Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project and Construction Management

Options
  • 29-07-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Well,
    So with my leaving cert year coming at me like a train I've been trying to decide what courses I want to pick.
    So since i've been a young lad i've always loved construction, I know what the current climate is like but surely abroad I'd find a job? the past few weeks I have been trying to determine the best career within Construction and have found two courses in particular which interest me, Project and Construction Management in NUIG and Construction and Engineering Management in UL.
    I know P+CM in nuig has an average intake of 9 which is staggeringly low.. Anyone know what is it in UL?
    Anyways, just wondering can anyone tell me what either of these courses are like? And ifyou can think of a better career in construction for me please say.
    I'd love to do Civil eng then master a management course but A) I don't do engineering in school and B) Doing pass maths. Opinions?
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Squallink

Well first things first, if you really want to civil engineering instead of construction management nothing's stopping you. Engineering for leaving cert has practically nothing to do with civil eng, construction studies and design and communication graphics are much more relevant. Still these aren't needed to get in. The same with higher level maths, if you've taken pass maths for the leaving cert you can still get in to engineering provided you pass a special engineering maths entrance exam, at least this is the case for NUIG, not sure bout UL.

Anyway if you wanna see what the course timetables for CM and CE are like you can find them here

http://www.nuigalway.ie/civileng/timetables.html

for NUIG.

My advice is go for undenominated engineering, first year in engineering is the same for all disciplines, just maths and engineering basics really. Who knows, you might find a discipline you like even more than construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Maddenman

Squallink wrote: »
    Well first things first, if you really want to civil engineering instead of construction management nothing's stopping you. Engineering for leaving cert has practically nothing to do with civil eng, construction studies and design and communication graphics are much more relevant. Still these aren't needed to get in. The same with higher level maths, if you've taken pass maths for the leaving cert you can still get in to engineering provided you pass a special engineering maths entrance exam, at least this is the case for NUIG, not sure bout UL.

Anyway if you wanna see what the course timetables for CM and CE are like you can find them here

http://www.nuigalway.ie/civileng/timetables.html

for NUIG.

My advice is go for undenominated engineering, first year in engineering is the same for all disciplines, just maths and engineering basics really. Who knows, you might find a discipline you like even more than construction.

Thanks for the reply, yes I think undenominated engineering would be a good route to take however I am only doing ordinary level maths and as far as I know the special maths entrance exam is based on the leaving cert higher level paper? Meaning I would have 8 weeks to learn the HL maths paper,and even after that I may not get a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Squallink

Well the college holds a prep course for that exact reason, it runs for about a week and covers the material in the entrance exam, I've heard it's nowhere near as bad as higher level maths. As for places, that's pretty much the same for all courses. You're not guaranteed a place in any course you apply for but you definitely won't get a place if you don't apply. Anyways just a suggestion, all depends on how much you want the course you apply for. If you really want to get into a course very little will stand in your way

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Craiggers

I have done the construction management course in ul and really enjoy I like you have always enjoyed construction and yes the jobs abroad are in abundance been Irish is a great help going for these jobs too :)

We share modules like soil mechanics and forensic engineering with the civils I done pass maths aswell and you would find it hard to cope in civil engineering which all there modules are maths based glad I didn't pick it......

Advertisement