Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple ID without credit Card

• 30-07-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey Guys Im going to be getting an iphone soon and my friend said you need a credit card for the apple ID (A credit card I dont have) anyways I looked it up and on the site I found out that you dont need to have a credit card and theres a 'None' option. I went ahead and tried this out for myself and can confirm its all correct there is a 'none' option which can make me an apple ID without a credit card on it.. My question is when you make that apple ID without a credit card on the ID can you go ahead and download apps (FREE apps not paid) .. I cant verify it and not everyone seems to be able to get an account without a credit card

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534 Heres the link .. you must do this through iTunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

I setup an iPhone for someone recently who didn't have a credit card - they only wanted free app's and I was not able to work around it. I found it easier to ask the person to get a visa debit card which I was able to use to setup the itunes account and download free apps as normal.

If you can figure out how to do this without a credit card I would be interested to know.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I did it by downloading a free app in the App Store. That was two or three years ago though

Take a look at the link it will tell you (By the apple support team) how to set up an account without a credit card .. I know how to get an apple ID without a credit card I could do it right now .. What im wondering is will it work as usual i.e when I go to download lets say Snapchat will it let me download it or will it ask for a credit card or stuff like ( Even though its free)

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Take a look at the link it will tell you (By the apple support team) how to set up an account without a credit card .. I know how to get an apple ID without a credit card I could do it right now .. What im wondering is will it work as usual i.e when I go to download lets say Snapchat will it let me download it or will it ask for a credit card or stuff like ( Even though its free)
    not from my experience. I added a DC 6 months ago and I presume nothing has changed since then

• Advertisement

I dont know why they need a god damn Credit Card .. Android is so less complicated

I guess i'll have to find out for myself when I get the Phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

You don't need a credit card. Or any card! When you turn on your phone for the first time you'll be asked to create an Apple ID. When it asks you to connect your credit card deets for iTunes and the App Store, you just hit 'Skip This Step'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I dont know why this is confusing everyone. there is no need for a credit card with an apple ID if you set it up in the following fashion, either on itunes or on your ios device:

note: if you do not do not include step 2, and create an ID from scratch there will be no payment option for '"none" and you must add a credit card.

note 2: if you're about to do this on a brand new iphone, skip the part of the setup where you're prompted to sign in/create an apple ID and just get the phone up and running, and go straight to the app store:

1. make sure there is no apple id already signed in.
    2. pick a free app, any free app and attempt to purchase it.
    3. you will be prompted to either sign in with an existing ID or create a new one, choose create new.
    4. follow the steps as normal, when you get to the payment info step, the option "none" is there, choose it.
    5. complete the rest of the process. (verify apple ID , then sign in with it)

Once completed the only way to buy paid apps is to redeem itunes vouchers on your ID or add a credit card.

NOTE: if you have already set up an apple ID with a credit card, i do not think you can remove said card once it's set. you can change it to another card though... someone else may be able to confirm that

Android dont make you do this, but they do prompt you to set up google wallet during a new setup if you've not already done so.

So to the OP who asked if you can download free apps on an apple ID that has no credit card, the answer is most definitely YES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

People still get it wrong following the exact steps above. I think it was last year there was a similar thread and I took screen shots to show how to do it and the user still couldn't manage it.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    People still get it wrong following the exact steps above. I think it was last year there was a similar thread and I took screen shots to show how to do it and the user still couldn't manage it.

at the risk of sounding like a prick, if they cant follow those steps in my post, they dont deserve an iphone. it aint ****ing rocket surgery.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's because the way to create an Apple ID without a card is the exception in the process, not the norm, and for people like me who only have one for tracking AppleCare (and not to use with the store) there's no useful way of saying "I want to use this pre-existing AppleID with the store but only for free apps".

For those who already have an AppleID linked to a GMail account, and who want to use it with the App Store for free apps, there is an alternative option to giving Apple your credit card info.
    • Using the "Go to App Store, find Free App, create new Apple ID during the install/checkout process" method described above, create a new Apple ID.
    • When specifying the email address for your new AppleID, you use your existing GMail account but add (or remove) periods from the username. For example, if your existing AppleID is bobsamazingferretshop@gmail.com, you make the new one bobs.amazingferretshop@gmail.com. This works because GMail ignores periods in the email address itself, and routes everything to the same mailbox.
    • Complete the rest of the AppleID signup process as normal; if you want you can even have the password (and security answers) on both AppleIDs be the same.
    • You can even set up filters in GMail to differentiate between your original AppleID and your new "App Store" AppleID (by filtering on the "sent to" address).

