Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor SNR margin on broadband

Options
  • 30-07-2013 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

i live 400 metres from the exchange and my snr margin is under 8 and speeds sync at 17mbs. my attenuation is 14. This is with my own modem. With Eircom's modem it is worse.
    At night my ping drops and I am unable to play any games.
    the engineer called out and put a new box with a built-in filter which has made little difference. I don't want to reduce my speeds as I only live 400m from the exchange. When fibre is upgraded i would like to enjoy new speeds.
    I believe the wire coming in from the front of the house to inside may be damaged as the wire connecting the house to the pole was changed due to damage from the trees.
    Is there anything that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

When I was having my house built a few years back, nobody on my little boreen was capable of getting broadband, due to the low SNR on the line. I spoke to the local engineer, and explained the problem. Not long before I moved in, he told me that the last 500m of copper had been replaced, and all of the people on the road that wanted broadband from Eircom now have it, albeit at not great data-rates (~4Mb) but it's something.

Short answer... if you can speak to the local engineer, something may get done. From the Eircom PoV, you are within their SLA, so I doubt much will happen from their end.

BTW, contact Eircom support and get one of the new Zyxel routers... they're vastly improved on the previous ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

vishal wrote: »
    i live 400 metres from the exchange and my snr margin is under 8 and speeds sync at 17mbs. my attenuation is 14. This is with my own modem. With Eircom's modem it is worse.At night my ping drops and I am unable to play any games.the engineer called out and put a new box with a built-in filter which has made little difference. I don't want to reduce my speeds as I only live 400m from the exchange. When fibre is upgraded i would like to enjoy new speeds.I believe the wire coming in from the front of the house to inside may be damaged as the wire connecting the house to the pole was changed due to damage from the trees.Is there anything that can be done?
    Hi vishal,

Would you like to PM me your details and I will check the line for you?

Thanks

Tracey

Advertisement