Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI THREAD; Summer V Winter poll

• 30-07-2013 5:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

You can vote only once.

LOI Winter Leauge

LOI Summer Leauge

LOI - Winter League or Summer League? 73 votes

A Summer League - As now (March - Oct)
    0%
    A Winter League - Or change (Aug - May)
    100%
    Chucky the treeuchgimmickKingp35Howard the DuckbohsmanapplehunterJulezeventpatmacNIMANArmaniJeanssgustavoGLaDOSMushyLuckyLloydXavi6dsmythydfx-adaminho 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dude, it's "league" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would hate to go back to the winter league.

Its bloody cold enough for the 1st couple of months and last couple of months of the 'summer' league, why have an entire league campaign bloody freezing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Dude, it's "league" ;)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Dude, it's "league" ;)
    OK.
    Start yer own poll if yer not happy with the wording in the op.GL

OK.
    Start yer own poll if yer not happy with the wording in the op.GL

No need to get pissy, it was friendly pointer.

If I was going to have a proper dig I'd say you ballsed up the poll by allowing people to select both options (something which has already been exploited).

• Advertisement

Dude,pissy is as pissy does.The question is quite simple,if the orig question was wrong all you had to do was pm me,point out the mistake and it could have been sorted.Anyway take down the thread please.

Dude,pissy is as pissy does.The question is quite simple,if the orig question was wrong all you had to do was pm me,point out the mistake and it could have been sorted.Anyway take down the thread please.

There was nothing wrong with the question, sure I voted. You spelt the same word wrong six times so all I did was make a suggestion for future reference. You could've just said "Ah cheers for the tip" but instead got all defensive and threw your proverbial toys by asking for the thread to be shut.

Anyway, I voted summer season because Ireland's climate dictates it. Between the cold and games getting called off you would have a miserable middle segment.

Can't see there being any debate over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Perhaps a new poll on how the op should be worded/spelt? Get the big issues out of th way first, then worry about the minor details such as summer/winter football

As someone who attends only on a part time basis (5-10 games a season), I prefer the summer football. I also think theres a greater potential to increase attendances during the summer months then during the winter months

Kids and students don't have school/college etc during the summer, nor is there any English football on. Increasing the numbers in this bracket attending would be healthy for the future of the league, as it's ensuring the next generation grow up with live football as the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I can see both sides of the argument.

There was nothing wrong with the question, sure I voted. You spelt the same word wrong six times so all I did was make a suggestion for future reference. You could've just said "Ah cheers for the tip" but instead got all defensive and threw your proverbial toys by asking for the thread to be shut.

Anyway, I voted summer season because Ireland's climate dictates it. Between the cold and games getting called off you would have a miserable middle segment.

Can't see there being any debate over it.
    The mod on this was asked how to word the question in the op.Not that it was hard a hard ask?
    The repeat of a word in the op came about due to phone and wi fi issues.
    Best we leave it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Always bloody freezing at Ferrycarrig Park, so it doesn't affect us Youths fans:o

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personal preference is Summer League. Miserable winter nights aren't the time to convince new people to come to games.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm surprised there is a push to go back to a winter season. What's the reasoning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Would honestly prefer the winter football as there does be too much on in the summer.

Positives
    Xmas Football
    More games under floodlights
    steady crowds in the winter months compared to Summer (We got lucky with the extreme sunshine this year)
    Cup final is on in May and always preferred this
    Friendlies ain't clashing or interfering with the league schedule
    Better atmosphere at games during the winter cos it's sing or bloody freeze
    Keeps in line with the traditional footballing calender so no games been postponed or will suffer from low crowds due to world cup or European Championships

Negatives
    Freezing weather
    Clubs results in Europe will suffer
    the non freak occurrence of going to a game with lovely weather
    Chance of more games been postponed.

I think if we had a break around January it could work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Summer, very easy decision.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm surprised there is a push to go back to a winter season. What's the reasoning?

My reasoning would be that, personally, I've missed a fair few games since about May.

I'm of an age where I've mates getting married, I got married myself, I've gotten a new job leaving me with more disposable income, meaning more weekends away, the weather this summer being incredible I was at more BBQs and just general get-togethers that I value more than a trip to Tolka Park on a Friday.

