Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 7 (2013)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Picked one up today, loving it so far except when connecting it to a Bluetooth speaker and watching YouTube, it's like the Bluetooth is interfering with the WiFi, videos are slow to buffer and video constantly pauses. Speaker off, and the video plays fine! are you guys having the same issue?

Be interested if its just me, and their back to Curries with this?

No problem for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Do you mind me asking if your Bluetooth speaker is Bluetooth 4.0 AptX?

I've a Phillips AS111 for charging the phone thts also a speaker and a portable Monster travel speaker and the Nexus 7 of fine with them, its when I pair it to my bluetooth 4.0 AptX Creative Zii that I've issues with.

I'm hoping it's something to do with my router tht both the WiFi and Bluetooth mess each up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking if your Bluetooth speaker is Bluetooth 4.0 AptX?

I've a Phillips AS111 for charging the phone thts also a speaker and a portable Monster travel speaker and the Nexus 7 of fine with them, its when I pair it to my bluetooth 4.0 AptX Creative Zii that I've issues with.

I'm hoping it's something to do with my router tht both the WiFi and Bluetooth mess each up.

Haven't a clue about the specs, its a jawbone jambox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My device won't charge at all. It's just over a year old. The original charger (ASUS) doesn't work so I've been using a charger that came with my HTC with no issues for a month or so. The power ran out totally, I didn't charge it for a day or so and now it doesn't seem to be charging at all. I tried the tricks on a youtube google video but no joy. i'm currently letting it charge for the 10 hours it recommended as a last resort. Anyone encounter this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

dregin wrote: »
    I've this poetic slimline for the 2nd gen on its way to me now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E5NOXM4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Online reviews were good and my poetic cover for the 1st gen did the job very well. BTW, shipping for 2 cases was going to be £26 before I parcel Motel'd it - bringing it down to £8 :D

Just wondering if you got your case yet. Ordered it as well and wondering how long the delivery is. seems to be coming from the states and mydelivery date is 30th Sept even though it was dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

lazygal wrote: »
    My device won't charge at all. It's just over a year old. The original charger (ASUS) doesn't work so I've been using a charger that came with my HTC with no issues for a month or so. The power ran out totally, I didn't charge it for a day or so and now it doesn't seem to be charging at all. I tried the tricks on a youtube google video but no joy. i'm currently letting it charge for the 10 hours it recommended as a last resort. Anyone encounter this?

I think the Asus charger is a 2A charger while most phone chargers are between 0.5 and 1A. That can make it hard to get it kick started when it goes completely flat. Long term it might be worth getting a replacement 2A charger (they are much faster too).

In the short term, the same thing happened to my sister's one. She just left it charging and it started charging in a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Does anyone know about the usb car chargers ?
    I wanted to buy a dual outlet type but they all seem to be a 1x1amp and a 1x2amp outlets
    I need a 1amp for my phone but is it safe to use the 2amp outlet for the nexus 7. will it over charge or damage it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Does anyone know about the usb car chargers ?
    I wanted to buy a dual outlet type but they all seem to be a 1x1amp and a 1x2amp outlets
    I need a 1amp for my phone but is it safe to use the 2amp outlet for the nexus 7. will it over charge or damage it ?

You will be fine as the device only takes what it needs. Having more amps means the unit may charge faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Speaking of chargers, have any of ye picked up a wireless charger yet, any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Finally got my Nexus 7 after a mix up with parcel motel. God there customer service is awful. The fact that I got it for 220e is the only positive. Anyway looking forward to getting it setup later on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

redscan wrote: »
    I think the Asus charger is a 2A charger while most phone chargers are between 0.5 and 1A. That can make it hard to get it kick started when it goes completely flat. Long term it might be worth getting a replacement 2A charger (they are much faster too).

In the short term, the same thing happened to my sister's one. She just left it charging and it started charging in a few hours.

Thanks. I left it charging for the day and its perfect now. I've ordered a 2a new charger, thanks for the detailed info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

I had to get a replacement nexus, had a issue with the top speaker.
    There was sound distortion over 50% volume (audio with voices would make it sound like an old radio out of tune).
    New one seems fine, time to root + unlock and restore my backup.

