Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is sick dog digging holes in garden?

• 29-07-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I know more about cats then I do about dogs only because I have had cats all my life but regularly baby sit neighbours dogs for length periods. Anyway, one of my neighbours dogs, a Jack Russell, who is about 14 years old started to throw up a bit yesterday and today it was worse (some blood showing).

I went to the vet with my neighbour and obviously the dog and he was diagnosed with a serious stomach bug, blood in both ends. Vet said apart from that he seems ok in all other ways. Was given three injections and left with a course of antibiotics, but vet is going to phone my neighbour tomorrow to check on the dog as if it gets any worse he may need a drip or bloods done. Anyway, I have taken the other dog in to give the poor JR a bit of R&R but today before the dog was taken to the vet he started digging holes in the garden and has continued doing this. He is still not eating, vet recommended boiled chicken which he would normally devour but is not interested also when he does sit down he is totally ignoring everything and everyone. Has anybody got any idea why he is digging holes.

Sorry if the above is long winded but could not put it any shorter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

to save the owner the effort .

Joking assist thats the bred of the dog they all do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

to save the owner the effort .

Joking assist thats the bred of the dog they all do it

Ha, ha, but while he can be a bit of a digger at times, he is none stop digging holes everywhere, there is not much in the garden that can be dug up as it is nearly all stones, but all the bedding areas are being up, I mean everywhere, gobsmacked when I saw it earlier, he is relentless at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Dogs can act out like this when they are sick or in pain. When my collie had a bad stomach upset she was digging at the ground before she threw up. Hes probably feeling nauseous.

edit to add make sure the vet gets told hes doing this.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Dogs can act out like this when they are sick or in pain. When my collie had a bad stomach upset she was digging at the ground before she threw up. Hes probably feeling nauseous.

edit to add make sure the vet gets told hes doing this.

Thanks for that, we did tell the vet that he was digging but we did not realise how much until we got back and started the clean up. I heard him being sick today through the fence and phoned my neighbour who came back immediately but found no vomit (sorry if this does not sound the best) but took him to vet straight away as he was not good, it was only after the vet visit that I pointed out exactly where I heard him and that is where he had been really digging, could not believe how much he had dug.

She is up looking after him tonight (and knowing her she will be up all night on watch) and I have his brother in with me to give him some peace. Think she will be telling all we have learned tomorrow. We are both quite worried about him.

ahh hopefully there will be an improvement in him by tomorrow :-)

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    ahh hopefully there will be an improvement in him by tomorrow :-)

Let's hope so. I am sure you can gather that I am not that ofay with dogs and their habits, know a bit but not as much as I know about cats.

Have the cutiest Yorkshire Terrier staying at the moment, he is a little dote. Gets on great with both of my cats. And have a boxer for one month from tomorrow. Funniest thing about the boxer is that he only understands Turkish so I have had to learn to talk doggy talk in turkish. The kids in the area think he is such a cleaver dog being able to understand Turkish :D

Will post on the poor patient tomorrow when I know more.

Well just been into see him and he is still pretty sick but he finally ate a piece of chicken. Amazing for a dog that barks at anyone he hears going down the side he has not even made a squeak for two days. Still digging tho. Vet phone and is happy with his progress but he still needs to be consistently monitored for next few days and needs peace so I have his brother to stay again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

hope he makes a speedy recovery, but can I just ask if there are any houses for sale near you because you really are a great neighbour, well done!!

yeah ditto the above ^^^^! Hope hes back to full health soon at least he ate a little thats good.

Ahh, thanks LJ & Maggie. Hate to see any animal in pain, love them all apart from creepy crawlies, and how could I resist this little thing, Jasper my current lodger.
    9400793683_2f159dcef9_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Update - Well the patient has picked up a bit, to the extent that he has noticed that his brother (not real brothers) is on his holidays in my house and he is getting jealous. He was crying at the fence. So Jasper has gone home for the night to look after his sick brother. All looking good for now.

Thats excellent news!! Hes on the mend:-)

Update - Jakie completed his course of antibotics and seems to be nearly back to his old self. As he is old I think it has taken a bit of a toll on him tho. Few more years in the old dog yet, hopefully. Thanks for all the responses to this thread, we were quite worried about him.

Advertisement