Stuff that would bother me if I missed it, more than missing the football bothers me - if you get me.

Now, would I prefer to be sitting in the sun watching football over sitting in the sleet in December or January, absolutely I would.

Also, every time I DO go to the match, I always think to myself "Jaysis, why have I not been going to matches, this is a great way to spend my time on a Friday, with my brother and friends".

But, then I go to a wedding of a good mate, or spend time with my parents and other siblings, or go for a picnic with my wife and I think, yeah, this is time well spent too.

My reasoning would be that, personally, I've missed a fair few games since about May.

I'm of an age where I've mates getting married, I got married myself, I've gotten a new job leaving me with more disposable income, meaning more weekends away, the weather this summer being incredible I was at more BBQs and just general get-togethers that I value more than a trip to Tolka Park on a Friday.

Stuff that would bother me if I missed it, more than missing the football bothers me - if you get me.

Now, would I prefer to be sitting in the sun watching football over sitting in the sleet in December or January, absolutely I would.

Also, every time I DO go to the match, I always think to myself "Jaysis, why have I not been going to matches, this is a great way to spend my time on a Friday, with my brother and friends".

But, then I go to a wedding of a good mate, or spend time with my parents and other siblings, or go for a picnic with my wife and I think, yeah, this is time well spent too.

Personal preference is always a valid reason for anything! And do see your point - I think everyone sticks to the normal routine far more between September and April than they do May to August.

Can't remember who said it on MNS last night,but a return to playing winter leauge was mentioned by either Stu Byrne or Pat Dolan.

Can't remember who said it on MNS last night,but a return to playing winter leauge was mentioned by either Stu Byrne or Pat Dolan.

And what was their argument for same do you know?

Same as same as = attendances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭kksaints

Attendences. Think it was Byrne who said that peoples attitude is to forget about soccer once the EPL finishes in May and to come back to it in August or September when it starts again.

Personally I would prefer Summer Soccer.

kksaints wrote: »
    Attendences. Think it was Byrne who said that peoples attitude is to forget about soccer once the EPL finishes in May and to come back to it in August or September when it starts again.

Personally I would prefer Summer Soccer.

Does the league or even individual clubs have average attendences year on year spanning the last decade? Seems like it shouldn't be a matter of opinion on which is more popular...

Does the league or even individual clubs have average attendences year on year spanning the last decade? Seems like it shouldn't be a matter of opinion on which is more popular...

My Experience of Bohs over the years was we had better crowds pre summer football,

Roddy collins era in particular, could base that on success at that the time but even under fenlon in 08/09 I dont think the Jodi was as full as what it was under Roddy.

YOY attendances have increased only by maybe > 2% - 5 %since the introduction of Summer football in LOI hence the debate.

YOY attendances have increased only by maybe > 2% - 5 %since the introduction of Summer football in LOI hence the debate.

An increase is an increase though, no? Is there a belief of an additional 5 - 10% attendence rate sitting waiting for November - March football.

An increase is an increase though, no? Is there a belief of an additional 5 - 10% attendence rate sitting waiting for November - March football.
    If i was here all day i could give you a thousand factors as to why the increase is so small.
    "The greatest fans in the world" want to support teams in England,Scotland,Spain & Italy but not in Ireland even though the fare on display here is top notch!
    Frustrating. :mad

If i was here all day i could give you a thousand factors as to why the increase is so small.
    "The greatest fans in the world" want to support teams in England,Scotland,Spain & Italy but not in Ireland even though the fare on display here is top notch!
    Frustrating. :mad

Wouldn't dispute that whatsoever, but I'd say you'd need solid numbers on why attendences would be better during Winter to justify the switch back. Theories or preferences on which is better or was better shouldn't cut it!!

Wouldn't dispute that whatsoever, but I'd say you'd need solid numbers on why attendences would be better during Winter to justify the switch back. Theories or preferences on which is better or was better shouldn't cut it!!

Right ;)

hAHAhaha.

Right ;)

hAHAhaha.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The away section in Bray in January is enough reason to stay with summer football IMO.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would leave it as it is now, as there is no real winter in Ireland (compared to Germany anyway), but a break in January would be handy, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

kksaints wrote: »

Would have thought the opposite tbh.