Anyone try any custom roms yet? I hear Cyanogenmod 10.2 for the N7 is supposed to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

There is always a trade off between protection and bulk.
    I'm using the Poetic slimline on original N7 and N10 but not sure if gen 2 case out yet.
    This looks similar http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Google-New-Nexus-Case/dp/B00E4OKXPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1377795790&sr=1-1&keywords=poetic+nexus+7+22

I ended up ordering the above MoKo case and it arrived today.
    It is pretty much identical to the Poetic Slimline one I had for the older N7 just updated for the back camera and other hardware changes. I went with the Moko over the Poetic as when I ordered they had a 'fulfilled by Amazon' and I got free shipping.

The new N7 with the case on still fits in to this case http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HI3S3Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I used this with the old model and case, great for using when travelling or if I want to just throw it I to a laptop bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

reading theres problems with nexus 7 the new update is not fixing it and breaking some that are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yep same here, over the moon with it!

Yep, I know its only a small bit thinner but it really makes it feel better in hand. putting a case indoors only adds the bulk back.

That screen really is stunning and its the first thing people comment on when first seeing it. (then saying how thin it feels on holding it)

Really Happy with mine, love it, no problems at all.
    My case and bluetooth keybord will be in Parcel motel tomorrow as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

It's simply an extremely sexy device!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

where do people recommend buying this from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Ordered mine from Amazon as PC World only had the 16GB version available. They broke my heart when they said it'd be a week before they got it in again....
    Now i'm playing the waiting game with Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

s8n wrote: »

Currys Liffey Valley (in the center, not the retail park) were selling both 16 and 32GB versions this week.
    250 and 300 euro.......might be cheaper online.

s8n wrote: »

Not Amazon. Ordered on 27 August and it appears to be doing a tour of small European towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I was just in Tesco in the Crescent in Limerick, and they were carrying the Nexus 7. Just an FYI for those wanting it locally. Definitely the new one.

• Advertisement

redscan wrote: »
    Not Amazon. Ordered on 27 August and it appears to be doing a tour of small European towns.

Don't tell me that..... want to get it this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Is the old version still available anywhere?
    AT A GOOD PRICE:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My Poetic Slimline case arrived today - I'm very impressed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My Poetic Slimline case arrived today - I'm very impressed.

Mine too. Very snug indeed!

Side note: Amazon really shouldn't be giving USPS tracking numbers. Ordered my case from .co.uk but it shipped from US. Amazon site thinks it'a still in LA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dregin wrote: »
    Mine too. Very snug indeed!

Side note: Amazon really shouldn't be giving USPS tracking numbers. Ordered my case from .co.uk but it shipped from US. Amazon site thinks it'a still in LA!

6 days from the US wasn't bad though...

• Advertisement

PauloConn wrote: »
    Don't tell me that..... want to get it this week

Just got it delivered there. You shouldn't have too long to wait!

More generally, my sister has the older model and the new one is just so much nicer. When you get hold of it it feels really nice in the hand like Apple's offerings. The screen is sensational. Might just keep my Netflix account (coupled with Hola Unblocker of course :) )

Thanks redscan. I've been tracking it intently and it's in the country (a day earlier than i imagined as was in Dunfermline last night) so its in Dublin and some DHL dude is driving round without a care in the world while i want my damn nexus now.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just looking for some opinions from the lucky new owners...

Which version have folks been getting, 16GB or 32GB? I'm half thinking about getting one, currently have the 16GB orignal, but not sure I need the 32 and the extra €50 it costs. Only the odd time would I copy films to the device so I'm thinking 16 should be enough space - is it mainly space for films that would have folks buying the 32?

Also - does the headphone socket work ok? On my original it's pot luck whether I get sound from both earpieces or just one (no matter how firm I plug in the connection). About the only thing that annoys me about it, otherwise I love the device.

Lastly, has anyone bought a decent case from a bricks & mortar or all getting them online?

Cheers folks.

I got the 32gig version so i would have enough space to put the odd few films on but also thinking about resale values for when in a couple of years i want to upgrade will anyone be happy with a 16gig version ?

my head phone socket is working fine, only used it a dozen or so times but no problem so fare.

and then cases, i got mine from Amazon, more choice and cheaper. I got a nice silicone sleeve for it and also a folding type case the coverts to a stand, got the silicone thing for £1.99 and the case was on offer for £2.98, both really good quality, I'm happy enough anyway.

PC World had no cases when I bought my 32GB model on release day and didn't know when they'd be getting them in.

I'd go for the 32GB model from the get go, especially if you're not going get the 3G model and there's no memory card expansion slot just in case you do need it further down the line.