I still think Apple should have a damn tick box in the AppleID account settings that you can select for "no thanks, don't ask me for bank details, I will only be using the App Store for free Apps". The devs submitting to the App store wouldn't like that much, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Fysh wrote: »
    That's because the way to create an Apple ID without a card is the exception in the process, not the norm, and for people like me who only have one for tracking AppleCare (and not to use with the store) there's no useful way of saying "I want to use this pre-existing AppleID with the store but only for free apps".

For those who already have an AppleID linked to a GMail account, and who want to use it with the App Store for free apps, there is an alternative option to giving Apple your credit card info.
    • Using the "Go to App Store, find Free App, create new Apple ID during the install/checkout process" method described above, create a new Apple ID.
    • When specifying the email address for your new AppleID, you use your existing GMail account but add (or remove) periods from the username. For example, if your existing AppleID is bobsamazingferretshop@gmail.com, you make the new one bobs.amazingferretshop@gmail.com. This works because GMail ignores periods in the email address itself, and routes everything to the same mailbox.
    • Complete the rest of the AppleID signup process as normal; if you want you can even have the password (and security answers) on both AppleIDs be the same.
    • You can even set up filters in GMail to differentiate between your original AppleID and your new "App Store" AppleID (by filtering on the "sent to" address).

I still think Apple should have a damn tick box in the AppleID account settings that you can select for "no thanks, don't ask me for bank details, I will only be using the App Store for free Apps". The devs submitting to the App store wouldn't like that much, though...
    That's all well and good but each time it was someone looking to set up a new apple id.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple need to make the Apple ID sign-up process completely idiot-proof. Issues like this just encourages people to stupidly use someone else's Apple ID which causes far more problems.

or, as i have witnessed with my own eyes, people who have had an iphone for a long time, and never had an apple ID or a single app apart from the stock ones on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's all well and good but each time it was someone looking to set up a new apple id.

Yeah, and do you not think that part of the problem is that, if you go to appleid.apple.com and create a new Apple ID, you're stuck with having to provide a credit card to use the App Store, even if you only want free apps?

It's not hard to create an AppleID without a credit card once you know the specific process for doing so - but that, by definition, means that it's fiddlier than it should be. Especially bearing in mind that there are various points at which you may be asked to create an AppleID where usage with the App Store is the last thing on your mind (eg I created an AppleID to register my AppleCare agreement).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd imagine Apple assumes (correctly in most cases) that anyone registering an AppleCare agreement already has an Apple ID.

Thanks a lot for clarifying I know how to make an account without a credit card etc etc I was wondering you would be able to download free apps then with that ID without a credit card added to which my question got answered .. Thank you very much! I was not able to verify if it worked as I dont have my iPhone yet .. And I agree with the people above me .. Apple have millions of users the least they could do is make a quicker easier sign up system

Yeah they need to do more to make it idiot proof, as SP says. Not that people are stupid (though some just are) but it definitely needs to be extremely straightforward.

But sure when you get it, if you're finding any part of it confusing you can just pop back here and people will offer as much help as they can.

I guess the credit card requirement is a leftover from the early days of the iTunes Store. Back then it made sense to require credit card details during sign-up since there was barely any free content on the iTunes Store. If you weren't going to enter your credit card then there wasn't much point setting up an account.

Obviously with the advent of the App Store and the many free apps available on it, this is not longer practical, but Apple would probably still prefer if every Apple ID had a credit card associated with it. I'd imagine it's a pretty big bargaining chip during negotiations with content providers. Plus, as much as people moan and complain about having to enter their credit card details, once they've done so they are far more likely to purchase paid apps thanks to Apple's one-click purchasing. Giving people the option to wait and enter their credit card details upon purchase of their first app would just give them a negative impression of the app purchasing process which I guess Apple is trying to avoid, even if it means making sign-up process more awkward.

• Advertisement

Also it's important to remember that things like bank cards also being Visa or Mastercard debit cards, while relatively new to Ireland, has been commonplace in the western world for much longer. So while it's a pain for a lot of Irish people, especially a couple of years ago, it hasn't really been a problem for customers in most other countries.

Exceptions to this were teenagers who had an iPod Touch. Having said that, if you got a $300 device for your 14th birthday, daddy's credit card details were probably also at hand!

Edit:wrong thread :(

Advertisement