Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrail Vs J1

• 29-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is an awkward question but I'm trying to figure out which of these is a better option.
    Basically I have some concerns around the J1 such as difficulties getting a job or accommodation and as a result finding yourself spending alot of money just to support yourself and not enjoying the trip.
    I see interrailing as a bit of a safer option however the drawbacks here are this is simply a holiday and there is no opportunity to earn money, which some of my friends want to do. As well as that it will only take one month of what is quite a long summer?
    Any advice? Are my worries about the J1 things that could happen or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Having experienced both i would advise you to do both in your lifetime!

if i had the chance to relive one of them over again, id go with the interailing hands-down

J1 offers the chance to immerse yourself in the culture of a wonderful nation and earn a few quid while your at it. You can then do plenty of the upmarket travelling/excursions that backpacking denies you. you may even come home with a few pound, again something backpacking definitely denies you! but remember if your working a job, your going to be in the 9-5 grind. and thats if you get a job! more than likely youll do sporadic menial jobs and live with a dozen other J1 folk in a bedsit (believe me!)

but with interrailing you get to see many amazing cities and cultures. no day is the same, new friends all the time and its a proper adventure holiday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd definitely recommend doing both also, but interrailing was definitely my preferred experience. Scouser's post sums it up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Scouser wrote: »
    if your working a job, your going to be in the 9-5 grind. and thats if you get a job! more than likely youll do sporadic menial jobs and live with a dozen other J1 folk in a bedsit (believe me!)

but with interrailing you get to see many amazing cities and cultures. no day is the same, new friends all the time and its a proper adventure holiday

That point about J1 is what I think I want to avoid as I think I wouldn't com home with a whole lot of money to make it worth it.
    To me interrailing seems alot more appealing but the cost is a factor and its going to take some persuasion to win over my friends on that one.
    Would €2000 cover it or are we talking more?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    That point about J1 is what I think I want to avoid as I think I wouldn't com home with a whole lot of money to make it worth it.
    To me interrailing seems alot more appealing but the cost is a factor and its going to take some persuasion to win over my friends on that one.
    Would €2000 cover it or are we talking more?

all depends where your planning on going and for how long

the likes of Germany, France and Austria will be pricey but if you stick to Eastern Europe and the Balkans than your few quid will go further

I want to do cities so I guess that will make it on the expensive side. But then maybe we could do a mix to keep it down

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I want to do cities so I guess that will make it on the expensive side. But then maybe we could do a mix to keep it down

cities like Prague, Poznan, Krakow, Bratislava, Zagreb, Split, ljubjliana, Budapest are all cheap! what an amazing time you would have between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Both are probably similar in prices; 3 weeks Interrailing will cost you somewhere in the region of €1800 to be comfortable and probably something similar to pay for the Visa/Flights/Setting-up money for the J1.

But yeah, do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

The thing is you can only do a J1 when you are in college.

You can go interrailing any time and you might get more out of it when you are in your mid-late 20s and have a bit more money to enjoy Europe.

I'd do the J1 now but yes, you probably won't make much money, if any.

Going more towards the J1 but I am thinking of doing a postgrad course in Sept 2014 so would want to be back in early August if I was.
    Is going for say 8 or 10 weeks possible or would you have to stay longer?

Advertisement