Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stack overflow

Options
  • 29-07-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Is it just me or is that site full of halfwits, if you ask a simple question you get the most long winded "look at what i know" answer filled with as many acronyms possible, im surprised that its not just a string of them as an answer. Iv often replied to these posts having to put answers into plan english for the people who post the question instead of the rubbish the so called experts post. And what is most irritating is the "I dont know the answer to your question so im going to say your doing it wrong and tell you to do it a different way instead of actually answering what you want".

I work as a developer and in IS for the last 13 years and have encountered that people in fear that, "you may know more then them", substitute language instead of actual knowledge. They are second only to people who think Facebook is real life, Capitals are shouting and being a Mod is a position of power in the real world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,312 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mick1975

Overheal wrote: »
    never been there.

dont go it'l give you brain hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

I couldn't agree more with ya,, i have asked a few simple questions with regards to programming in general, and have just sat back and watched the flame war build and just build as far as guys complaining about stuff that had nothing got to do with the original question in the first place...... some guys are very helpful in fairness and they have given me lots of great advice......

As far as the i know everything about everything crowd, i have put a few of those clowns in there place more than once,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I think most people have good intentions. Nevertheless if people behaved themselves all the time the whole world would probably be pretty much perfect. We could stop all this fighting, decommission weapons of mass destruction and bring peace to the galaxy. But oh no... you all have to go on and on pissing me off..

I think most people have good intentions. Nevertheless if people behaved themselves all the time the whole world would probably be pretty much perfect. We could stop all this fighting, decommission weapons of mass destruction and bring peace to the galaxy. But oh no... you all have to go on and on pissing me off..

no its just there a bunch of C*&TS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

mick1975 wrote: »

I was being sarcastic.

I was being sarcastic.

so was i

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I use it from time to time and have found it very helpful.
    Not specific to StackOverflow, but many developers suffer from a disposition to demonstrate their superior knowledge above solving a particular problem.

Still, I'll live with that in return for having people spend hours of their time helping me do my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

As a lurker I find stack overflow pretty good, id generally go there for answers over say msdn as they are generally short and to the point. I do notice there is more waffle after the top answer, perhaps its a victim of its popularity ?

I think points could be another issue, there is a lot of prestige attached to a lot of points, hell I d put it on my cv. Whats the best way to "farm" lots of points ? I havent done the math but im willing to bet lots of short quick answers with acronyms would be better than a few well crafted responses, or at least that might be the impression people have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've been using Stackoverflow pretty much since it came out and find it excellent, but it could be that different areas of it are good and bad. I use it primarily for C++ and algorithms and have found that most contributors really know their stuff and are generous in their time and efforts. Worth remembering it is not a chat or discussion site, and has a very narrow remit. Broader discussions tend to suit http://programmers.stackexchange.com/ better.

Nice. Care to link a specific example?

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    I've been using Stackoverflow pretty much since it came out and find it excellent, but it could be that different areas of it are good and bad. I use it primarily for C++ and algorithms and have found that most contributors really know their stuff and are generous in their time and efforts. Worth remembering it is not a chat or discussion site, and has a very narrow remit. Broader discussions tend to suit http://programmers.stackexchange.com/ better.

Nice. Care to link a specific example?

I dont use it to chat, who would do that?infact i dont even ask questions there, Just look at any google search link on stackoverflow and you will see what i and the other posters are on about, or even do a google search on "stackoverflow is full of idiots" it just is, they cant answer simply when the answer is simple, they argue rather than answer, they over post msdn as an answer and when they dont know they blame the poster, the site known for it.

and there a bunch of C*&TS!

Phoebas wrote: »
    I use it from time to time and have found it very helpful.
    Not specific to StackOverflow, but many developers suffer from a disposition to demonstrate their superior knowledge above solving a particular problem.

Still, I'll live with that in return for having people spend hours of their time helping me do my job.

Yes they do suffer from that, id say its a keyboard warrior thing as i doubt they be like that face to face. Ive seen a discussion there about the a random number in c#, basically rewriting a class that exists, then deliberating the fact that random numbers do not exist, and the poor sod probably in college just wanted to know how to produce a random number which is 2 lines of basic code. Its less superior knowledge and more lack of it. A good solution to a problem is the easiest solution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

...or even do a google search on "stackoverflow is full of idiots"...

Googling stackoverflow is full of idiots returns 3 hits, one of which is this thread. Googling stackoverflow is awesome returns 649,000 hits.

So you've said, though you seem to be in something of a minority here. I guess as one of the circa two million members of the SO community that makes me a C*&T too? Bit of a broad brush you're using there, no?
    They are second only to people who think ... capitals are shouting

That's you, that is. You also left out grammar Nazis. You know them, the type of smarmy gits who endlessly point out the the difference between there and they're. They're C*&TS too, I hate those idiots. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yes they do suffer from that, id say its a keyboard warrior thing as i doubt they be like that face to face. Ive seen a discussion there about the a random number in c#, basically rewriting a class that exists, then deliberating the fact that random numbers do not exist, and the poor sod probably in college just wanted to know how to produce a random number which is 2 lines of basic code. Its less superior knowledge and more lack of it. A good solution to a problem is the easiest solution.
    Is this the question by any chance? Top answer is the easiest solution. Took two seconds to check. Of course if that wasn't suitable, there's a discussion on other methods and the limitations of the 'easy' way

So what exactly is your problem with SO? So far it boils down to "there a bunch of C*&TS!". You're not exactly coming off like an unbiased commenter

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

In fairness to SO its got answers to almost every question that crops up in IT, I have yet to see abything as good for other disciplines, farmeroverflow anybody ?

This is going to sound cynical, but questions like the RNG are probably going to draw ire as they are constantly put up by slacker students. The direct answer probably isnt what the student wants either as programming lecturers are wise to people just googling assignments.

My own experience with more business orientated stuff like sql server on SO are nothing but positive.

28064212 wrote: »
    Is this the question by any chance? Top answer is the easiest solution. Took two seconds to check. Of course if that wasn't suitable, there's a discussion on other methods and the limitations of the 'easy' way

So what exactly is your problem with SO? So far it boils down to "there a bunch of C*&TS!". You're not exactly coming off like an unbiased commenter

my problem is (read the thread) and im totally biased! there twats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So you have nothing constructive to add in any way, just more name-calling?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mick1975 View Post
    ...or even do a google search on "stackoverflow is full of idiots"...
    Googling stackoverflow is full of idiots returns 3 hits, one of which is this thread. Googling stackoverflow is awesome returns 649,000 hits.

Quote:
    So you've said, though you seem to be in something of a minority here. I guess as one of the circa two million members of the SO community that makes me a C*&T too? Bit of a broad brush you're using there, no?

Quote:
    They are second only to people who think ... capitals are shouting
    That's you, that is. You also left out grammar Nazis. You know them, the type of smarmy gits who endlessly point out the the difference between there and they're. They're C*&TS too, I hate those idiots.

"stackoverflow is full of idiots"
    Search returned 260,000 results, but im with you on the "you may have a point but you spelled it wrong" morons

Originally Posted by mick1975 View Post
    So you have nothing constructive to add in any way, just more name-calling?

didnt say i was going to be constructive, im a big boy ill "name call" all i want

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think this thread has run it's course..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement