Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitter in Tipp town

Options
  • 29-07-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, I've a 5 month old baby and I'm going to need a babysitter from November.
    I'm only interested in a lady who has kids of her own or minds a few others. No crèches please!
    If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate a pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

june17 wrote: »
    I'm only interested in a lady who has kids of her own or minds a few others. No crèches please!

That's gender discrimination. Someone reading this could put in a complaint to the Equality Authority on those grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Chris___ wrote: »
    That's gender discrimination. Someone reading this could put in a complaint to the Equality Authority on those grounds.

Maybe you should put in a complaint yourself....!
    Yeah, there's so many men running babysitting services

digzy wrote: »
    Maybe you should put in a complaint yourself....!
    Yeah, there's so many men running babysitting services

Actually there are men in Tipperary and throughout Munster who babysit or work in creches etc.

Why would I put in a complaint about the OP it's not like I would be applying for that job. I was just pointing out to the OP that it is illegal to turn down someone based on gender in this case a man for a job because you would prefer to give it to a woman without regard of the person qualifications and experience. If this went to the equality authority it could cost the OP thousands of euros.

If this was my thread and I said I would prefer to hire a man the PC brigade will be all over this thread calling me sexist and more than likely I would be reported to the Equality Authority.

Equality works both ways you know

Actually there are men in Tipperary and throughout Munster who babysit or work in creches etc.

Why would I put in a complaint about the OP it's not like I would be applying for that job. I was just pointing out to the OP that it is illegal to turn down someone based on gender in this case a man for a job because you would prefer to give it to a woman without regard of the person qualifications and experience. If this went to the equality authority it could cost the OP thousands of euros.

If this was my thread and I said I would prefer to hire a man the PC brigade will be all over this thread calling me sexist and more than likely I would be reported to the Equality Authority.

Equality works both ways you know

Perhaps you might provide an example where this could cost the op thousands of euro? Or else it's safe to say you're just being contrary.

You deride the 'PC brigade'. You ought look in the mirror!

Some examples below
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pregnant-worker-awarded-19500-for-gender-discrimination-228534.html
    A pregnant shop assistant has been awarded €19,500 in compensation after the Equality Tribunal found that her dismissal constituted gender discrimination.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2010/0817/world/hse-must-pay-euro25k-for-gender-discrimination-128076.html
    THE Health Service Executive has been ordered to pay €25,000 compensation to a staff member after it refused to extend her contract beyond the normal retirement age of 65.
    The Equality Tribunal made the award to HSE employee Abbie Fitzgerald after ruling that the HSE had discriminated against her on grounds of gender.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0716/world/45k-over-aposmanipulatedapos-interview-236958.html
    The Equality Tribunal has awarded an accountant €45,000 after it ruled that her employer had manipulated a job interview process to choose a less-qualified candidate.

The finding was made against the Irish division of the international engineering consultancy firm, WYG Engineering, which was put into liquidation last year.

The tribunal found that the firm had manipulated interview notes and a marking system so as to favour a male, part-qualified candidate for the job.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/boi-subsidiary-fined-30k-for-gender-bias-234369.html
    A subsidiary of Bank of Ireland has been ordered to pay €30,000 compensation to a senior manager who was discriminated against on grounds of gender.
    The Equality Tribunal issued the ruling against Bank of Ireland Private Banking over the manner in which it handled the female employee’s return to work in Sept 2008 following a period on maternity leave.

• Advertisement

Some examples below

I'm still waiting for a case where someone looking for a lady to babysit has been hauled before a court of law for gender bias!

Google again.

Perhaps you can pm me all the men who you seem so certain are working in the crèche / babysitting business in south tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hi OP!
    I am all for male equality etc but you want a woman to baby sit your kids this might because they are not used to men or around a lot etc.
    Well I think you need advice on finding a baby sitter. Well I am not from Tipp town but I know ye have a Tesco and in our local Tesco there is a notice board with people selling stuff/services etc. It all also has women looking to baby sit and people looking for baby sitter so maybe you could do this you could also have a look around to see are there other shops with these kind of notice boards which you could advertise on.
    Also as far as I know the local papers in your are the Tipperary Star and The Nationalist also look at the Limerick leader because Limerick isn't miles away from Tipp town. You could look at these to see if people are looking to be baby sitters or you could place an ad in them yourselves.
    Hope that helps!

Advertisement