Thanks for the advice folks. Went down to my local Tescos and got the 16 GB, only version they had. Eveything is great so far except I noticed straight away there's some backlight bleed at the top edge of the screen. Downloaded a Backlight Bleed Test app which shows up the problem. Anyone else have the same issue?

Thinking about returning it and hopefully get a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice folks. Went down to my local Tescos and got the 16 GB, only version they had. Eveything is great so far except I noticed straight away there's some backlight bleed at the top edge of the screen. Downloaded a Backlight Bleed Test app which shows up the problem. Anyone else have the same issue?

Thinking about returning it and hopefully get a better one.

I have had mine about 2 weeks and have had no problems,but if you have backlight bleed it wont rectify itself in time,so if i was you i would definitly return it.

Went and got a replacement, this one is much better. Ran the blacklight test and there's a very slight bleed in one spot, barely noticeable in the test but not at all when using the tablet proper so I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Hi
    Got a nexus7and my an likes playing on it. Now he's only5and all play is supervised and when he's sat on the sofa but i am paranoid about him dropping it. My question is what the best cover and protector for a nexusy7 that people use with kids?

Thanks

• Advertisement

conor678 wrote: »
    Hi
    Got a nexus7and my an likes playing on it. Now he's only5and all play is supervised and when he's sat on the sofa but i am paranoid about him dropping it. My question is what the best cover and protector for a nexusy7 that people use with kids?

Thanks

Tbh, if you are going to let a five year old play with the nexus 7, be prepared for the worse.its really not a toy and even if you had a case on it and it got dropped,there's still a good chance of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Tbh, if you are going to let a five year old play with the nexus 7, be prepared for the worse.its really not a toy and even if you had a case on it and it got dropped,there's still a good chance of damage.

I'm very much aware of that and believe me for the price I've paid for it he's not using it unsupervised or as a toy I'm just looking in a worst case scenario and in terms of damage limitation so any recommendations of the sturdiest covers would be greatly appreciated. No one's fool proof and I'm sure people have designed a drop proof nexus case and I'm sure people on here have brought one

I'm very much aware of that and believe me for the price I've paid for it he's not using it unsupervised or as a toy I'm just looking in a worst case scenario and in terms of damage limitation so any recommendations of the sturdiest covers would be greatly appreciated. No one's fool proof and I'm sure people have designed a drop proof nexus case and I'm sure people on here have brought one

The problem is even if it has a case,it will only protect it from minor bumps and scrapes. Amazon have a good and varied selection of cases,normally delivered in about 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi

Thanks

you could have a look around for something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Kido-Nexus-Generation-Convertable-Pink/dp/B00E5IVRFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I bought one last week and its a lovely piece of kit. The screen is unbelievable on it. I just don't use it though so I'm thinking of throwing it up on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Do otterbox do a case for the nexus? I gave my daughter an iPad 2 years back for xmas when she was 2 and put it in an otterbox and its still perfect. Its been dropped a few times and everything is still 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Same actually - Haven't had the use for it that i taught i would!.. Whats adverts like to sell it?!... Anyone have any recommendations price wise??..
    jenno86 wrote: »
    I bought one last week and its a lovely piece of kit. The screen is unbelievable on it. I just don't use it though so I'm thinking of throwing it up on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭board stiff

Hi guys. So I got a 32GB V2 Nexus today. They didn't have any cases in stock in PC World. I was looking at the Poetic Slimline case that was posted a few pages back. I posted a link to another one which I'm thinking of buying. I'd appreciate any feedback as I'm too nervous to start using the tablet without a screen protector/case yet. And advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOFRED%C2%AE-Case-MOFRED%C2%AE-Executive-Generation-Snapdragon/dp/B00E0PYG3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378679015&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7+2013+case

Very happy with my slimline to date, but it defo won't offer as much protection as some of the bulkier options.

• Advertisement

Hi guys. So I got a 32GB V2 Nexus today. They didn't have any cases in stock in PC World. I was looking at the Poetic Slimline case that was posted a few pages back. I posted a link to another one which I'm thinking of buying. I'd appreciate any feedback as I'm too nervous to start using the tablet without a screen protector/case yet. And advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOFRED%C2%AE-Case-MOFRED%C2%AE-Executive-Generation-Snapdragon/dp/B00E0PYG3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378679015&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7+2013+case

I have that case from Amazon in the Green, it's ok but i'm just not not using it so i'm going to sell it on Adverts for €10 posted if your interested,

Advertisement