Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes for vacum packed cooked beetroot

Options
  • 30-07-2013 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Anyone like to share their ideas?!

I like it just raw in a salad.
    Drizzled in oil and salt and roasted for about 15 mins..

I'd love to hear some other healthy (ish!) recipes!

I try to live a semi-Paleo lifestyle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I've used it to make gnocchi, chocolate cake and hummous

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

I sometimes fry chunks of it in groundnut oil, then finish off with a splash of balsamic. Served then with some crumbled feta cheese and a few toasted almonds, its a great side dish or just a warm salad with some leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

GastroBoy wrote: »
    I sometimes fry chunks of it in groundnut oil, then finish off with a splash of balsamic. Served then with some crumbled feta cheese and a few toasted almonds, its a great side dish or just a warm salad with some leaves.

That sounds delicious. What's groundnut oil?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lunaarli wrote: »
    What's groundnut oil?!?!
    Oil pressed from groundnuts, i.e. peanuts :D Available in some supermarkets, but also much cheaper in all Asian supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Slice the beets into wedges, drizzle some balsamic over it, then throw a few sprigs of thyme.
    Put it in the oven for about 30 mins (covered).

Do some equally sized potato wedges and you'll have a colourful side to any main

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not sure what a paleo diet is, but does it omit cheese?

I make a lazy lunch tart with cooked beetroot.

Turn on oven.
    Roll out some pastry, frozen or otherwise. (or a pizza base)
    Top with chopped beetroot, goat cheese, thyme and pepper.
    Stick in the oven until the pastry is cooked.
    Drizzle with some zingy extra virgins... and you're done.

Eat with a salad. NOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy makes a lovely salad with chunks of said beetroot, rocket leaves, blobs of goat's cheese & walnuts. A drizzle of oil & balsamic to finish off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Honestly I mainly have it drained, washed and sliced up in salads! :D

I also have made a silky beetroot puree for some starter dishes with friends and used the left over beetroot puree for Chocolate & Beetroot Brownies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I saw Donal Skehan make a lovely beetroot, lentil and feta salad last night on the telly http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/0508/3158-roasted-beetroot-feta-and-lentil-salad/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Found a pack in the fridge last night that was reaching expiry date so I cubed the beets, added natural yoghurt, cubed apple and mixed in horseradish sauce and pine nuts. Very nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement