a problem

I have considered it, although my mother is afraid that they won't treat his remains with dignity, so it's a bit of a problem

I suppose that thought did cross my mind too, but my need to have Molly home with me made me go ahead with it. In all honesty, what with the shock and grief and everything, I think I blanked out what was happening at the crematorium in Co. Kerry.

In the end, I'm glad I made that decision, but it's not for everyone. Totally understand and don't envy you your predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So sorry to hear this Toasted - all I can add from v recent experience is it's hard to prepare for the inevitable - gut wrenching - I was going to bury my lady but it wasn't until the end that my emotions took over and I couldn't bear to have her that way. I went for cremation and scattered her under her favourite tree in the garden, in that moment I let her go. It's hard to know how you and your mum will feel when it comes to it, but you'll never forget your treasured pet no matter what you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So sorry you're having to experience this, it's truly awful.
    I can guarantee they are treated with dignity and respect as i have clarified with this company Irish Pet Crematorium both in a personal and professional capacity a few times what happens. If you get your pet individually cremated it is only your pets ashes you get back, they are very very strict on their procedures. I have gotten my last dog cremated and her ashes back in a scatter tube (which i couldnt bring myself to scatter :o) and I will be getting Beanies ashes back, probably this week in a tribute box with his name engraved on the top. These are the "basic" packages. They offer a more elaborate service e.g ornaments/frames etc. They collect your pets remains from your local practice and the ashes are delivered back there also.

So today he was put to sleep, a shell of his former self, but it was the best thing to do, I've never seen something work as fast, and the vet was incredibly professional about the whole thing.

He died at quarter past ten in the back of my car, we decided to bury him in our garden under a cherry blossom tree, I'd just like to thank you all for giving us advice and help

Ben and pickles out.

• Advertisement

Ah, so sorry to hear that :( RIP Ben xx and sending hugs to you ♥♥

Advertisement