Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Wattage GU10 Issue

Options
  • 29-07-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Some help needed. I have 10 GU10's in my kitchen. Two standard switches serving them, 6/4 lights.
    I changed them all to 4 watt Aurus bulbs which I found excellent. No issues until recently, when after a few hours on being on, two of them either dim out or go out altogether. I swapped them round with other ones that were fine but same issue. Work fine for a few hours and then same issue.
    Then one night, I put the kettle on and the buggars came back on. Kettle went off and so did the two lights. Kettle on, lights on, kettle off, lights off.

Any explanations before I get my electrician to have a look or is it a priest I need?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Loose connection somewhere - probably a neutral.

Tell the sparks to bring holy water, he'll need it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Why the issue only after a few hours, I understand this could be heat related but then why the kettle issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's why I said bring holy water.. it could be hard to track down. :)

Thanks, I might just give Fr Wallace a call. Get him prepared sort of speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sounds like an inductive load issue on a dimmer, but you did say that they are standard on off switches. do you have one of your old higher wattage GU10 lamps?
    if so try an replace one of the LEDs with it to see if they all work independent of the kettle with one higher wattage lamp back in the circuit just try it as a test see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

shane0007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Some help needed. I have 10 GU10's in my kitchen. Two standard switches serving them, 6/4 lights.
    I changed them all to 4 watt Aurus bulbs which I found excellent. No issues until recently, when after a few hours on being on, two of them either dim out or go out altogether. I swapped them round with other ones that were fine but same issue. Work fine for a few hours and then same issue.
    Then one night, I put the kettle on and the buggars came back on. Kettle went off and so did the two lights. Kettle on, lights on, kettle off, lights off.

Any explanations before I get my electrician to have a look or is it a priest I need?

Drop down the light fitting this happened to.

Stick a voltmeter on it, measure voltage.

Turn on kettle, measure voltage.

Issue with the kettle seems to have stopped. Only happened that once.
    No dimmer switches.
    Basically, they all work, then after they have heated up, mainly one but sometimes the one beside that one goes out but has a faint glow. Haven't done much about it since but hopefully I can get home early enough one day this week to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

may just be a bit of dirt on the contacts of the switch.

turn off the supply, and give the switches a damn good rattle on/off a hundred times. This will help clean the contacts.

Advertisement