Why compete on a week to week basis with the EPL, when (rightly or wrongly) it's a losing battle. With a winter league you'd also be back competing with the Heineken Cup, Rabo, etc, which is a big deal in certain areas.

A much more attractive prospect to go when its 15-20 degrees on a Summers evening than going when its dark and wet in December.

LoI is not "top notch" - although the UCD goal last week was amazing.

The LoI "product" is pretty crap compared to what is on offer elsewhere for a comparable spend.

I'm not even talking about football in other countries here, I'm talking about a trip to the cinema (beer can be had in The Lighthouse in Smithfield), or to see a band.

Also, it is a fact that the majority of people have less to spend, so comparing YOY attendances between now and years in the middle of the Celtic Tiger will need to be taken with a caveat.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    With a winter league you'd also be back competing with the Heineken Cup, Rabo, etc, which is a big deal in certain areas.

I don't think Soccer is aimed at the same demographic as Rugby though.

And the areas with a large Rugby following wouldn't have as big a soccer following.

I don't think Ireland actually has many football supporters at all really. There is a difference between a person who watched Man U/Liverpool/AC Milan on the telly and who goes to the odd game - and I'm not having a pop here, I really am not - and people who regularly attend sports events (two gah championship games a summer is NOT regular attendance at sporting events.). People who go to gah League matches, people who go to see the Rugby teams in all the competitions, not just the glamour ones. People who go to LoI - they are a different breed of person to the ones who attend only "big" "glamour" games, (GAA championship, Heineken or international soccer), and they are different again to the kind of person who watches a match on the telly so they can come into work and slag their mate, or go online and troll the crap out of other people who watch telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I don't know weather it has any impact on attendances!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Personally, I hated the idea of a "summer season" first day, but would find it very hard to go back to a traditional season at this stage. For no other reason than I am a creature of habit.

I also like that we have some sort of football outlet when there is feck all fotball on tv for the summer months.

Don't know how Rugby can be compared to Soccer,

as mentioned, two different types of personnel attends each sport

The fcukers that don't go the LOI games usually don't attend anything but Ireland games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

uch wrote: »
    The away section in Bray in January is enough reason to stay with summer football IMO.

Try Ballybofey or Salthill, makes Bray feel like Spain mid-summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You're competing with something regardless of which season it is.

Summer v bogball and good weather (ahem).

Winter v English league and bad weather.

Atmosphere at games under lights tends to be a lot better and I love the fresh air in the winter you get from going to a game whereas in the summer you'd be out doing other things anyway.

Winter for me, but not sure if it's the right thing for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Summer v bogball and good weather (ahem).

Bogball some new sport that I haven't heard of yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If you're a Zulu from Africa, quite possible.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If you're a Zulu from Africa, quite possible.

How do you play, are you a fan yourself? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Summer all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Bogball is a game of little skill played by mudmen. It is a close cousin of the sport "stick-fighting"

srfc19 wrote: »
    Bogball is a game of little skill played by mudmen. It is a close cousin of the sport "stick-fighting"

Nice to see your appreciation of all sports.

Anyway, a summer league gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Nice to see your appreciation of all sports.

Anyway, a summer league gets my vote.

I actually play bogball. However from years of playing and watching I can appreciate how little actual skill is involved in it.

All you need to be good at is to be a good athlete and know when to tactically and cynically foul the other team.

Stick fighting is a bit more skilful, as it is quite hard to hit the other player with your big stick without the ref or his white coated friends spotting you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a chance I would go back to winter football. It was ok when I was a teenager and more in need of getting out and about but not now. Travelling through Dublin city centre on Friday rush hours in the winter is no fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The last game of last season against Shels was unbearably cold. Not sure I'd want to put up with that week in week out. Also, the Bowl is used for the college's rugby games which are played throughout the winter. If we went back to a winter season, it's likely that our pitch would be pretty much unplayable for a good chunk of the season.
    While a winter season may slightly boost attendances for us given that UCD is dead during the summer months, I think I prefer summer games and having a chance at good weather.

Advertisement