Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus strike from Sunday 04/08 [called off - service resumes 07/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

lol. you obviously missed the part where each employee costs Dublin bus 54k and the average total earnings of a driver are around 48k-50k making them the 3rd best paid drivers in europe.

Once again everyone is bashing the drivers it's not only them on strike its,maintenance and clerical staff to

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ax586 wrote: »
    Once again everyone is bashing the drivers it's not only them on strike its,maintenance and clerical staff to

they're the majority of the staff though and the most obvious point of contact for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

As I sat in a traffic jam on Coningham road this morning . I noticed all the striking drivers cars parked on a clear way outside the bus garage . As usual one law for some and another for the rest of us ? If I park illegally today , I'll be clamped .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 sim3620

Its common knowledge on boards so must be true.
    Drivers get €50k
    They make up 90% of Dublin Bus staff. All earning top dollar way more than Maintenance and clerical who are are 5%
    So that leaves 5% managers
    So average pay as worked out by boards per Dublin bus employee is €55k.
    Those 5% managers must be on some serious money to raise the average up to €55k.

The 95% know there place so don't you worry none. The Drivers ,Maintenance and Clerical grades will take a pay cut and the gravy train will roll on for those at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

I know of a driver this morning that was sitting at a,set of lights in his car when a member of the public came over to him and spat at him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭StreetLight

lol. you obviously missed the part where each employee costs Dublin bus 54k and the average total earnings of a driver are around 48k-50k making them the 3rd best paid drivers in europe.

This mythical (and incorrect) 54k is not just made up of wages, but includes spending by DB on employee's insurance, training, uniform, canteen facilities etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This mythical (and incorrect) 54k is not just made up of wages, but includes spending by DB on employee's insurance, training, uniform, canteen facilities etc.

Indeed, and you cannot exactly include items such as training and uniform costs in the overall pay as it is necessary to undertake the costs to be eligible to work in the first place. There is a lot of selective use of figures going on at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

I know of a driver this morning that was sitting at a,set of lights in his car when a member of the public came over to him and spat at him

Well that's just plain wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Indeed, and you cannot exactly include items such as training and uniform costs in the overall pay as it is necessary to undertake the costs to be eligible to work in the first place. There is a lot of selective use of figures going on at the moment!

MY EMPLOYER DOES NOT PAY FOR MY WORK CLOTHES

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Can anyone tell me what the traffic was like this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can anyone tell me what the traffic was like this morning?

I think someone will soon say something like "traffic wasn't any worse than usual", which is because those of us who take the bus haven't bought a car yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I don't get extra money for working on a Sunday, I only get paid for overtime twice a year (at a rate lower than my hourly rate). There are people who have it MUCH worse than these drivers and those that are defending these people striking, I bet are not the people scrambling to find a way to get in to work.

I live too far away from either town or my workplace to walk it. I don't make that much money in which I can afford to pay 30 quid taxi fares once or twice a day. All I can hope is that this strike ends quickly before I run out of funds. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

MY EMPLOYER DOES NOT PAY FOR MY WORK CLOTHES

Neither does mine - although I am not required to wear a uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the drivers make up 90% of their workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that point has cleared been discussed already and is made clear also in my post. staff cost 54k, average wage is about 6k less.

48k to drive a f8cking bus? good grief, the poor craters.

and last time I checked in accounting wages and salaries included just that

training expenss arr paid by the company if you work.there not.out of.the salary and uniform is provided

but lets.not let that get ib the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

They really should get the army in to drive the buses. Have free travel too for the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Vahevala wrote: »
    I bet are not the people scrambling to find a way to get in to work.

you lost the bet. My partner is right fècked by the strike but supports them. This strike puts our family under terrible pressure, but it is legal strike action, so we respect that. And I have dealt with double figure a*hole drivers over the years too but some great ones too.

that point has cleared been discussed already and is made clear also in my post. staff cost 54k, average wage is about 6k less.

48k is again incorrect.

I have to wear certain formal clothea inwork and buy them with my own funds

dublin bus drivers have to wear uniforn provided by their company

you tell Me who has it worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Spotted a fair few people checking out bikes this morning. I wonder how many more customers they'll loose for good over this. Hard to justify the current ticket prices and there's another increase around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clare2222

HELP! Hi Kindof on the same subject, does anyone know of any sites where you can ask for a lift to work please while the bus strike is on? I thought I had heard there were some but can't seem to find them on google. :(. I'm travelling from North Circular Road/Hanlons Corner area (or even phibsboro) to Glasnevin/Griffith avenue direction/not far from Met office area as a landmark. Any help is greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

I cannit see the accounts now but my recollection is In the annual report. The figure used to calculate these things was against the term salaries abd a higher one called staff costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The unions have this country f**ked. They are to blame here. The PS unions are hemorrhaging members since the downturn. It was easy for them in the boom, they asked for things and they got them. I recently left a job in the PS and the mentality of the majority of staff, especially union members, is unbelievable. When I was approached by the union rep about joining I told him exactly why I wouldn't be joining IMPACT. I think that the unions have ruined the public sector in this country and made them the self-entitled parasites that they are (not my exact words :D).

I have no sympathy for those drivers or any of the DB employees. I genuinely hope that they are all made to pay for the additional €1.5m or so that they have cost the company and then maybe they will have something to whinge about.

Edit: I also have to wear a suit to work, my employer doesn't pay for that. It is also expected of me to do extra hours when required for no compensation because my job requires it. DB staff need to climb down of their high horses, and get over this self-entitled attitude that no longer has a place in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

48k is again incorrect.
    What is the correct figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bus driver in his private car minding his own business? Does he have a sign on his roof saying 'Im a striking driver on my way to a picket?' Sounds oddly random

By the way Dublin Bus basic salary for a driver is €32,000, which in a married + single income household is take home of about €650 pw. Whatever they can get to top that up by way of overtime, doing the job they do, they are utterly welcome to in my opinion

As stated above, the gross cost to an employer of a staff member includes employer PRSI and employer pension elements, plus the disproportionate cost of insurance and upkeep of training in the case of a bus driver over that of other occupations. I doubt a lot of people on here even know what their employers outlay to cover them in employment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Are these bus drivers getting paid while they are on strike ?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    What is the correct figure?

36k gross for a driver working a basic flat week, including shift allowance, no overtime. This is around the average industrial wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Spotted a fair few people checking out bikes this morning. I wonder how many more customers they'll loose for good over this. Hard to justify the current ticket prices and there's another increase around the corner!

You know they will blame this strike. I live next to the luas. You can't park here for love nor money. There are also a load more bikes locked along the fence to it. How many people will realise this will suit them more from now on? More punctual service and can carry more passengers, DB are shooting themselves in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Once again I would suggest that people need to be very careful about quoting wage figures.

The average payroll cost in the annual accounts includes all staff grades, be they drivers, maintenance operatives, clerical staff, supervisors, engineers, and management, and includes employer PRSI. It does not include training, insurance, uniforms or other costs.

Taking an average cost and applying that to a single grade of staff is not accurate, and making broad generalisations along the lines of the above comment is frankly ludicrous.

However, the bottom line is that the payroll costs as a whole are too high, and this needs to be addressed across the whole company, through all grades.

As I've said before, no company exists in a vacuum, and costs need to be constantly under review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement